PDA

View Full Version : Flight planning using Class B airport as navaid?

dboyt
12-18-2015, 10:40 AM
A direct route for a cross-country would take me directly over a class B airport (Kansas City). While I understand there is nothing illegal about it, it seems like it might be bad practice to plan that way.

Is it bad practice? Will ATC usually vector you around the vicinity of the airport or take you right over the top?

Thanks.

martymayes
12-18-2015, 10:50 AM
why do you think it's a bad practice?

Mike Switzer
12-18-2015, 11:04 AM
It is no big deal as long as you are high enough to avoid traffic. If you are over 8000 feet you don't even have to talk to them unless you want to. I had St Louis approach take me directly over the center of Lambert at 4000 or 5000 ft once because they were using 30 & that was the clearest airspace available for us to get to Spirit of St Louis airport from the direction we were coming.

Byron J. Covey
12-18-2015, 11:45 AM
A direct route for a cross-country would take me directly over a class B airport (Kansas City). While I understand there is nothing illegal about it, it seems like it might be bad practice to plan that way.

Is it bad practice? Will ATC usually vector you around the vicinity of the airport or take you right over the top?

Thanks.

Going directly over the airport above the Class B ceiling (8,000 feet at KMCI) will keep you well above arriving and departing traffic, and most IFR flights using the KC VOR will be well above GA VFR altitudes.

It is not even required to communicate with them, just use the proper cruising altitudes. I use flight following for such situations, though. I also have, and highly recommend, ForeFlight, which displays most traffic.

If you penetrate the Class B, they will direct you where to go.

BJC

dboyt
12-18-2015, 03:09 PM
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I just don't have much experience around busy airspace and thought it might be frowned upon. Take care!

Mike M
12-18-2015, 03:39 PM
...I also have, and highly recommend, ForeFlight, which displays most traffic....

I have this instead: http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/homebuilt-aircraft-and-homebuilt-aircraft-kits/resources-for-while-youre-building/building-articles/instruments-and-avionics/live-weather-and-traffic-for-less-than-$120

because you can have moving map on VFR or IFR charts and approach plates with NEXRAD Radar, METAR/TAF/Winds Aloft, PIREPs, AIRMETs/SIGMETs, TFRs, NOTAMs, and Traffic, on a brand new 8-inch screen, for about $250 complete with no subscription or database fees.

Less than $100 on a phone or tablet you already own.

Or not. Your choice.

FlyingRon
12-18-2015, 05:13 PM
Even IFR I've been given IAD as a waypoint (amusingly they gave me the AIRPORT and not the VOR on field which is called AML).