PDA

View Full Version : Chanpion wind driven generator

Will Gray
03-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Does anyone know how to check the output from one of these generators? I have removed it from the aircraft to check the brushes etc and found it to be full of oil and water. Now that I have cleaned it up and dried it out I would like to check that it is OK before refitting it.

Will

vaflier
03-08-2016, 10:08 PM
The old school quick way to check a generator is to apply power to it ( 6 or 12 volts depending on what it uses ) and it it is good it will run like an electric motor.

rwanttaja
03-08-2016, 11:58 PM
The old school quick way to check a generator is to apply power to it ( 6 or 12 volts depending on what it uses ) and it it is good it will run like an electric motor.

*IF* it is a generator, not an alternator....

Ron Wanttaja

Will Gray
03-09-2016, 05:54 AM
That's exactly what I would do with an old car or motorcycle generator but this Champion type seems to have a voltage regulator built into it. I don't want to apply power for fear of cooking the points on the regulator. It does appear to be a DC dynamo with brushes and a commutator rather than an alternator. On an old Brit bike you would connect the two output terminals together and measure the voltage between them and earth but I'm getting nothing this way. I should say that I have no reason to think that it is US but I don't want to find any problems later on in the rebuild. Thanks for the advice so far.

FlyingRon
03-09-2016, 06:37 AM
So, what do these things put out, 10A at 12V or something. Put a 75W incandescent lightbulb (don't worry, it won't light up, it's just the load) across the terminals and read the voltage while you blow on the thing with sufficient force (fan/hairdryer) . If it's 12V or so, you're OK.

Will Gray
03-10-2016, 09:29 AM
I have tried measuring across all of terminals in all the permutations i can think of but still can not raise a reading on the multimeter. I have attached a couple of photos in case it jogs anyones memory. There appears to be no information at all on the internet.

FlyingRon
03-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Did you put a load on it? Anyhow, most auto generator shops that deal with antique cars could probably test it for you. Other than the fact that it's driven by a propeller it's not any different a car generator of the day.

Will Gray
03-11-2016, 04:03 AM
Yes, I tried putting a bulb across the terminals and from each terminal to earth but to no effect. Good idea about the auto shop, they are going to understand voltage regulators as well.

1600vw
03-11-2016, 06:16 AM
I would spin it and see if it puts out anything. If you find it puts out 12 volts it will need repaired for 12 volts will not keep a battery charged..

Tony

weiskopf20@gmail.com
03-11-2016, 08:34 AM
I've spun my BAS wind driven alternator with low pressure shop air. Using a taxi light for a load is a good recommendation.

Will Gray
03-12-2016, 10:11 AM
I have been spinning it using a rubber cone mounted in a cordless drill.

1600vw
03-12-2016, 04:26 PM
How many RPM do you suppose that drill spins? What ever it is it will not spin it fast enough to get a correct reading. Use compressed air.

Tony

nrpetersen
03-15-2016, 06:12 PM
How many RPM do you suppose that drill spins? What ever it is it will not spin it fast enough to get a correct reading. Use compressed air.

TonyUse one or more large leaf blowers to drive it. From the prop I'd guess it spins maybe 3000 rpm at max output. It has to be a really draggy thing though.

Will Gray
03-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Thanks for that, I'll give it a whirl with some air. I think it's OK because by manually closing the voltage regulator contacts I could get a reading albeit a small one.