PDA

View Full Version : Fabric finish in area of rudder cable exits

EDGEFLY
09-21-2015, 05:05 PM
My 11AC has the rudder cables exiting the fuselage through some horizontal slits in the fabric about 1 foot in front of the tail post from which they travel to the rudder connections. No problem with that inasmuch as the rudder control is smooth and effective with this arrangement. However, I have noticed on some other vintage tail wheel aircraft including some Aeroncas, the cables sometimes pass through the fuselage walls in this area through several different types of portholes. Perhaps the most common is a teardrop shaped fixture with the pointed end in the direction of the rudder itself. My question is how the cable exits were made at the factory. Did AERONCA deliver the aircraft with the cables simply exiting the slits or was there some type of fixture used ? Naturally, I have pursued this topi with the type groups and done much searching on the Internet for Photograpy which might show what was done. I would like to establish the actual practice followed by the company and any related data if possible. Even if you can recommend a person with information on this, it will be appreciated.

Dale

crusty old aviator
09-21-2015, 07:09 PM
Buck Hilbert should know. The common practice back then was a teardrop shaped, 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" piece of leather (usually black), cut out with pinking shears and doped onto the outside of the fabric, smooth side out, and yes, the factory did have a template for locating it properly on the sides of the fuselage.

Floatsflyer
09-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Aeronca.org and aeroncapilots.com should be able to give you an answer.

martymayes
09-22-2015, 05:16 PM
Planes like your Chief had a leather patch, like crusty described. Higher performance airplanes had a fairing.

George Sychrovsky
09-23-2015, 06:31 PM
I believe Bingelis book has picture of the this leather patch