PDA

View Full Version : AirVenture Webcams!

Hal Bryan
07-20-2011, 12:52 PM
In case you haven't heard ...

The webcams page is up and running in the EAA Members section of Oshkosh365 (http://www.oshkosh365.org/ok365_ContentDetail.aspx?id=2406)!

Comments? Questions? Just saw something spectacular? Ideas for next time?

Post 'em here!

Hal Bryan
07-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Great timing, Hal... ;) The "Central Wayfinding Tower Cam" (near the Vintage area) is down - this is known and they're working on it.

Paul Hayden
07-20-2011, 01:26 PM
and now back up... :)

Skydriver
07-22-2011, 04:02 AM
I give up! Where are the web cams in '365? Are they (and the link) turned off at night? :confused:

Paul Hayden
07-22-2011, 05:05 AM
The link Hal posted in the first post of this thread will take you right to the camera selection page. Or go to airventure.org/live to see links for all live media.

Paul Hayden
07-22-2011, 08:17 AM
little bit of troubleshooting help.

Make sure you have the current version of the Windows Media plug-in for your browser. I have personally tested it on Microsoft Internet Explorer and Firefox.
Firefox will require a plug-in they have an help page http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Using the Windows Media Player plugin with Firefox

I installed this plug-in for Firefox on my PC and had no problems viewing the streams.
http://www.interoperabilitybridges.com/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download

If all else fails, use Internet Explorer.

Also take note of any little pop-ups that would indicate a plugin is being blocked or waiting for a response to load.

Tom Steber
07-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Are they up and running? All I get is the controls and a white screen. I have the same computer as last year. Worked then.

anngray
07-22-2011, 05:10 PM
:mad: One word: the site is impossible for most users. I'm astounded I got a "reply to thread" as usually I just get the green circle. Now to figure out the right plug in..... My computer does Everything else in the world it seems, but won't do these web cams. I'll just look at the beautiful San Antonio web cams instead. Maybe they don't actually want us to see them?

Nathan Butcher
07-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Hi all, i have a brand new computer with all the latest updates (windows 7, ie, media player etc) ive installed every video plugin i can think of and i still cant get these webcams to come up! BTW im departing Melbourne Australia tomorrow morning for AV11, just wanted to see some of what was already going on???

Vance Lester
07-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Hrm, sorry to hear you guys are having problems. I'm on a laptop using xp and Internet Explorer. Nothing fancy, and they're working OK for me.

Paul Hayden
07-22-2011, 05:52 PM
when people are having issues its difficult to help without the following information...

Operating System:
Web Browser and Version:
Windows Media Plugins:

Ian Heritch
07-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Mac, iPad, iPhone?

spongebobiwan
07-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Ian,

I'm going to repost here what I just posted over on the "Field Cams" thread, instead of re-typing the whole thing again. This applies to a Mac. I've had no success viewing the cams on either an iPhone or an iPad. iOs is a different breed altogether than is OS, as you well know. And whereas OS requires QuickTime Player and Flip4Mac to view the cams, iOS has no such animals. Anyway, hope the following helps a little.

"I'm on an iMac (OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8) and I'm watching the cams using either Firefox version 5.0.1 and Flip4Mac version 2.3.8.1 plus QuickTime Player version 10.0, or Safari version 5.05 and Flip4Mac version 2.3.8.1 plus QuickTime Player version 10.0. Either of these combinations will work.

However, I will caution anybody on a Mac regarding the new Safari version 5.1, that apparently there is some problem (translated CONFLICT) with the newest Safari version (5.1) and Flip4Mac. I jumped the gun and downloaded and installed the new Safari yesterday, and suddenly the Safari/Flip4Mac/QuickTime Player no longer worked. Fortunately for me, I regularly clone my hard drive on a USB drive and still had the old version of Safari there, so I was able to re-clone my main drive from that drive and once again have the older version of Safari on my main drive. I was not able to remove the new Safari and re-install an older version on my main drive, thus I had to do the re-clone thingie.

Now I'm back to where I was yesterday before updating to the new Safari with a choice of either Safari or Firefox."

Monte
07-23-2011, 10:11 AM
No special computer here either and they work for me. Hope everyone can get it figured out.

FSMP
07-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Works fine here on Windows XP ( same as last year )

Does EAA Radio have a webcam this year ?
Last year they did, and it was cool to "watch" some of the live Interviews.

Looking forward to the "Airshow Cam" --( with sound I hope )

Good Job... wish I could be there, but webcam ( in the A/C ) is a fair substitute.

Geoff

VIRTUAL OSHKOSH 2011 -- http://fs-mp.com/oshkosh

Don H
07-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Win 7 Home premium
IE 9.08

When trying to access webcams, I keep getting sent to Oshkosh365 page, then told to log off and log back in. When I do, I keep getting the same message in the members only tab. Won't go into the page, and none of the links to anything but the signup work. It just keeps repeating.

Tom Steber
07-23-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm done trying! I'm just gonna have to come down there and see it for myself! :)
(Actually Monday)

spongebobiwan
07-23-2011, 01:40 PM
EAA's "evil" scheme works again. :P

Don H
07-24-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm done trying! I'm just gonna have to come down there and see it for myself! :)
(Actually Monday)

I plan on arriving Wed, but would have enjoyed watching some of the arrivals. :(

Don H
07-24-2011, 06:31 AM
Win 7 Home premium
IE 9.08

When trying to access webcams, I keep getting sent to Oshkosh365 page, then told to log off and log back in. When I do, I keep getting the same message in the members only tab. Won't go into the page, and none of the links to anything but the signup work. It just keeps repeating.

Tried again today, no joy. Just keeps getting this notice, over and over and over.

The resources below are only accessible to EAA Members.

NOTE: If you are logged in as an EAA member and can't access these links (and see the "Join Now" button above) please manually log out using the link at the upper right and then log back in.

snoskier1
07-24-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm sorta disappointed that the webcams are always panning.
I was hoping to see arriving departing aircraft on the runways...

Don H
07-24-2011, 07:12 AM
I give up. :(

Oshkosh365 webpage "members only" page is totally useless. :mad:

Paul Hayden
07-24-2011, 07:24 AM
its pretty random. Some times they pan, sometimes they don't.

snoskier1
07-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Don,

For what it's worth .... I agree the log in is messed up some way.

I must go to oshkosh365.com and login, then then next page pops up and I must log in again. Then I click EAA members tab, followed by the webcam box. And then I have to press the play button on the video box.... Whew. What a convoluted sort of mess.... but it works for me....

Mark

NAA551WB
07-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Windows 7 64
Firefox

I've never had a problem with webcams. Try hitting F5 once you get to the webcam you want see. Also try installing plug ins you need and then run a restart on your computer. Try those things and let us know what happens.

One thing about the cams, I wish with the North cam that it would scan over fightertown. Small request but I would love to see once already parked there!

Cheers,
Bill

See you all next Friday!!!

today724
07-24-2011, 12:10 PM
7-24-11, I'm watch the view from the webcam tower facing East across Rny 18/36 and in the background it appears to be a large number of military vehicles that are parked rows deep over there, is this true ..? Cam is not that clear. Would these be the returning vehicles from Iraq..? Or the going into "harm's way" military vehicles..? Just curious. BTW great webcam scanning the grounds...!

Paul Hayden
07-24-2011, 12:39 PM
yes, those trucks belong to Oshkosh Truck http://www.oshkoshcorporation.com/ they make some serious equipment and are a government contractor. Its a safe bet some of those truck are going overseas.

Hal Bryan
07-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Don,

For what it's worth .... I agree the log in is messed up some way.

I must go to oshkosh365.com and login, then then next page pops up and I must log in again. Then I click EAA members tab, followed by the webcam box. And then I have to press the play button on the video box.... Whew. What a convoluted sort of mess.... but it works for me....

Mark

One of the bugs you're hitting with the login is the redirect from .com to .org - if you go straight to oshkosh365.ORG, you won't be prompted for the second login, just FYI.

dclaxon
07-24-2011, 03:54 PM
And it's working on an old refurbished laptop with Vista Business (which the laptop really doesn't have enough horsepower for, but that's what HP upgraded it to when they refurbed it) and IE9, sitting in Camp Scholler on the WiFi. So for the first time in quite a while I've gotten everything to work at once.

Dave

dclaxon
07-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Well, everything except my typing fingers hitting the right keys. (Fat Finger Syndrome.)

today7:25
07-25-2011, 07:38 AM
7-25-11, Tks for the reply RE: The "Military Vehicle's" parked across 18/36. Great to see the results of some employment new's.

FSMP
07-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Works fine here on Windows XP ( same as last year )

Does EAA Radio have a webcam this year ?
Last year they did, and it was cool to "watch" some of the live Interviews.

Looking forward to the "Airshow Cam" --( with sound I hope )

Good Job... wish I could be there, but webcam ( in the A/C ) is a fair substitute.

Geoff

VIRTUAL OSHKOSH 2011 -- http://fs-mp.com/oshkosh

I'll answer my own question, since I found the answer myself.

YES.

On Justin TV

http://www.justin.tv/eaaradio

ADs are PITA, but its better than nothing. ( Google Justin.tv ads -- {wink} )

Geoff

Adam Smith
07-25-2011, 03:07 PM
The new air show cam is fantastic!

spongebobiwan
07-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Agreed!! And EAA Radio carrying the coinciding (almost :P) airshow announcing makes it really grand!

wyoranch
07-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Love the cams,almost as good as being there!!!! but can we PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE work on getting the video and audio sync'd up.

FSMP
07-25-2011, 03:59 PM
The audio needs to be on the Aishow cam feed, so that it is in Sync. The Eaa radio audio only feed encodes a lot faster, so is way ahead of the Airshow video webcam feed.

I thought I heard audio on the Airshow cam before the airshow started, but it stopped just before 3:30 when teh show started. ( 1st day tech difficulties ? )

Great Job. That Aisrhow cam must have a massive ZOOM lens !!!

Geoff

Paul Hayden
07-25-2011, 07:00 PM
the video was shot on the tower by Tim and his big fancy camera, video over cat5 connection all the way to the base and streamed from the telcom room. At this time there is no way to get undelayed audio to the encoder in the FAA Tower.....

in case you were wondering we were streaming about 500 connections, about 210Mbps off our server all afternoon.

FSMP
07-25-2011, 07:45 PM
. At this time there is no way to get undelayed audio to the encoder in the FAA Tower.....

Its ironic, that in these days of High Quality video, it is typically the associated audio that has the issues.

However, I am sure you will come up with one of many workable soutions -- if not this year, maybe in time for 2012.

Got to wonder what Internet Connectivity Bandwidth, that New Multi-Millon Dollar FAA Tower has :P

Geoff

Walter Harris
07-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Is the Theater in the Woods webcam up? Nothing on Linux/Firefox, Win7/Firefox, and Win7/IE9. It streams black. The plugin is loaded. The other Airventure webcams work, on the same site. Thanks. (There is a program in progress. The audio is on EAA radio.)

Fareed Guyot
07-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Geoff et. Al,

While the tower does have some pretty expensive IT infrastructure, we are not using any of FAA wiring. The wondrous video is delivered by DSL line to Discovery World in Milwaukee, Wisconsin which does the heavy lifting as far as bandwidth. Thanks to Paul and DW for making it possible.

FSMP
07-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Geoff et. Al,

While the tower does have some pretty expensive IT infrastructure, we are not using any of FAA wiring. The wondrous video is delivered by DSL line to Discovery World in Milwaukee, Wisconsin which does the heavy lifting as far as bandwidth. Thanks to Paul and DW for making it possible.

So, to get live Audio to the Airshow Cam encoder, at the base of the tower, you have to get live, pre-encoded audio, from the EAA Radio Location, to the Video encoder in the base of the Tower -- and both have DSL connections to the Internet ? "Sounds" like there are plenty of options.
Any chance we will see this happening later this week, or will it not be till next year. ?

Fareed Guyot
07-26-2011, 09:07 AM
It will not happen this year. Until this evolves into an actual television it will be difficult to provide syncing of the audio. We are talking about 6 square miles of airport that is not as networked as you think. Thats one of the reasons why DSL is in play. EAA Radio is 1000 feet away from the tower and the only way to provide audio is over the web. The Winnebago County and the FAA were already very generous in allowing EAA to install limited infrastructure to bring you these pictures. If there are folks out there that can donate time, expertise, equipment we would welcome your help. In the meantime thank you for your comments. Enjoy the show!

wyoranch
07-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Let me know what you need!!! I would like to give back, you folks have done an amazing job with all of this!!!
Rick

FSMP
07-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Let me know what you need!!! I would like to give back, you folks have done an amazing job with all of this!!!

Ditto... especially any technical help. (PM or Email me)

( and thank you "The Winnebago County and the FAA" )

Geoff

Jerry42
07-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Must I be a EAA member to view the live web cams. I have tried to find them following many of
the posts here and can not find a link or any button available to me.
Sure would be nice if the live stuff was available to the general public. Could get more people
interested in what's going on.
Thanks for any guidance, Jerry

Fareed Guyot
07-26-2011, 02:22 PM
The cams are available to members only because it is through our membership support that these cams are possible. This is a small way of thanking members for their dedication to EAA.

little chute express
07-26-2011, 03:43 PM
It will not happen this year. Until this evolves into an actual television it will be difficult to provide syncing of the audio. We are talking about 6 square miles of airport that is not as networked as you think. Thats one of the reasons why DSL is in play. EAA Radio is 1000 feet away from the tower and the only way to provide audio is over the web. The Winnebago County and the FAA were already very generous in allowing EAA to install limited infrastructure to bring you these pictures. If there are folks out there that can donate time, expertise, equipment we would welcome your help. In the meantime thank you for your comments. Enjoy the show!

I was able to get the webcams and the airshow cam the first try with my windows XP [with crank on the side.--sometimes I have to hand-prop it] I can live with the live audio and the delayed video. It gives me something to look for. My difficulty as a 20 yr continuous attendee of AirVenture [going Thurs-Sun in 2011] is that the person running the camera should know something about how the EAA airshow runs. Better yet, they should listen to Air Boss for what is coming next[ or have someone with experience direct them to what is coming next. Too many times on Tuesday the camera was off looking at nothing at the Rwy 36 end when the action was at the 18 end. Then there was lots of sky when the planes were on the deck. I am grateful for volunteers. I also that EAA always strives to present the very best.

little chute express
07-26-2011, 03:59 PM
7-24-11, I'm watch the view from the webcam tower facing East across Rny 18/36 and in the background it appears to be a large number of military vehicles that are parked rows deep over there, is this true ..? Cam is not that clear. Would these be the returning vehicles from Iraq..? Or the going into "harm's way" military vehicles..? Just curious. BTW great webcam scanning the grounds...!

I agree with Paul's post on Oshkosh Trucks. They have been pumping out variations of those trucks since before Gulf War I. They park the trucks there to keep people as far away as they can. You don't see full Blue Angel or Thunderbird airshows because EAA can't get the 5 mile clear circle around the airport. The houses and buildings are just too close to the runway.

dbk4939
07-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the web cams, missing first Airventure since 2004, that hurts, but this really is helping.

Watching the airshow right, it is great, but not getting sound, but that's OK.

One suggestion to the camera man is to show some more wide shots of the stunts. OK to zoom in close some, but feel I can see the action better with more wide shots.

Thanks, Bruce King

PS:For those who miss anything, a re-broadcast of the air show and Theater in the Woods would be real nice.

Fareed Guyot
07-26-2011, 04:49 PM
We'll consider rebroadcasts for next year..however all of this bandwidth is donated. Regarding camera angles, the operator is also gathering shots for later productions so while we are offering a look-in to the airshow we do need to get our angles for the videos you are used to seeing all year. Thus we would only have limited storage to hold 3-plus hours of video.

romstead
07-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Man Im mad.. just paid 40.00 bucks.. so I could see the webcams.. and no joy.. Im using mac 10.7 .. I tried it on safari and firefox.. no joy I also tried it on my windows machine.I keep getting denied to the the members material.. man that 40.00 bucks was not money I could just throw away.. every penny must count.. please help.. I really want to get those camera working on my mac.. any ideas.. yes I sent a not to the "contact us" lets hope it is money not wasted
R

Paul Hayden
07-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Hal will be able to address the account issue. There are quite a few people watching on Macs, just use the Flip4mac plugin and firefox. Safari 5.1 seems to have issues...

Hal Bryan
07-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Man Im mad.. just paid 40.00 bucks.. so I could see the webcams.. and no joy.. Im using mac 10.7 .. I tried it on safari and firefox.. no joy I also tried it on my windows machine.I keep getting denied to the the members material.. man that 40.00 bucks was not money I could just throw away.. every penny must count.. please help.. I really want to get those camera working on my mac.. any ideas.. yes I sent a not to the "contact us" lets hope it is money not wasted
R

Robert - I added your EAA member info to your Oshkosh365 account and emailed you an update this morning - you're all set now.

romstead
07-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Im running Mac os 10.7 on safari 5.1 and fire fox 3.6.8 I have flip for mac 10.1 .. and can not seem to get any image to view.. I can get to the webcam sight but can not get any image.. I have tried on safari and firefox but no joy.. anyone have any ideas..
and thanks for at lease allowing me to get to the webcam page that took all day.. now this.. ug!!

R.

spongebobiwan
07-27-2011, 12:34 PM
romstead,

I encountered an issue when trying to use the new Safari 5.1. I was unable to do anything to make it work, though the prior day before I upgraded to 5.1, I had no problem viewing with Safari 5.0.5. Seems to be an issue/conflict between Safari 5.1 and Flip4Mac. Downgrading to an earlier Safari is an almost impossible task (believe me, I tried). I ended up having to use a USB drive I had a cloned copy of my main hard drive on, that I had cloned prior to upgrading to 5.1, and that seems to work just fine.

In your case, going back to a prior issuance of Safari probably is not do-able. I would suggest trying the Firefox route, which I am also able to view the video feeds with. If that's not working for you, you'll need to make sure you have cleared your history, cache, and all cookies on your Firefox browser. For both Safari and Firefox, there seems to be issues in being able to view the feeds without first completely emptying those. I do this as follows: I first close all open Firefox (or Safari) windows by clicking on the little red circle in the upper left hand corner of the window, with the little "x" inside it. The Firefox (or Safari) menu bar still remains up in the top bar however. For Firefox, click on the word "FireFox", then click "preferences", then click the "privacy" icon. When that window opens, go down to the "cookies" area. The boxes labeled "Accept cookies from sites" and "Accept third-party cookies" should be checked. The next line says "Keep until:". Set the box right after that to "I close Firefox". Next, click the "Show cookies" button just to the right of the last "I close Firefox" button. Once you've clicked "Show Cookies" and the window appears, click "Remove all cookies". Close that window and go back to the previous window where you'll see the next line reads "Clear history when Firefox closes. Make sure the box in front of that is checked, then close that window. Now find your Firefox icon down in the bottom Dock, right click on it, and click "Quit". That's it for Firefox. You theoretically should now be able to start Firefox back up, go to www.airventure.org/live (http://www.airventure.org/live), click on the "Watch AirVenture Cams" link in the upper left hand side of the page. You will then have to re-enter your Oshkosh365 login name and password. You'll then be taken to the opening Oshkosh365 page, click on the "EAA Members Only" tab in the upper right hand corner, then click on the picture that says "AirVenture Live Webcams" on the next page, which should then bring you to the Live - Webcam and LiveATC.net page. Click on the webcam you want to view and it now should work for you. You'll have to go through this somewhat painstaking procedure each time, unfortunately.

Fareed Guyot
07-27-2011, 02:38 PM
To all those who asked...You can now hear EAA Radio while watching the Air Show stream

warbirdali
07-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks SOOO much folksd, was watching Mon & Tues & wished there was a commentary tie-in but didn't want to ask for too much, THANKS, now watching salute to navy warbirds with commentary... this is BRILLIANT, thanks to all working on it and manning (womanning) the cam! Wish I was there but this is the next best thing, though I SHOULD be working!

wyoranch
07-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Absolutely unbelievable!!! Airshow with sound!!! Thank you soooo much!
Rick

wyoranch
07-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Hal where do I send the beer and brat money??? :-)
Rick

romstead
07-27-2011, 04:54 PM
I dug out a older mac laptop from the closet. and I'm up and running wow... how fun........yippy skippy

R.Omstead

Fareed Guyot
07-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Send the Brats and Beer to Todd and Paul in Paul's Woods...they would surely appreciate it!

waleball
07-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Webcams are great but tonight there is no video for the Theater in the Woods. What's happened?

Walt B

Kym
07-28-2011, 05:05 AM
The central webcam seems to be out of action. Will not load. All others are fine :)

Hal Bryan
07-28-2011, 06:38 AM
Rumor has it the power brick burned out last night - they're working on it ...

spongebobiwan
07-28-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm imagining a cinder block with an electrical cord sticking out of it in my mind's eye right now. :P

Paul Hayden
07-28-2011, 07:18 AM
you are correct Hal, the AC/DC powersupply on the encoder toasted. I have another one on the way from Milwaukee, should be here this afternoon.

jdross440
07-28-2011, 07:32 AM
I was trying to watch the airshow on my laptop yesterday, as I was unable to attend Airventure this year. Whoever was running the airshow camera could not keep it on the performance. They kept looking down into a white roof, into Conoco Phillips square. When they had it on the performer they would zoom out so far you could hardly see the performer. It also appeared they were constantly playing with either lenses or moving something in front of the lens. I was very disappointed and turned it off.

FSMP
07-28-2011, 07:59 AM
I was trying to watch the airshow on my laptop yesterday, as I was unable to attend Airventure this year. Whoever was running the airshow camera could not keep it on the performance. They kept looking down into a white roof, into Conoco Phillips square. When they had it on the performer they would zoom out so far you could hardly see the performer. It also appeared they were constantly playing with either lenses or moving something in front of the lens. I was very disappointed and turned it off.

I really think you are unreasonably expecting too much from the Webcam, and their operators.
Remember, theses are Volunteers, working under difficult circumstances, and are not professional camermen (I assume).

It is exteremly difficult to follow fast moving aircarft, and very high zoom levels, when perches up on top of a tower, being blow around in the wind and rain.

I really do not expect an edited "production". It is what it is -- a glimpse of what Oshkosh is all about.
If you want to see it in it's full glory, then come visit Oshkosh.
( Bring your Video camera with you, and see if you do any better !!! )

I think the Guy(s)/Girl(s) operating the Airshow Webcam, do a great job. Some of the shots they get, at high zoom, are amazing. I also suspect it is not your everyday Mini-camcorder -- probably a semi-pro Cannon ? - Holding that camera up, and trying to maintain a tight frame at high zoom, on a fast moving target, is EXHAUSTING. Occasionally, maybe they need to rest for a few minutes. I also suspect their skills will improve during the week with practice.

So yes, it's not what you might expect when watching DISCOVERY CHANNEL, but it does allow you to share and expereince what is happening at Oshkosh in the comfort of your air-conditioning, and it's FREE.

I say "WELL DONE" to all those that have worked so hard to bring Oshkosh into our homes. Thank you all.

Geoff

sdilullo
07-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Thanks for all the hard work on the webcams and audio feeds - my second monitor at work appreciates it! :D

http://i53.tinypic.com/dfvimb.png

FSMP
07-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Thats a LOT of open widows :)

Its a shame there is not an EAA webpage that shows all the cams and the liveatc Radios, on the same page.
This would seem to be what a lot of viewers are trying to achieve.

ie

Fareed Guyot
07-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks Geoff...you have hit all the points. The camera operator is a professional...but he is also gathering shots for EAA Video productions to be produced later on. The FAA only allows one camera person on the balcony and therefore we have to balance all of our priorities. I am very happy with the success of this...considering we have had three days of the first ever live broadcast of the EAA AirVenture Daily Air Show!

warbirdali
07-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Agreed with further above, considering some people are using up their vacation time this is great, and way better than last year, esp. with the audio for the show, Also you can always open more windows/tabs of the same site if needed. Luckily I have 2 monitors yesterday I had showcam and the warbirds/North on, plus sound. Of course I SHOULD be working.... Hey folks the Warbird/North cam is stuck (but now the ultralight one is working yaay) If you will send me a plane ticket and admission I will be glad to shimmy up and whack it for you! Great job

jdross440
07-28-2011, 02:28 PM
It's a shame the FAA and the TSA won't give a waiver to allow more than one person on the tower for filming and picture taking for a show like this.
I didn't know this was a person holding the camera, I thought it was a remote controlled unit.
Doing a great job today.

spongebobiwan
07-28-2011, 02:43 PM
One other point. The comment was made that the cameraman kept pointing the camera at the white rooftop of a building. I am absolutely certain that it was necessary for him to do so a few times, to regain his white balance. I know this because just prior to him doing so each time, the camera adjustment had suddenly gone whacky and was all white-washed out. I don't know that much about camera equipment, but I do know that this is necessary occasionally. I watched all day and he only did this about 4 or perhaps 5 times, and each time only for a few seconds. That's really not that much of a distraction for all the "good stuff" he was able to do. But you know what they say. "Some people would complain about getting hung with a brand new shiny rope". :P

And as a btw, nice camera work today for the showcase Heritage Flight, FA-18's, and Burt Rutan's segment with the Boomerang, etc., and the rest that's to come. (Still watching here). Thanks for showing up early today for this one

Bugs66
07-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Why black now? Something up?

spongebobiwan
07-28-2011, 03:04 PM
It's back now. There was an incident off the north end of 36. http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?155-Aircraft-incident-this-morning-....

Fareed Guyot
07-28-2011, 03:39 PM
If there is an incident any number of the cameras may be shut off or turned away from the location of the incident. This may explain outages or static views. This is EAA policy.

admiralinwi
07-28-2011, 03:50 PM
It still shows black on my computer. :mad:

Paul Hayden
07-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks to Kelly from the Bartolotta Restraunt Group the middle vintage tower camera is back in operation.

spongebobiwan
07-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Oh cool. Good news, Paul. Thanks.

admiralinwi: clear your cookies, cache, and history. close your browser. start it back up and try the cam again.

dbk4939
07-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Much of aerobatics is the patterns shown in the smoke trails and reference to the ground.

Especially in formation acts like the AeroShell team mostly all we saw was a close up of one of the planes doing its loops and rolls with little reference to the formation it was flying in.

With the cam zoomed in so tight so much of the time all we see is a full screen image of a plane doing tumbles.

Thanks, Bruce King
EAA 590145

msting
07-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Whoever is manning the airshow cam today really dropped the ball. At 5:30 it actually went all black as well. (maybe due to rain) There was alot of instances over the course of the show where performers where flying and the cam was just shooting the ground. Too bad.

Kym
07-28-2011, 04:44 PM
And the live airshow webcam has just gone black :(. Another burnt out power supply ?. Sound still working picture just died.........

Paul Hayden
07-28-2011, 06:20 PM
it went dark because Tim the camera guy needed to get his $60K camera off the tower ring before the thunderstorm hit. And actually that same thunderstorm ended airshow early so you really didn't miss anything.

dbk4939
07-28-2011, 06:27 PM
On Theater in the Woods, got audio, no video, HELP!
Thanks, Bruce King
EAA590145

Kym
07-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah I have sound and a black screen as well :(. Sure hope that next year this whole webcam thing is made better as it is great when it works. Sure makes those of us that are not able to make it, particularly when we live overseas, feel like we are part of it.

Paul Hayden
07-28-2011, 07:49 PM
There is both audio and video streaming to the server correctly, there are 85 other viewers online and I am also able to view and hear it just fine on a windows XP machine. Its possible there is some goofiness with some browser or some browser plugin and the encoding software, but honestly "it dosen't work" posts are unhelpful when it comes to isolating the issue unless you also include OS, Browser version and Windows Media plugin version.

for those of you having issues try the stream directly http://streams.discoveryworld.org/sasquatch

wyoranch
07-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Give the IT/Video guys a break. These folks unconditionally give of their time and resources to make EAA better. A little understanding concerning any technical issues and a little gratitude for all of their efforts is what they need and deserve. Get the information that these folks need if you are having issues and send it to them. As we have seen they are VERY responsive to our needs, look at the airshow audio/video sync. We asked they responded (I would love to hear the story about the Walmart radio.....). I have experienced a couple of glitches here and there, but nothing I couldn't deal with. I do hope that no one really had an issue with a person who is standing at the top of the tallest building in a 5 mile radius, holding a piece of electrical equipent (not even counting the value of the equipment) wanting to go inside during a thunderstorm, man that would just be flat out wrong.

P.S. Hal, I bring 20 years of UNIX C,JAVA,C#,PERL,Oracle and ASP experience, if you need me I am there buddy

Paul Hayden
07-28-2011, 09:00 PM
thanks wyoranch, Todd and I appreciate it.

Fareed Guyot
07-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Only a few people have been up on the Oshkosh Tower catwalk. Its exactly that...a metal grate with handrailings. You can see right though what you are standing on to the ground. Its not for the faint of heart.

Our volunteers have answered every challenge given them and we should all realize that this infrastructure is set up and taken down in a matter of days then put away for a year. While we plan for almost everything, glitches do happen especially when over 100,000 people each day are in the same small space...all demanding the same level of connectivity...from a vast array of devices.

The cams, EAA Radio, and online content are meant to bring as much of the event to our members as possible, but are not meant as a direct replacement for actually being here. Not everyone can make it but it is difficult to completely replicate the in-person experience online.

We respectfully ask for a bit of lattitude in this regard.

wyoranch
07-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Paul my appologies, I should have addressed both Todd and yourself as well as Fareed. To all of you... GREAT JOB!!!
Rick

Kym
07-28-2011, 11:51 PM
From what I read most everyone appreciates what is being provided and the work done by those to make it happen. I personally have enjoyed "looking in" on what is happening. At the start of this thread Hal clearly asked people to comment on the webcam's and make suggestions on what could be done differently for the future and hopefully some of the comments to date will provide some ideas going forward. I certainly do not expect it to provide an in - person - experience. Having traveled from Australia three times for AirVenture since 2006 no amount of video will get close to the experience of being there.

I have no issue with someone leaving a high exposed area with valuable equipment with a storm coming in (they would be stupid not to) but I am watching this from Australia and have no idea of the weather. Perhaps a post on here soon after would have made everyone aware of the issue rather than nothing being said. Similar with the power brick failure of the Central camera a simple one line post on here would have told people the issue so they did not question their own equipment or post "it's not working for me comments".

In regards to the theater in the woods feed tonight I had sound but just a black screen. Checking from my end I could access and see the feeds from the other webcams working just fine but nothing from the theater in the woods camera so had no reason to believe that a problem existed my end. It would appear that others had the same experience.

This post is in no way meant to be critical of what is being provided as it is truly appreciated however if possible a simple one line post here would keep people informed if there is a problem.

FSMP
07-29-2011, 09:00 AM
it went dark because Tim the camera guy needed to get his $60K camera off the tower ring before the thunderstorm hit. And actually that same thunderstorm ended airshow early so you really didn't miss anything.

$60K -- that would explain the excellent varying light capability, and the massive zoom capability.

Out of interest:

(1) Does the camera have any additional UV Filters filled, and a Polarizing filter.
As Tim would apprecaite, when shooting the sky, this would help to produce a far better contrast betwen the sky, and the flying aircarft.
(2) Is the same, high end camera used for the evening theater productions. ?

Geoff

jhausch
07-29-2011, 10:45 AM
It was great to watch Burt and crew last night. I really enjoyed it. I could not see the image (only heard sound) so I went to the other site I saw posted.

msting
07-29-2011, 02:50 PM
No airshow cam today? Bummer. Sound comes through though.

4pm update - IT's UP!

sailingunc
07-29-2011, 04:06 PM
How about we start a fundraiser to buy best equipment and fund a dedicated (video only) pgotographer...to do the airshow and possibly other stuff around the show all week so those who can't make it out there can still see it??? I'll be happy to contribute...trying to watch the Harrier today drove me crazy!!! Otherwise, we know the crew is doing the best they can with the equipment they have, but there is a better way to do this! Thanks

admiralinwi
07-29-2011, 07:29 PM
No live feed from Theater in the Woods :-( :mad:

Todd Ritzman
07-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Due to the shows that are scheduled tonight and Saturday night in the Theater in the Woods, we are legally unable to stream the programs.

admiralinwi
07-29-2011, 07:45 PM
That stinks. :mad:

Rick Rademacher
07-29-2011, 08:01 PM
You mean to tell me that if you paid for the right to broadcast, you still could not have live feeds? I could only be in Oshkosh Monday through Wednesday this year. So, I thought I might see the programs I was going to miss. I would vote that you pay the fees and broadcast the shows next year.

iflyatiger
07-29-2011, 08:25 PM
A big thank you to all members of the crew that are bringing us the webcams !

Todd Ritzman
07-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Thank you, Paul and I appreciate that you have enjoyed the web feeds.

Fareed Guyot
07-30-2011, 07:06 AM
The programs you missed and will miss tonight are bands. They were scheduled to entertain on-site attendees and offering the broadcast live would diminish their potential as a draw for people to come to AirVenture. Additionally, paying licensing rights for live music to be broadcast over the web is very expensive and those funds could be employed more effectively elsewhere. The streaming video is still only a "look-in" and not meant to replace the experience of actually attending.

FSMP
07-30-2011, 09:19 AM
The programs you missed and will miss tonight are bands. They were scheduled to entertain on-site attendees and offering the broadcast live would diminish their potential as a draw for people to come to AirVenture. Additionally, paying licensing rights for live music to be broadcast over the web is very expensive and those funds could be employed more effectively elsewhere. The streaming video is still only a "look-in" and not meant to replace the experience of actually attending.

Fair enough -- but maybe next year you could make it clear, from the start, on the Webcam page, that the Concerts will not be streamed over the webcams, for the above reasons.

This would make it clear to everyone what to expect, what not to expect, and should eliminate the dissapointment of not seeing something that was expected.

The same thing happend last year -- the Concerts were just not streamed (for the same reason), and viewers that were expecting to see the concert, were not told this in advance, and were dissapointed.

Geoff

Paul Hayden
07-30-2011, 10:48 AM
No idea what this will look like, but since this place is all about experimental, we are going to give it a go. The Air Show feed will be live for the evening airshow tonight with the EAA Radio audio. We are also going to aim at least 2 of the other cams to the runways as well.

FSMP
07-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Paul

Thanks for the "heads up" ... that $60K camera and it's Pro Cameraman should have no problems !!!

It's always easier to spot flying aircraft at night, than during the day. :cool:

Geoff

wyoranch
07-30-2011, 08:49 PM
What a fantastic job coverig the night show! Almost as if I was there, my hat is off to all of you
Rick

Rick Rademacher
07-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Super, great job with showing us the night airshow. To heck with the bands. Next year, I will stay the whole week with my Cub and I hope another hundred plus Cubs for the 75th!

B_Turner
07-30-2011, 09:12 PM
:DWeb cams were Outstanding ! Kudos! to all involved bringing night show to us TY it has convinced me to do what ever have to do to get there for next year to smell the smoke and hear the noise ,Hollywood has not got anything On Osh 11,Thanks again to camera guy or gal and all involved in logistics of bringing this to the members

marktrav
08-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Watched this week on a VMWare session of Windows 7 and IE 9. Worked fine. My native systems are all OSX Lion and no combination of browsers and Flip4mac worked. Tried Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc. I saw where other users were having the same problems, so I know these are known issues.

May I make a suggestion? I know you guys are mostly a Microsoft shop. My own software company uses Microsoft Silverlight for our streaming. We use Microsoft Expressions Encoder. Silverlight plugins are available for Windows and Mac OSX.

It doesn't work with iPhones or iPads. You would have to figure out a way to encode H.264 directly which I haven't researched.

But it seems that these webcams are being streamed with software technologies that are just a little outdated. I hope there is budget next year to upgrade this software, especially so that those of us who can't attend get our "fix".

Thanks for all of the efforts!!

Bushcaddy Pilot
08-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Morning Hal,
The only complaint I really have was that when ever I would ask any of the volunteers the actual location of the web cams( I only had an ipad and couldn't ever see them) I was always led on a wild goose chase, I was trying to let my kids back in Australia know were they were so we could prove we were actually there..lol They did however know of the one in the museum. Also my daughter has told me that the ones she found at the museum although stating they were live were in fact a couple of hours out of sync?

Todd Ritzman
08-27-2011, 08:11 AM
The cameras that are installed for Airventure are mounted about 60 feet up on top of the Warbird, Vintage and Ultralight Wayfinding towers.

Fareed Guyot
08-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Morning Hal,
The only complaint I really have was that when ever I would ask any of the volunteers the actual location of the web cams( I only had an ipad and couldn't ever see them) I was always led on a wild goose chase, I was trying to let my kids back in Australia know were they were so we could prove we were actually there..lol They did however know of the one in the museum. Also my daughter has told me that the ones she found at the museum although stating they were live were in fact a couple of hours out of sync?

The webcam in the museum is a year round feature and is on a totally different system than the AirVenture cams and that may explain the lag in the images. It can be controlled by online viewers where the other cams can only be controlled by our volunteer operators.

