PDA

View Full Version : Pollak magneto/ignition switch

IanLaw
02-01-2015, 08:40 AM
I've just bought a used vintage Pollak mag switch for my Boredom Fighter project.

Does anyone have any advice or information about checking, servicing and correctly wiring up these units? I have what I believe is the correct size/type of wire and shielding for wiring up magneto switches. I'd like to do this myself if that turns out to be practical. The model No. is AN3212-1 Mfr's P/No. 801RAD.

Thanks.

Ian

IanLaw
02-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Following up from my original post, I now have the mag switch and have found a useful item on the web covering "Care and repair of the AAF Type A7 mag switch".

Has given me some idea how to check my switch and I'll go ahead and do this. There is a reference on the web to a military tech order, 8S3-2-8-3 that covers overhaul and parts for the (Pollak) ignition switch that I have: "Model No. 3212-1". Great! But I don't think I have an icicle in h**l's chance of finding on of these!

In the meanwhile, it looks like I could use some kind of cable "gland" nut. There is a threaded housing coming out the back of the switch, through which should pass the wiring. This measures 3/4" and it would be neater if I had something like the proper gland/ cable support.

Doesn't have to be original, but something that would fit the 3/4" thread, trap and protect the cable/ wiring, as it passes through into the back of the switch. I've found hundreds of cable glands advertised on the web, but nothing looks too promising, so far.

Any tips and hints appreciated!

Regards.

Ian