PDA

View Full Version : FINALlY!!!!!

Keithdienelt
06-11-2015, 07:09 PM
I have been dreaming of owning an ultralight since I first saw one when I was 11 years old! 20 years later i finally made that dream a reality!! Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully get to know some of you. The plane is a 98' firefly with w/ 447 rotax.

wyoranch
06-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Congrats and have fun

Todd copeland
06-12-2015, 06:17 AM
Congratulations and welcome to the group. Enjoy your new bird and stay safe!

Hal Bryan
06-12-2015, 07:28 AM
Just beautiful! You're going to have all kinds of fun!

Zack Baughman
06-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Congratulations and welcome to the EAA Forums!

Keithdienelt
06-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Thanks!
quick question, is www.cps-parts.com the best place to get 447 parts?

Jim Rosenow
06-13-2015, 04:22 AM
Welcome to the forum, Keith.

Back in the day, I flew the predecessor (I seem to recall twin pusher Solo's?) of that airplane. A local guy built it and kept it at my grass strip. From what I recall it flew nice...but under-powered for my 240 pounds! Have fun, and be safe!

Jim

Keithdienelt
06-15-2015, 06:28 PM
Welcome to the forum, Keith.

Back in the day, I flew the predecessor (I seem to recall twin pusher Solo's?) of that airplane. A local guy built it and kept it at my grass strip. From what I recall it flew nice...but under-powered for my 240 pounds! Have fun, and be safe!

Jim

Twin engines? That sounds interesting!

Keithdienelt
06-15-2015, 06:32 PM
So i learned a valueable lesson today pretaining to the firefly. Make sure the chains for the steerable tailwheel are pretty tight. Mine were not tight enough and fell off while doing a high speed taxi. Good thing it stops quickly when shut off. I dont really care for the design of the tail wheel. I will post a picture of it when I go back wednesday.

Dana
06-16-2015, 04:12 AM
Good luck with it, Keith. All the Kolbs are great flying airplanes. I flew an Ultrastar for 5 years or so.

The Kolb tailwheel is simple, but more than adequate for such a light plane. Correct spring tension is important for any tailwheel.

The Kolb Flyer (their first kit design) was the predecessor of the Ultrastar, with twin engines mounted off the fuselage under the wing, which precluded the wing folding that the later models have. They were close enough to the centerline that there were no major asymmetric effects if one quit, but it couldn't maintain flight on one engine (though it could go a long way in a shallow descent).