PDA

View Full Version : So.... I see people flying for "Patch"

ssmdive
10-19-2015, 02:53 PM
I don't really get it. I mean aren't all that are flying eligible for the patch if we fly well? I saw some people do this at a contest when we needed more people to have the event, but why do it when we have enough people in the event? Do these people place?

WLIU
10-19-2015, 04:52 PM
A "Stars" patch is one of the IAC awards that can be earned to demonstrate a level of competency. Yes you are eligible if you fly as well as is specified in the rule book chapter on Achievement Awards. If you look at the IAC contest database, you will see a star next to the names of the competitors who flew well enough to qualify for a Stars Award at that contest. You might look yourself up and see.

Some pilots like to try to get all of the Achievement Awards and the associated patches and/or pins. An excuse to fly more.

And if you are short competitors in Primary, you can move forward with flying that category if one of the more experienced competitors will fly for a patch that they do not yet have. Flying for a patch in a lower category, you are not eligible for a trophy. Since the rules require at least two competitors in order to fly a category, we do this sometimes to make sure that the one real competitor who has made the effort to show up, gets to fly.

Some of us like to decorate jackets or contest banquet "party" shirts with an Achievement pin or patch. Its a personal thing.

If you qualify, contact Trish at IAC either by e-mail for send a form by US Mail.

Hope this explanation helps clear up any confusion.

Wes
N78PS

ssmdive
10-19-2015, 05:40 PM
I have my Sportsman Star... I was just looking at the results of a competition and saw a competitor in a crowded field flying for patch.

I did not see him entered in any other event, and when I looked at his history, he only showed that one competition.

I get having a person fly for patch for 'bling'. I get people flying for patch so we would have enough competitors. But I saw a guy flying for patch in a crowded field and not entered in any other event.

ssmdive
10-19-2015, 07:46 PM
https://iaccdb.iac.org/contests/490

Here is what I was talking about. Cliff Roberts only flew Primary (and did well). And he shows no history other than that one comp and only Primary. There were enough people and he flew no other events...

WLIU
10-20-2015, 01:09 PM
I have no idea. Perhaps he believed that it was unfair to fly an Extra in Primary?

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS