PDA

View Full Version : EAA needs your vote!

Hal Bryan
10-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Your support will help EAA win $25,000 for its education programs.

Hot off the presses from my pals in PR, just across the room...

The Community Foundation for the Fox Valley Region is distributing endowments and grants to 25 area nonprofit organizations as part of its “25 for 25 Charity Challenge.” Five nonprofit organizations with the most votes between Sunday, October 16, and Tuesday, October 25, will win a $25,000 endowment.

Here’s how you can help: VOTE FOR EAA DAILY at this link: https://vote.election-america.com/25for25/
Yep, it’s that easy. Visit the voting website (https://vote.election-america.com/25for25/), enter a valid e-mail address, verify it’s you, and choose EAA as the organization to receive your vote.

Your votes will go a long way toward securing the $25,000 endowment or one of the $2,500 grants available that will directly support education programming at the EAA AirVenture Museum.

Spread the word and share this with friends! Vote for EAA daily and make a positive impact on our community outreach efforts.

Thanks for your support!

myles
10-21-2011, 04:52 PM
done.

FunInAviation
10-23-2011, 05:30 AM
And Done!

rosiejerryrosie
10-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Ditto.

mattmutz
10-23-2011, 09:39 AM
EAA does not need your vote. It will be a shameful loss to the Fox Valley community if EAA receives a penny from this program.

The 25 for 25 challenge is intended to benefit community programs. What would EAA do for the community if it received this grant? EAA has a distinct absence in its community - the community it depends on to run its major fundraiser, AirVenture.

There are several worthwhile charitable organizations in the running for this grant. You shouldn't be voting if you are not part of Wisconsin's Fox River Valley community. And if you are part of our community, I encourage you to choose a charitable organization that does something to improve life here. From nature to literacy to domestic abuse shelters, there are several worthwhile programs to choose.

$25,000... what is that to EAA? 250 weekly wristbands? That is nothing to them. To other programs, it is enough to save lives. Literally. Think before you click.

Thanks.

FunInAviation
10-24-2011, 06:17 AM
Everyone has their own opinion...

For me... I JUST VOTED in favor again! ;)

From the voting website:

Using this (your) emailaddress, you can vote once each day for one organization from October 16-25, 2011 ("each day" is midnight to midnight Central time).

Dave Stadt
10-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Done!!!...I have voted every day.

mattmutz
01-13-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm glad to see EAA is now saying the money will be used for "community outreach" rather than "education programs". That money should be spent on efforts within the community, through programs like Christmas in the air, and Wings on Strings.

Mattmutz2
03-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Does anybody know, which of these attractions have been "expanded"? From the email sent out by the museum:

Thanks to a $2,500 grant through the Community Foundation of the Fox Valley, expanded attractions await those who attend and participate!

Experience the thrill of flying in the Wright Flyer and Hot Seat simulators
Parachute an egg safely to the ground in the "Houston, We May Have an Omelet" egg drop challenge
Build your own specially designed paper airplane and enter it in contests featuring the new, improved paper airplane launcher
Explore the museum in the Stamp Scavenger Hunt
Watch kid-friendly movies in the Skyscape Theater
Watch radio-controlled flying and model-making demonstrations
Assemble and fly a free glider
Enjoy activities and exhibits in the KidVenture Gallery

Jalsup
03-25-2012, 11:05 AM
I like airplanes as much as the next guy, and I like the EAA/VAA and stuff.

That said, what is "community outreach" exactly? This seems as if it was for the area just surrounding Oshkosh - but what were the competing organizations? Were there other organizations that were focused on help for the disabled, or health care, or education as defined by REALLY helping education like literacy or math programs, or something "serious" (and yes, I believe airplanes are "un-serious" when compared to basic human needs that charities usually are formed to help)?

I just saw this thread, and it seems as if EAA was able to access the tens of thousands on this site from places far, far away from OSH to help skew the results. That would seem incredibly distasteful to me if there were struggling non-profits dealing with "real" issues in that area that needed the money far worse. "Community outreach" is a little vague to ask thousands of people to skew a vote for to grab an amount less than Socata probably paid for their TBM advertorial.

Sorry for the soapbox - I spend an inordinate amount of my non-professional hours working and serving a couple of health-based non-profits at the Board level. I'm all for EAA being successful, and I'm all for EAA even selling advertorials if that is the leaderships desire - but I would caution others before voting "numerous times" out of sheer "I love airplanes and EAA!" to think a little deeper about what you are potentially doing and at the least demand a detailed outline of how those funds will be spent, what impact you are trying to have on the community (as in defined, measurable goals), and why that is important to the community and the long-range impact. After doing that, THEN ask for my vote and I will consider it with some amount of respect. Asking for my vote because we can do "community outreach" and the PR department says so...that's somewhat insulting. The fact that the "PR department across the hall" sent this is kind of laughable as many of the competing charities probably are working on a budget significantly less than the EAA's PR department. If an organization is large enough to even have a PR department then $25k is pretty small potato's in the scheme of things while many non-profits would be significantly impacted.

