PDA

View Full Version : Need some help...trying to guesstimate cost of Tcraft wing cover

Derswede
01-14-2016, 06:45 PM
A friend called me today, he is leaving the hobby due to age. He would like me to buy his Tcraft, it is in good shape but it will eventually need a wing recover. Currently in Grade A Cotton, thinking about Ceconite or similar. I've recovered lots of birds, and do know enough to rib stitch....but would like a guess at cost to recover the wings. Anyone recently recovered one and able to throw out a guess? As always, $$ are an issue, and want to budget funds to make sure I can get and keep the bird flying. Many thanks in advance!!

derswede

CraigCantwell
01-15-2016, 12:26 PM
Quick, off the cuff estimate is 25 yards of fabric and maybe 3 rolls of tape, 1/2 gallon cement, gallon of dope, gallon of silver, roll of thread. If you prefer sewn envelopes, then around 325$ a wing for the envelopes. This isn't a complete list, but it should be enough info to get you close.

champ driver
01-16-2016, 04:55 AM
If the wings haven't been re-covered in some time, you may find some items that need addressing in the wings before cover.

Derswede
01-16-2016, 01:05 PM
Thanks for that reminder, Champ Driver. And many thanks for the estimate, Craig. Asked the owner ref spars, he said the were inspected at last annual, only comment was that the A&P wanted to do a punch test at the next annual. He said the fabric was probably good for a year or two more ( and have a ragwing A&P that will look at it for me), but he did say that it will need cover in a couple of years. Not taking any chances.

Won't ask my brother to help, last time he almost got arrested....."Whatcha doing this weekend? Shooting dope.."
Amazing people's reactions to such comments are. Esp. When it was made to a person that had to watch out for drug use...!

Derswede

champ driver
01-16-2016, 03:21 PM
Did you get back into flying concerning the other thread about old log book time?

Jim Heffelfinger
01-16-2016, 04:44 PM
Great question here about using the Stewart system. They have an STC will it apply to the T-craft? Need to used certified fabric and tapes- check. Does this wing have cotton fabric now? Great topic for my "certificated" education.....

Derswede
01-16-2016, 06:27 PM
Getting some 170 time in. Should re-solo soon. Found my logbook, too!

Matt Gonitzke
01-17-2016, 09:15 AM
Great question here about using the Stewart system. They have an STC will it apply to the T-craft? Need to used certified fabric and tapes- check. Does this wing have cotton fabric now? Great topic for my "certificated" education.....

Here (http://www.stewartsystems.aero/services/downloadfile.ashx?file=~/files/c766600/STC-AML.pdf) is their STC, which includes a list of the aircraft it covers. Many Taylorcraft variants are included. If it is not, they can probably add it.

Tom Downey
01-17-2016, 10:27 PM
Call AirTech at 501-958-1484, Wilma will tell you what it will cost for their system. it is the easiest method to do and is certified

Jim Heffelfinger
01-18-2016, 05:28 PM
To go really non traditional - http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/common-questions.html

Derswede
01-18-2016, 10:47 PM
Jim, that looks interesting, many thanks on posting the link! Amazing stuff coming up...and not so toxic. Last bird I covered was a Pitts...we used the old formulation of Pliobond...amazing I am still alive!! I'd wander out of a ribstiching session feeling I was drunk. Good thing I do not have an "Addictive personality". I am awaiting some info now....wish they had approval in the US. Punch test on the T-Crate this week, if we don't get too cold. 11 degrees tonight, in NC.

Aerco
02-25-2016, 01:43 PM
I would not pay too much attention to the results of the punch test. And, incidentally, neither does the FAA. It's not any kind of "approved" test. Old cotton fails suddenly. I recovered a Great Lakes not long ago because the owner kept finding holes and rips in his shiny fabric and wondered why. It was 30 old cotton in places. Looked fine. You could push it with your thumb and it felt fine. But one small tear or hole and it had no more strength than paper.

The only way to test is to cut off a piece (from an upper surface) 1" wide and a few inches long and test the tensile strength. I think 56lbs per inch is the minimum allowable (new fabric should be around 70). I really learned to be wary of old cotton fabric.