PDA

View Full Version : EAA Chapters Unite!

Hangar10
11-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Hey Hey! Lookie Here! Thanks Hal, for getting us our own section where we can share our ideas, stories, reports, event ideas, etc. Sure do appreciate it!

Now... chapter leaders, organizers, members... lets make use of this area. Yeah, the season is winding down in many places, but warm weather will return along with droves of people that might be interested in our sport. As a newer member I would be interested in knowing how others conduct certain activities, what ideas there might be on sprucing up events to make them more interesting/entertaining/educational, what kind of programs your chapter may have had that went over well... everything!

If you have any ideas, please contribute... I know that your thoughts will be helpful to many.

rosiejerryrosie
11-08-2011, 09:36 AM
OK, I'll kick it off. Last spring I found out that a number of the local CAP Squadron's cadets had not had the opportunity to fly in an airplane due to a cutback in Air Force funding. I thought that since it was the Civil AIR Patrol, the kids should have a chance to see what flying was all about. With the cooperation of six local pilots, we arranged a day for the kids that started with an introduction to getting a pilot's license given by the FAASteam Regional Representative. Following that, the kids were organized into four person crews with a pilot in charge of each crew. The crews then planned a flight, using the old E6B to give them a feel for all the details involved. Following lunch, the crews got to fly the flight they had just planned that morning, one kid per flight, so each got some stick time in the right seat. Much more fun and more instructional than sitting in the back and just getting a ride. A followup questionaire showed that each participant learned something and that most would do it again if they had the chance. All the pilots said they had a ball and complemented their crews as being motivated, attentive, polite and appreciative. Hope we can do it again next summer. PS not all the pilots were EAA members so we couldn't do it as a Young Eagle event - but the kids got to fly anyway.... (A newly born publishing company provided free log books for each of the kids when Sporty's said they couldn't do it)

Eric Page
11-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Sounds like a really neat event, Jerry. Well done!

Hangar10
11-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Yep, sounds like a lot of fun.

PaulDow
11-08-2011, 09:14 PM
I hate to bring in the legal aspect of this event, but I was wondering what you did for parental permission? Did you use the Young Eagles waiver form?
Also, individual flights could be considered Young Eagles flights if the pilot is an EAA member. That way your chapter could get credit for some of the flights, and the insurance would apply.

rosiejerryrosie
11-09-2011, 08:52 AM
I hate to bring in the legal aspect of this event, but I was wondering what you did for parental permission? Did you use the Young Eagles waiver form?
Also, individual flights could be considered Young Eagles flights if the pilot is an EAA member. That way your chapter could get credit for some of the flights, and the insurance would apply.

We used the CAP waiver form for parental permission, as was required by the CAP, even though they could not sponsor the event because none of the pilots was CAP certified. Chapter credit was not an issue, because it was not a chapter sponsored event (they were concerned about the legal aspects, since not all pilots were EAA members) Sometimes fear of legal aspects limit our abilities to teach, learn and enjoy....:)