We are sorry you could not find the locations of the cams but they are not really common knowledge and this information is not given out, but its not super secret either. That is why most volunteers and most staff if asked would not know where they are. Funny thing is that they physical cameras can be seen from very far away if you know where to look...even from the air.

We are having our debriefing soon and we will incorporate your comments into our considerations for next year.

MEdwards
08-30-2011, 11:01 AM
We are having our debriefing soon and we will incorporate your comments into our considerations for next year.
Thanks, Fareed. I'd like to say I thought the webcams worked great this year. We happened to be parked directly beneath one, so the folks back home could watch our every move. That could be either good or bad, but this time it was pretty good. The quality and availability was fine.

Initial setup was a bit "geekish" however, and took about half an hour to figure it out and then document step-by-step so the folks back home could log on and watch while we were away. It worked differently on Internet Explorer vs Firefox, and I remember we had to log in a certain way or the video didn't work. Once we got over that hurdle, however, it worked fine.

Thanks for all your work to provide this feature.

Mike E

nomiddlemas
06-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Can I just have the link to the live feeds? Its like finding a needle in a haystack. Thanks

Hal Bryan
06-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Can I just have the link to the live feeds? Its like finding a needle in a haystack. Thanks

They're hard to find because they don't exist! :) Not yet, anyway - the camera are usually up and going 7-10 days before the start of convention.

nomiddlemas
06-04-2014, 05:36 PM
They're hard to find because they don't exist! :) Not yet, anyway - the camera are usually up and going 7-10 days before the start of convention.
Dang it. Thanks

jdross440
06-05-2014, 05:10 AM
How about the link to the museum camera since it's up year around?

Hal Bryan
06-05-2014, 05:55 AM
Those have been largely inoperative for the last couple of years, mostly due to bandwidth constraints and out-of-date software. I'm going to push for those to get relaunched this fall, after you-know-what. :)

psvinny
06-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Hal, I can hardly wait for them to be up and running. I don't care if they are just showing grass because EAA Oshkosh grass is special grass. I also miss the pioneer cam, it is great to check on when I am having a challenging day at work. They seem to have a calming effect.

FlyingRon
06-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Yes, be sure to let us know when the Media Screaming team gets things up and running :)

Sirota
06-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Thank would be great Hal. I used to log on and watch what was going on in the museum and the grounds year round. The ski fly-in was always cool to watch! Getting them back would be very much appreciated.

Dave

Those have been largely inoperative for the last couple of years, mostly due to bandwidth constraints and out-of-date software. I'm going to push for those to get relaunched this fall, after you-know-what.

psvinny
07-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Any news on the towers and webcams yet? Waiting for Airventure I am like a little kid waiting for Christmas.

plenam
07-08-2014, 12:44 PM
I was there last Thursday and the towers were not yet up.

Hal Bryan
07-08-2014, 12:46 PM
The latest I heard was that the towers were slated to go up this Friday, which would mean the cams would go live as early as early next week, but that is subject to all kinds of change.

Greg Busby
07-13-2014, 08:41 PM
I will be watching the webcams when they go up this week

dmbleess
07-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Last year Paul Hayden and Todd Ritzman ran a thread to discuss testing and tech issues. Does anyone know if that will happen again ths year? It seemed to work fairly slick.

Todd Ritzman
07-14-2014, 05:38 AM
Last year Paul Hayden and Todd Ritzman ran a thread to discuss testing and tech issues. Does anyone know if that will happen again ths year? It seemed to work fairly slick.

Yes, we will start a new thread for the webcams again this year. It has been very beneficial to us to see you input when issues to come up.

All the way finding tower cameras have been installed and the towers were raised last Friday. Initial testing of the connections are in progress and hopefully they can go live latter this week.

We are looking forward to another great year.

Todd

anngray
07-14-2014, 08:16 AM
So...after 30 minutes I'm finally registered. Says my member number is in use. Yes, it has been since 1977...Now....how do I find the web cams which is what I wanted in the first place. If I may say so, this registration/re-registration isn't working so well.

Hal Bryan
07-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Hi Ann -

The webcams aren't live yet - we're hoping to have everything up and running by the end of this week. When we do, you'll find them at airventure.org/webcams, and there will be no need to login to get access to them. Speaking of logging in, if you're still having trouble, send an email to membership@eaa.org - the error message you reported just means that you registered already, and there's no need (or ability) to register more than once. If you don't remember the username you chose, again, just send an email to our membership department and they'll help you out.

Thanks -

Hal

Skydriver
07-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Hi Ann -The webcams aren't live yet - we're hoping to have everything up and running by the end of this week. When we do, you'll find them at airventure.org/webcams, and there will be no need to login to get access to them. . . . Hal

OK today is Saturday (7/15/14) and 3 cameras appear to be on the air. The link takes you directly there. Thanks to all that have worked so hard on this. :thumbsup:

halbob
07-25-2014, 08:39 AM
7/25/14 I may be at the wrong place but here goes: When I click on any of the runway webcams, my computer tells me "this page cannot be displayed " I enjoyed them last year and hope to do so now-any help?

DeltaDave
07-25-2014, 02:48 PM
You maybe running windows 8 But none the less, turn off your browser's pop up blocker. See if this helps. Worked for me.

Dave

dmbleess
07-25-2014, 04:28 PM
There is a new 2014 forum thread too. This one is old. I'll try to find the link and post it.

spongebobiwan
07-25-2014, 05:31 PM
http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?5192-2014-AirVenture-Webcams-Official-Thread