PDA

View Full Version : Is the stits playboy aircraft LSA eligable ?

Hank Szewczyk
11-07-2011, 09:22 PM
I am going to buy a Stits Playboy experimental aircraft and would like to know if the ship qualifies for the LSA Catagory and how I would go about getting a type aircraft inspection license even though I did not build this aircraft.
I am a homebuilder and familiar with the building process from blueprints and have worked with an IA during the inspection process on various aircraft over the years but not with this particular aircraft.
I would appreciate any info reguarding the LSA qualification of the Stits Playboy...Can anyone help me out with information ?

Thank You !
Hank Szewczyk

Chad Jensen
11-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Hi Hank,

Here are the rules...

http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/lsa/likely_lsa.html

It does not qualify to be registered as an ELSA (it will be EAB), but if it meets the definition of an LSA, it can be flown by you as a Sport Pilot. All operating limitations for the aircraft are in effect regardless of who is flying it.

If the repairman certificate has not yet been applied for for this specific serial number, you may apply for it. Have a build manual or log with notes on the build process to be able to prove that it was built at least 51% by amateurs.

Eric Witherspoon
11-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Checking the specs on the Playboy (searched Stits Playboy airplane - first link was to the EAA museum), it appears to meet the requirements for LSA:
1320 lbs max gross - yes
unpressurized cabin - yes
fixed / ground adj. prop - yes
single, recip engine - yes
fixed gear - yes
one or two person capacity - yes
max speed in level flight @ max continuous power of 138mph CAS @ sea level - probably
max stall speed of 51 mph CAS (no flaps) - maybe.

From the limited spec's on the EAA museum page, it appears more likely to be ok on the max speed than the stall speed requirement. Might be worth a look at the airspeed indicator to check for the bottom of the green arc (if it's there at all). If not, you might be able to get stall speed info from others with experience in the type, or possibly even try to calculate it.

Hank Szewczyk
11-13-2011, 12:44 AM
Eric,

Thank You !...For the information on the Playboy, It was very helpful and I will look into the spec's further from the present owner/operator about the stalling speed and I will look at the AS indicator.

Thanks Again !!!
Hank Szewczyk

Hank Szewczyk
11-13-2011, 12:51 AM
Chad,

Thank You !...For the information on the Playboy LSA qualifications...It helps me a lot, an gives me a few more things to look into.

Thanks Again !!!

Hank Szewczyk

jpbernoux
11-14-2011, 12:56 PM
I am a member of EAA chapter 1114 and we are currently restoring a Stitts Playboy: see our blog http://eaa1114.blogspot.com/
Regarding the Light Sport rating, I would caution you to check the type of engine you use as it may well bring you above the weight limit, depending on the model. If you use a heavy engine, you might be left with little payload to not exceed the 1320 pounds limit.