PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Helmet?

Keithdienelt
06-18-2015, 09:46 AM
I have been looking at some of the different aviation helmet/headset combos for flying and they typically range in the $600-700 range. a friend of mine suggested getting a motorcycle helmet with comms since they are typically in the $150-200 range.It seems like a good idea since motorcycle helmets are made to take an impact and the mics work well in gusty conditions. Has anbody tried this?

rwanttaja
06-18-2015, 10:26 AM
I have been looking at some of the different aviation helmet/headset combos for flying and they typically range in the $600-700 range. a friend of mine suggested getting a motorcycle helmet with comms since they are typically in the $150-200 range.It seems like a good idea since motorcycle helmets are made to take an impact and the mics work well in gusty conditions. Has anbody tried this?
Not sure if a commercial motorcycle helmet microphone will be compatible with aircraft systems, but you might just be able to change the mike element. The earphones *won't* be compatible, but a $3 Radio Shack part fixes that.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/stories/helmet2.html#Details_on_the_Wiring

Information on the Mike elements can be found in:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/h_headset.html

Ron Wanttaja

1600vw
06-18-2015, 10:41 AM
I found the brand of radio that I was going to use then went with the same brand in a helmet. It cost around 350 bucks and is DOT approved even though its an aviation helmet.

http://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/avpages/ultrapro2000.php

Tony

Keithdienelt
06-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Thats a nice helmet. Thanks for the replies. I have a yeasu radio i wonder how compatible they will be.

rwanttaja
06-19-2015, 11:02 AM
Thats a nice helmet. Thanks for the replies. I have a yeasu radio i wonder how compatible they will be.

Since the helmet Tony posted is an aviation unit, it is probably compatible with aircraft radios. Many hand-helds, though, have low-impedance output jacks for the earphones. However, just about all the companies sell headset adaptors. That's what I used on the built-in ICOM handheld in my airplane.

The issue with compatibility is that aviation has maintained backward compatibility. When aircraft radios first came out, they used carbon microphones and plugs/jacks that were used in manual telephone switchboards (hence the weird size for the mike plug). As aircraft microphones improved, they had to include the appropriate interfaces so that they behaved like carbon microphones.

Civilian equipment is much different: Since something like a CB radio had a hard-wired mike, they could use a modern device in its most efficient guise. Hence, you can't count on being able to plug a modern mike into an aircraft radio. It might work, it might not.

I'm not sure, but I expect the headphone side was similar (except they used the standard 1/4 plugs that were ALSO used on the phone switchboards). The headset impedance was about 300 ohms, but over the years, consumer-grade equipment standardized on eight ohms. Fortunately, impedance matching is a simple process for earphones.

Ron Wanttaja

1600vw
06-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Since the helmet Tony posted is an aviation unit, it is probably compatible with aircraft radios. Many hand-helds, though, have low-impedance output jacks for the earphones. However, just about all the companies sell headset adaptors. That's what I used on the built-in ICOM handheld in my airplane.

The issue with compatibility is that aviation has maintained backward compatibility. When aircraft radios first came out, they used carbon microphones and plugs/jacks that were used in manual telephone switchboards (hence the weird size for the mike plug). As aircraft microphones improved, they had to include the appropriate interfaces so that they behaved like carbon microphones.

Civilian equipment is much different: Since something like a CB radio had a hard-wired mike, they could use a modern device in its most efficient guise. Hence, you can't count on being able to plug a modern mike into an aircraft radio. It might work, it might not.

I'm not sure, but I expect the headphone side was similar (except they used the standard 1/4 plugs that were ALSO used on the phone switchboards). The headset impedance was about 300 ohms, but over the years, consumer-grade equipment standardized on eight ohms. Fortunately, impedance matching is a simple process for earphones.

Ron Wanttaja

The helmet I posted or the link I posted, that helmet I use with a hand held A-6 radio.

Dana
06-19-2015, 07:10 PM
Motorcycle helmets and aviation helmets are designed for different kinds of impacts. A motorcycle crash (bounce and slide along the pavement at 60 mph) is different from the typical air crash (slam into the ground once while you're inside a cockpit full of pointy things).

Comtronics also makes a nice helmet.

rwanttaja
06-19-2015, 11:55 PM
The helmet I posted or the link I posted, that helmet I use with a hand held A-6 radio.
I see that "Ultralight or General Aviation audio can be installed." Behooves one to know what radio they're going to use it with....

Ron Wanttaja

Keithdienelt
06-20-2015, 10:47 AM
I have a yaesu fta-550. I called comtronics, they said the helmet will work with any radio. Just make sure the helmet has GA style plugs prior to ordering.

1600vw
06-21-2015, 06:35 AM
My helmet has a single plug. Not the dual plug found in GA airplanes. I ordered my radio helmet and PTT button all at one time. I wanted them all to talk with each other or play nice together. I placed my order from CPS before they changed hands. Now if I try to order anything for this setup they get it wrong. CPS has gone tot he dogs since changing hands. Before if I needed anything I got what I needed. Any orders I have placed with them since changing hands, those orders have all been wrong. I do not order from CPS anymore. But if you start with a system from them and purchase all together it should all place nice together. I would hope anyway. I just can not find anything for my single plug setup today. I ordered another PTT button for my new airplane for this radio. I told them what I had, they sent the wrong PTT button. I gave up on them. If I need anything for this system I will need to replace the complete system. Maybe not the handheld. But everything from the handheld to the helmet will need replaced.

CPS let me down big time when they changed hands in 2011.

Tony

Keithdienelt
06-21-2015, 11:24 AM
That sucks. I think I will just order my helmet straight from comtronics since its the same price. You can probably call comtronics and have your plug changed out. They are very nice on the phone and will probably work something out with you if you explained the situation.

1600vw
06-21-2015, 04:07 PM
That sucks. I think I will just order my helmet straight from comtronics since its the same price. You can probably call comtronics and have your plug changed out. They are very nice on the phone and will probably work something out with you if you explained the situation.

Great idea.