Mattmutz2
03-25-2012, 11:25 AM
EAA was able to access the tens of thousands on this site from places far, far away from OSH to help skew the results

You are exactly right. EAA was competing against local charities that promote literacy, environment, arts, history, and such, yet they sought out people from far outside the area to take money from worthwhile local charities.

Jalsup
03-25-2012, 11:41 AM
You are exactly right. EAA was competing against local charities that promote literacy, environment, arts, history, and such, yet they sought out people from far outside the area to take money from worthwhile local charities.

That, to me, is incredibly distasteful. It smacks of a rigged game, for ill-defined purposes and kind of a bully-move to boot. If this is the case, and they "won" the grant, they should be incredibly ashamed over their "victory".

When I was a kid our school would have fund-raisers and stuff and if you sold the most cookies, or trashbags, etc - then you would get a prize - like a TV or radio, etc. All the other kids would get their parents to take the sign-up sheets to work and sell to co-workers. My parents...not so much. Their response was "It isn't OUR job to do your job - go door to door and learn how to sell if you want to win - because that is part of the entire experience of doing this". I would invariably lose to the people that had better parents than me...but I did what I could, went door to door, and lost. Those people that took the shortcut are basically a metaphor for EAA.

SO EAA - did you "win"? If so, how about explaining, in detail, how these funds will be used in the community, what specific goals for the community these plans serve, how you will measure its impact, etc? Some detail about this issue is the least you could do for manipulating the system, and your membership like this.

Bill Greenwood
03-25-2012, 11:53 AM
When I have been to EAA and Oshkosh for the last 28 years, as well as nearby towns like Fon du Lac, I have almost always met friendly people who, at least on the surface, seemed to like EAA, and be very glad that EAA had brought so many people, and so much to the economy of the area, and state; I have read a figure I think of $50 million or more.
Obviously, not everyone has a positive attitude toward EAA: Matt and Jal are two exceptions. Maybe the long Wisconsin winter just got them down.

I assume the local charity donation group knows about EAA and whether or not they want it to be included and eligible for such a grant. Maybe they should have held the voting in person some way so only local residents could be counted, or maybe specify the only organizations below a certain size be eligible for the grant.

I think EAA should consider giving the grant money back to the locals, let them use it as they decide. Or if taking the money maybe it can all be specifically used for a program like bringing underprivileged kids to the museum or Pioneer airport for some activity or even airplane rides.

I am sure that Osh has many needs other than aviation. I have read of a lot of alcohol problems in the area, and judging by the fact that the town can't even afford any scheduled air service, I'd guess there are problems with unemployment not counting the boom the Oshkosh Trucking has gotten from military spending the last 10 years.

As for services, just for me, getting to fly that Wright flyer simulator is one of the most interesting, fun,and special things that I have done at EAA. Thanks to Ford and EAA for making that available and even free.

Jalsup
03-25-2012, 12:18 PM
When I have been to EAA and Oshkosh for the last 28 years, as well as nearby towns like Fon du Lac, I have almost always met friendly people who, at least on the surface, seemed to like EAA, and be very glad that EAA had brought so many people, and so much to the economy of the area, and state; I have read a figure I think of $50 million or more.
Obviously, not everyone has a positive attitude toward EAA: Matt and Jal are two exceptions. Maybe the long Wisconsin winter just got them down.

I assume the local charity donation group knows about EAA and whether or not they want it to be included and eligible for such a grant. Maybe they should have held the voting in person some way so only local residents could be counted, or maybe specify the only organizations below a certain size be eligible for the grant.

I think EAA should consider giving the grant money back to the locals, let them use it as they decide. Or if taking the money maybe it can all be specifically used for a program like bringing underprivileged kids to the museum or Pioneer airport for some activity or even airplane rides.

I am sure that Osh has many needs other than aviation. I have read of a lot of alcohol problems in the area, and judging by the fact that the town can't even afford any scheduled air service, I'd guess there are problems with unemployment not counting the boom the Oshkosh Trucking has gotten from military spending the last 10 years.

As for services, just for me, getting to fly that Wright flyer simulator is one of the most interesting, fun,and special things that I have done at EAA. Thanks to Ford and EAA for making that available and even free.

Jalsup lives in Kansas City and we've had a mild, mild winter. I would certainly understand that community liking EAA, just as any community enjoys any major revenue generator - but that has nothing to do with the propriety of a bunch of out-of-towners voting on a matter for local charities, the EAA leveraging it's size and making this and effectively rigged-game, and it still does not explain how and what specifically the funds will be used for.

Just for future reference - prior to asking people to vote on something, have the class to explain WHY this is important, how you will not squander the proceeds if I do vote for you, and why this is more key than the other things I can vote for. In short, a better reason than "Hey! Our PR department says vote for this! Do it because we all like airplanes!!!"

Simply having some amount of class and respect for your members demands at least those minimal steps. Troubling that someone working for the organization couldn't figure that out, but since I keep hearing that this is a member-driven organization and all I felt it would be ok for me to help make these exceptionally simple ideas clear.

