PDA

View Full Version : Hotspots...

wyoranch
06-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Guys,
I thought I would ask this here rather than the Airventure forum as it is more of a technical question. If needed I can move the question there. Are there going to be hotspots available for good web access (wired or wireless) from a laptop? I am a programmer and I will be at AV this year (as in the past) but this year because of a brain cramp I put in for the WEEK after AV (sorry old habits die hard). My vacation was approved on the basis that I drew call duty for emergencies. I was just wondering are there spots that are available to sit down and hook up to VPN fix whatever and get back to aviation overload? I LOVE my job I would hate to come back from AV and be unemployed as I WILL be there!!! lol
Thanks
Rick

gbrasch
06-12-2015, 09:22 AM
I know from recent years the campground has "hot spots", small buildings located in various locations, not sure about the other grounds. I ended up using my iPhone as a hot spot in my camper because other than these spots, the wifi has traditionally been poor and needs improvement. Hope this helps.

wyoranch
06-12-2015, 10:17 AM
That is good to know. I can always use my Blackberry as a hot spot. (Being honest I forgot that my BB had the capability.... :-( )

Chris In Marshfield
06-17-2015, 03:24 PM
The only thing I'd keep in mind is that when there's a bajillion people on the grounds, the cellular networks--especially the data network--is darn near useless. Just too many people jockeying for a slot, if you will. Will you be camping in Scholler? There are a couple of network "buildings" floating about in the campground from which you'd probably be able to get enough bandwidth to do your IT stuff (I'm an IT guy, too). But I'm not sure I'd rely on the cellular data network for a dependable connection.

Have fun, though! It's awesome!

~Chris

FlyingRon
06-18-2015, 06:38 AM
The cellular data has gotten progressively better over the years. A few years ago the ATT cellular data just completely died under the load once the show started. Last year i was using my T-mobile portable hotspot with pretty good luck (and apparently so was one of my covolunteers who was a little disappointed when I walked away from the ops building with the thing in my pocket...it is my android phone after all).

Wifi even as of last year was still a mixed bag on field between marginal and non-existent. A particular sticking point for me is that I spend 98% of the show between Classic Point and the wooded grove behind the hangar cafe and this one has some "known to be busted" wifi unit that the EAA hasn't bothered to replace. Things work better once you get up towards the red barn.