PDA

View Full Version : Please help me ID this vintage aircraft items...

Merlin
12-29-2014, 11:53 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a stash of goodies from an aged gentleman, and he is of the opinion that these items are from the aircraft world...

http://i.imgur.com/qsrcjqU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jT3KBfe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wGu3yLN.jpg

http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/015/1252015/1252015_141209092347_20141206_150326.jpg

Any assistance with identification would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nic

FlyingRon
12-30-2014, 07:24 AM
The middle one is obviously a flight computer of a design that I've not seen before. Real pretty.

If I'd have to venture a guess, the bottom is an oil tank off something.

Merlin
12-30-2014, 07:41 AM
The middle one is obviously a flight computer of a design that I've not seen before. Real pretty.

If I'd have to venture a guess, the bottom is an oil tank off something.

Thanks for the info', Ron.

I'm not an aircraft guy, so all info' is welcome.

The tank is definitely off of something rather large, if it is an oil tank...

FlyingRon
12-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Old airplanes, especially radial engines, used to need a lot of oil. It might be a fuel tank but it doesn't look right. Since it's a cylindrical shape, it was not something that would have been crammed inside the cowling of a small aircraft.

You wouldn't be interested in selling the flight computer?

Merlin
12-31-2014, 12:02 AM
Old airplanes, especially radial engines, used to need a lot of oil. It might be a fuel tank but it doesn't look right. Since it's a cylindrical shape, it was not something that would have been crammed inside the cowling of a small aircraft.

You wouldn't be interested in selling the flight computer?

Thanks for the info', Ron.

I'm expecting a call from a local museum in the new year about some of the items I've acquired, but I may consider selling a few of them privately too. Would you care to make me an offer? :) I have told the museum that I will speak to them first, so I can't give you an answer just yet though.

Kind regards,

Nic

rwanttaja
12-31-2014, 01:07 AM
Agreed as to its being pretty; NOT so sure it's a flight computer. Yes, the bottom of it has a flight computer-like scale. But it also has little nubs or something to allow it slide atop something. Looks to me like this is designed to be placed atop a chart and the two arms used to show the bearing of two different targets.

One aspect is the scale on the arms...it only goes up to 110, which is too slow for any aircraft in the past 80 years and too fast for surface vessels. Note that the "Flight Computer" side doesn't have an index mark.

Speaking of marks, note the Broad Arrow proof mark at the 9 o'clock position on the top view. This indicates it was produced as Crown property in Great Britain. The lettering at the 1-2 o'clock position seems to say "9 (degree) CDC Mark 1". CDC..."Course Direction Computer", or something along those lines?

Ron Wanttaja

rwanttaja
12-31-2014, 01:50 AM
Agreed as to its being pretty; NOT so sure it's a flight computer. Yes, the bottom of it has a flight computer-like scale. But it also has little nubs or something to allow it slide atop something. Looks to me like this is designed to be placed atop a chart and the two arms used to show the bearing of two different targets.

This has some similarities to a Battenberg Course Indicator:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battenberg_course_indicator

Other options include an artillery or torpedo plotter. It has some similarities to a pelorus, too, but it doesn't have the sighting notches.

Ron Wanttaja

Merlin
12-31-2014, 01:52 AM

One aspect is the scale on the arms...it only goes up to 110, which is too slow for any aircraft in the past 80 years and too fast for surface vessels. Note that the "Flight Computer" side doesn't have an index mark.

Speaking of marks, note the Broad Arrow proof mark at the 9 o'clock position on the top view. This indicates it was produced as Crown property in Great Britain. The lettering at the 1-2 o'clock position seems to say "9 (degree) CDC Mark 1". CDC..."Course Direction Computer", or something along those lines?

Ron Wanttaja

As a man with multiple hobbies, I'm still amazed at the scope of knowledge different communities possess.

Thanks for the fascinating insight, RonW. The mystery deepens...

Kind regards,

Nic

Dana
12-31-2014, 06:50 AM
The tank looks a lot like the fuel tank on some very early (pre WWI) aircraft, if it's big enough (you don't say how big it is). The fitting could be anything. The other item is clearly some kind of navigation computer; it has "time" and "distance" scales on the bottom. An early wind drift computer, perhaps?

Merlin
12-31-2014, 06:54 AM
The tank looks a lot like the fuel tank on some very early (pre WWI) aircraft, if it's big enough (you don't say how big it is). The fitting could be anything. The other item is clearly some kind of navigation computer; it has "time" and "distance" scales on the bottom. An early wind drift computer, perhaps?