Fred Stadler
03-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Ohmygosh, this thread seems to have veered into wild speculation. Instead of posting unfounded inferences that EAA somehow diverted funds away from finding a Cancer cure and toward frivolous activity, folks could have easily found the actual winners in this competition at https://www.cffoxvalley.org/Page.aspx?pid=1038. I think most viewers would conclude that the grants from the Community Foundation of the Fox Valley were appropriately balanced.

... judging by the fact that the town can't even afford any scheduled air service, I'd guess there are problems with unemployment....
While KOSH no longer has scheduled airline service, the service at nearby airports KATW, KGRB, and KMKE would be envied by many U.S. communities with about 60,000 residents. Also, today's Oshkosh Northwestern reports that the 2011 average unemployment rate in Oshkosh was 7.4%, compared with 8.3% in Wisconsin, and 9% in the nation.

Jalsup
03-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Ohmygosh, this thread seems to have veered into wild speculation. Instead of posting unfounded inferences that EAA somehow diverted funds away from finding a Cancer cure and toward frivolous activity, folks could have easily found the actual winners in this competition at https://www.cffoxvalley.org/Page.aspx?pid=1038. I think most viewers would conclude that the grants from the Community Foundation of the Fox Valley were appropriately balanced.

While KOSH no longer has scheduled airline service, the service at nearby airports KATW, KGRB, and KMKE would be envied by many U.S. communities with about 60,000 residents. Also, today's Oshkosh Northwestern reports that the 2011 average unemployment rate in Oshkosh was 7.4%, compared with 8.3% in Wisconsin, and 9% in the nation.

The premise remains - what exactly is the money being used for, and you should explain your plan prior to asking people to vote.

Bill Greenwood
03-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Fred, I have no doubt that many other Wisconsin cities like Milwaukee have good airline service; but my post and the topic was about Oshkosh, and as I wrote Oshkosh does not have this, and hasn't in years, despite having a sizeable and nice terminal that the airlines used to use. Having airline, both passenger and cargo is a matter of the economic health of an area.

And as for as unemployment goes, it is good that Osh is below the nat av at under 7%. But in looking more in depth at statistics, the median income in Osh is more than $10,000 below that of the state as a whole. So maybe many of the jobs are not at a very high level.
Osh has the big mall, same as many other towns, and the truck co. and once a year the convention. But in looking around town, my impression is one of some decay in town, like the closing of Pioneer Inn, and some other restaurants. Of course I am only an interested visitor, not an expert on the area.

Mattmutz2
03-25-2012, 06:20 PM
The premise remains - what exactly is the money being used for, and you should explain your plan prior to asking people to vote.

I agree.

Tom Downey
03-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Thank you for participating in the 25 for 25 Charity Challenge. Voting is now closed.

Jim Hann
03-25-2012, 09:31 PM
<snip>... folks could have easily found the actual winners in this competition at https://www.cffoxvalley.org/Page.aspx?pid=1038. <snip>

Fred, thanks for the link and the info. See you this summer at FLO I hope.

Jim

RV8505
03-25-2012, 10:11 PM
I am a volunteer and donor and If anyone has any interest in seeing how the money is spent I would like to invite you to join me during Oshkosh. The EAA has touched the lives of many underprivileged local youth and gave them a positive learning experience and a personal sense of accomplishment to achieve goals that they believed were out of their grasp. I am proud to assist in EAA Aviation youth programs! Just Pm me. You just can't understand untill a kid hugs you and tells you thanks for the oppertunity. One kid is going to the Air Force Academy and another is on her way to be a aeronautical enginer. Yes, I am proud of them and we will always be freinds!!:D:D:D

Joe LaMantia
03-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Great Discussion Guys,

Nice to see that the money was spread around to many worthy causes in the Fox Valley including EAA. Now for all of you who voted yes and don't live in the Fox Valley how about writing a check to one of your local community non-profit organizations?!!!

Joe
:cool:

RV8505
03-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Joe, If you have any doubts to come to Oshkosh and PM me and I'll show you around KidVenture! The kids are great! Very diverse backgrounds and social economic levels. Donating money is fine but the best thing you could ever give any non profit is your time.

Dave Stadt
03-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Great Discussion Guys,

Nice to see that the money was spread around to many worthy causes in the Fox Valley including EAA. Now for all of you who voted yes and don't live in the Fox Valley how about writing a check to one of your local community non-profit organizations?!!!

Joe
:cool:

You assume that those of us that voted for EAA do not make donations to local organizations. Your assumption is wrong. Also donate time locally and about 100 hours per year to EAA. You?

Joe LaMantia
03-26-2012, 05:11 PM
RV8505 & Dave,

Actually I don't have any doubts about Oshkosh or any Wisconsin community, since I was born in Wis and lived most of my life there I know the spirit of the people and EAA. I have been involved in a reading mentoring program in our school system, it only cost me my time. The inter-action is GREAT! The kids do grow and many who don't have the advantage of 2 parents at home enjoy the one-on-one interaction with a man old enough to be their grandfather. In addition, I donate both time and $ to the local food pantry which has been under a lot of pressure these past couple of years. I assume that most of the guys on any EAA thread are people who like to get involved in helping people, it's a big part of EAA and the aviation community in general.

Joe
;)