PDA

View Full Version : Advice for IFR flight up east coast

jrichard
03-21-2016, 11:13 AM
Home base in Washington state but I'm planning and IFR flight KRDU to KPWM (Portland Maine) this summer up the east coast. This airspace is new to me and really would like to benefit form this groups experience for routing on this trip.

Called AOPA and got advice to file for lower altitudes to stay in so called TEC (Tower Enrout Control) typically below 9000. The suggestion was to avoid higher altitudes and stay out of Center controlled airspace.

I'd appreciate some feedback on typical altitudes that work well for my rout on victor airways. Middle part of my planned flight ....V157 ENO V213 RBV v157 LGA V487 BDR V299 GDM >.

Hope someone can take a stab at this.

Thanks

John Richardson
Home base KSFF

martymayes
03-21-2016, 05:24 PM
I'd appreciate some feedback on typical altitudes that work well for my rout on victor airways. Middle part of my planned flight ....V157 ENO V213 RBV v157 LGA V487 BDR V299 GDM >.

Hope someone can take a stab at this.

Just curious, from Raleigh/Durham does V-157 go over (TYI) Tar River? After that, Smyrna, Robbinsville, LaGarbage, Bradley and Gardner is the way to go. I think as long as you stay below 10k you should be golden. I've done that route 100's of times but not TEC.

jrichard
03-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Thanks Marty

V157 begins at Lawrenceville (LVL) and up to Smyrna. I see that TYI is very close to LVL and could work as a first fix off KRDU. And then the rout I listed goes on just like you describe. Amazingly, SkyVector suggested this rout when I listed departure and destination. No mention of the TEC. But the part that seems unusual to me is, as you suggest, is to stay below 10K. Normally, I would file for 15 or 17. Apparently, in this crowded corridor, going high for small GA aircraft is not good. Typically, in the west, going high is good.

Appreciate your response.

martymayes
03-22-2016, 09:51 AM
V157 begins at Lawrenceville (LVL) and up to Smyrna. I see that TYI is very close to LVL and could work as a first fix off KRDU. And then the rout I listed goes on just like you describe. Amazingly, SkyVector suggested this rout when I listed departure and destination. No mention of the TEC. But the part that seems unusual to me is, as you suggest, is to stay below 10K. Normally, I would file for 15 or 17. Apparently, in this crowded corridor, going high for small GA aircraft is not good.

I was asking cause a RDU SID that we fly to NYC goes over TYI. LVL gets you on course faster so I'd use it.

A (preferred) TEC route should have a published max altitude vs. a preferred route that may not be TEC. Tower Enroute requires staying below the floor of ARTCC airspace so it could be as low as 6-7k feet.

It is a busy corridor as you're skirting DCA, BWI, PHL and the NYC airports. If it's a lousy weather day, being under ARTCC control might get you caught up in traffic management programs and such where TEC will let you slide right through.

I'll be on the East Coast Friday in/out of LGA. If I talk to my dispatch I'll try to get more info.

Bob Dingley
03-22-2016, 02:51 PM
I learned to fly in that part of Maine. Also flew for the military over the years along the east coast. My advice is to not regard your flight plan as cast in stone. You likely would not get the routing that you filed. Also, amended clearances are common.

Once I was going from GA to home in ME in a club plane. Cherokee or Mooney, I forget. Filed for IWI, Wiscasset, ME. Refueled at Atlantic City and refiled V-44, Deer Park VOR (DPK) and routing to take me west of BOS.

Traffic was light and ATC decided to vector me over the top of KJFK at 2 or 3K. We got into some off topic chit chat and they wanted me to pronounce my destination. Laughter in the back ground.

Sounds like a fun trip. Stay flexible. Good luck.

Bob

jrichard
03-22-2016, 09:03 PM
Marty

That's great if you can check with your dispatch in LGA. I appreciate further opinion. thanks a lot.

Bob in Florida
That's a good story and I read you in "staying flexible". No need for me to refuel on this one so we'll see how they like my preferred routing directly over JFK. And it turns out my actual destination is KIWI...Wiscasset but I just stated Portland in my original post because as you know, KIWI is pretty small. Been going there for years to visit family in South Bristol. Normally I come almost direct from Washington State across Canada so no real experience with the busy mid Atlantic coast. I appreciate the couple posts from Marty in Michigan who is very familiar with this rout. Let me know if you're back in Maine early July.

John

turbo
03-29-2016, 02:22 PM
that looks like a very direct route. recommended by firelight too. 9,000 will be above nyc class bravo which is good. look for a possible reroute over nyc or go vfr with ff from there if the wx is good.

FlyingRon
03-30-2016, 07:14 AM
Your options for IFR routing from NE to the midatlantic are pretty much either go way out into the center of Pennsylvania and turn left or to go down the center of Long Island Sound and then over the top of JFK and pick up V16 (remember unlike the complimented instrument guy that V16 is NOT a straight line).

I go into IWI about once a year for a family reunion in Boothbay. Nice little airport.