How exciting! :D

I'm getting more attached to this lot, borne out of of sheer fascination, by the hour. Thanks, Dana.

I'm expecting the local airforce museum to contact me in the new year, and I will definitely be taking this lot along to show them.

Kind regards,

Nic

rwanttaja
12-31-2014, 05:38 PM
This has some similarities to a Battenberg Course Indicator:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battenberg_course_indicator

Other options include an artillery or torpedo plotter. It has some similarities to a pelorus, too, but it doesn't have the sighting notches.
Ran the trapline with a Fly Baby friend who's retired from the RCN. He ran it through HIS trapline, and this came back:

It's likely a Battenberg relative velocity calculator or a knock off by a Commonwealth country. I was still using them for Fleet manoeuvres in 1994 with the Australians.

Of course, a relative velocity calculator can be used for many other things than Fleet Manoeuvring. Torpedo firing solutions (which is, after all, a rel-vel calculation between the torpedo and target), relative wind calculations, etc.

There is usually a third arm which may be missing in this example.

I'd be interested in it if the other Ron doesn't scarf it up.

Ron Wanttaja

Merlin
01-01-2015, 11:49 PM
Ran the trapline with a Fly Baby friend who's retired from the RCN. He ran it through HIS trapline, and this came back:

It's likely a Battenberg relative velocity calculator or a knock off by a Commonwealth country. I was still using them for Fleet manoeuvres in 1994 with the Australians.

Of course, a relative velocity calculator can be used for many other things than Fleet Manoeuvring. Torpedo firing solutions (which is, after all, a rel-vel calculation between the torpedo and target), relative wind calculations, etc.

There is usually a third arm which may be missing in this example.

I'd be interested in it if the other Ron doesn't scarf it up.

Ron Wanttaja

Hi Ron,

Many thanks for roping your buddy in... :)

I took the arms off when I gave it a cursory polish, a few weeks ago. There doesn't seem to be any missing arms (or place for them to mount).

I've let Ron know that a local museum has expressed interest in talking to me about some of the items. I have given them exclusivity until we speak, which may only be in a few weeks. I'll be sure to let you gents know, as soon as I know anything.

On a related note, here is another photo of the tank, to give you an idea of the size...

http://i.imgur.com/gk16c0L.jpg

Kind regards,

Nic

Dana
01-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Not exactly the same but close... this is a Curtiss Pusher:

Merlin
01-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Not exactly the same but close... this is a Curtiss Pusher:

Dana, I'm speechless. :o

Wow! Thank you.

I went back to go and see the old chap this weekend and I quizzed him (again) about this tank... He racked his brain and eventually told me, unprompted, that he thought it was from an early flyer, so I think you're spot on.

This has to be one of the most awesome items in my eclectic collection of goodies.

Kind regards,

Nic

Merlin
01-05-2015, 04:07 AM
Hello everyone,

I also have this brass nozzle, which we believe to be for AvGas...

http://i.imgur.com/Hd9jFPl.jpg

Would you concur, and if so, are you able to provide any more information on it, please?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nic

Dana
01-05-2015, 05:56 AM
Can't even guess on the nozzle, but it looks like a hack job, where somebody squished the end down to fit inside something that was too small. The scratch marks right where it's almost back to the full undistorted shape seem to support that idea. Could be from an aircraft or could be a part from somebody's furnace that ended up in the junk box.

Merlin
01-05-2015, 06:08 AM
Can't even guess on the nozzle, but it looks like a hack job, where somebody squished the end down to fit inside something that was too small. The scratch marks right where it's almost back to the full undistorted shape seem to support that idea. Could be from an aircraft or could be a part from somebody's furnace that ended up in the junk box.

Thanks Dana. It is a rather obscure item... I'll take a close look at the opening and snap a shot of it.

BTW, I have emailed the Hiller Museum about their Curtiss and the navi' instrument... I'll let all of you know what transpires.

Merlin
01-07-2015, 12:30 AM
So this is what I received back from The Hiller Museum...

"I’ve not seen either of these before, but the tank resembles the many fuel tanks installed on early biplane aircraft and the navigational instrument seems to be similar to the more modern E6B type of flight computers."

I've also asked a local chap for his opinion and will post that up when I hear back from him. :)

skyking135
01-09-2015, 09:24 AM
As a former Navigator the wheel looked somewhat familiar to me. I found this link to the Imperial War Museum but sadly it doesn't say much...

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30000231

It's certainly a fasinating piece of history. I have an old sextant that was used to for celestial navigation. If you are willing to part with the nav wheel I would be interested.