PDA

View Full Version : How to appraise and sell a 1931 Waco RNF with extra engines and parts?

Av8trix
03-04-2015, 09:13 AM
I have a 1931 Waco RNF and a hangar full of parts. The Waco is not currently in flyable condition - the wings need to be rebuilt. I have enough aircraft spruce in the hangar to do so. I would like it to go to "a good home" where someone will get as much joy out of the Waco as my father did. Does anyone know how I can get it appraised? It is hangared in Texas south of Dallas. Thanks for any assistance you might be able to provide.

Floatsflyer
03-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Beginning here is a very good start. Contact Andy Heins, head of the National Waco Club.

http://www.nationalwacoclub.com/

crusty old aviator
03-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Unfortunately, there's no line of people anywhere, waiting to buy a Waco restoration project with its pile of spare parts. Fortunately though, there are several Waco enthusiasts who covet the RNF and may possess the funds to purchase her. If you don't ask a lot for her, like best offer over $30K, you should be able to find a good home for her quickly. Otherwise, it can become a long, drawn out waiting game.

If you're serious about finding a "good" home for her, check out those who make offers for her: ask them for photos of their restoration shop and hangar and of Wacos and airplanes they've restored previously. Those who are serious and passionate about restoring her will appreciate your request and fulfill it. Those looking to just buy her cheap and part her out, will question it or maybe ignore it.

You're a good daughter, I'm sure your Dad appreciates your looking out for his "other daughter"!

Av8trix
03-25-2015, 09:40 PM
Thank you for this starting point. The beginning of a new adventure :)

Av8trix
03-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Thank you for the words of encouragement "Crusty". For all of the times I got to fly in to Oshkosh with my dad it would be amazing to see the Waco in action again.

crusty old aviator
03-31-2015, 03:26 PM
Why don't you keep your fabric covered "sister" and restore her yourself? Are there no experienced aircraft restorers in your area who could help you out and give you advice? Now that would be an adventure! Just stay away from the sheisters who will try to charge you a bazillion dollars for bad advice...and even worse craftmanship. Tim Talen, in Oregon, is the only restoration master I can recommend, though there are planty of other good, honest ones around.

Ernie
04-11-2015, 08:34 PM
I'm late to the party, but the answer was in the second response. The National Waco Club has an amazing forum with lots of help available just for the asking. Andy Heins, the president, is unbelievably knowledgeable. I personally love the RNF except for trying to keep that Warner running without a hassle. Some people do, and the four years I've attended the NWC reunion there has been at least one in attendance. The RNF is not the most popular Waco open but it does have a lot of admirers. If you want to restore it you will get a lot of help, if you want to sell it at a reasonable price it won't take you long.

One of the joys of Waco restoration is that almost all the original factory drawings are available on a DVD. Then all you need is the drawing list, and you can get most everything you need to rebuild those wings.