PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Question

Bill Greenwood
03-16-2015, 11:19 AM
On another website, there is a lot of reports or claims by pilots and others of problems with Champion spark plugs. Now these are guys with Continental engines.
Has anyone had a similar problem with this brand of spark plugs in a Lycoming? And I mean an actual problem while running,not just something in theory or on a bench test/
Thanks for info.

Mike Switzer
03-16-2015, 11:37 AM
What kind of problems? All I ever used on the 182 were Champions (Continental O-470-R) and I never had any problems. In fact the only time any of the planes in the club had a problem was when a mechanic installed something else without permission. Most of the owners I know here are running Champions.

Bill Greenwood
03-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Mike S., the claims of problems with Champions comes from another group other than EAA. In fact I haven't heard about it with the much larger number of people at Osh. So I am not even going to give the details of it here. If you, like many of us, are running fine with Champions why try to add trouble?
I am not sure how much credibility to give to these other reports, but I intend to try to find out more about it at Airventure this year.

Dana
03-19-2015, 05:24 PM
FWIW, here is discussion of the issue:

http://blog.aopa.org/opinionleaders/2015/03/19/champion-from-denial-to-acceptance/