PDA

View Full Version : Responsibility

Deafhawk
10-12-2011, 07:49 AM
I posted this on another Forum and it got an unexpected response:
As you suggested, I requested my "Blue Ribbon" file from the Librarian. It arrived today. (BTW FYI there is a charge $9.95) I am very pleased to find that 01/25/1966 I was 17 years old, weighed 220# and had BP of 132/74. 05/05/2011 I was 63 years old, weighed 210#, and had BP of 124/75.

The first issue is that nobody has ever mentioned to me "carotid bruit", not even Craig Dunn AME #21478 who told the FAA that I had it on the left side. I have asked several doctors to check for carotid bruit and none have heard one. If Dr. Dunn heard one, he did not approach my throat with a stethoscope, it is a serious dereliction of duty not to mention that dangerous symptom to me. I had to Google after receiving the letter from the FAA. The conclusions of the very expensive Ultrasound are: 1.) Right internal carotid artery demonstrates a 1-39% diameter stenosis at the low range with some milt internal thickening. 2.) Left internal carotid artery demonstrates a 1-39% diameter stenbosis at the low range with mild internal thickening. 3.) Left common carotid velocity is slightly elevated suggestive of a less than 50% diameter stenosis, but by 2-D no significant identifiable plaque. 4.) Vertbral flow is antegrade bilaterally. My degree is in accounting but I think that means "no big deal".

49. Hearing - Conversational Voice Test at 6 feet - Fail - "tested with both hearing aids, which appear old - passed with right ear, couldn't hear conversational voice with left. declined referral for audiogram." He whispered into each ear, you can't test individually at 6 feet with a conversational voice. He had a copy of my SODA in his hand. No referrals were offered and he told the FAA that I declined referrals also to a cardiologist and urologist.

55. Blood Pressure - 160/90 "blood pressure averaged 160/90's, suspect essential HTN." My blood pressure went up as our confrontation progressed. He was obviously irritated and agitated by me and I was reacting to him.

So, I ask again. How do we get rid of a bad AME? How do I convince the clerks at OKC who apparently are just filing papers without looking at them that I never had carotid bruit? I know how to recover the thousands of dollars Dr. Dunn has cost me. I cannot possibly recover the opportunity (new aircraft and Cessna Chief Pilot for an instructor to finish CFI certification) or the time that Dr. Dunn cost me.

There were two responses; the thread was closed with a message "buyer beware" and a private message of support from a fellow aviator. Here is my response to the fellow aviator and the reason I am posting this here:

"Conversational Voice Test at 6 feet" is in the box titled "Hearing" on the form that the AME fills out like a placard on the panel of an aircraft. The dumb ass whispered into my ears. I don't want him flying over my house with that level of stupidity. As aviators we have a duty to eliminate that type of behavior because it is dangerous for all of us as well as the public.

Discovering a dangerous symptom like carotid bruit and not informing the patient is medical malpractice. Terrorism actually, because I felt terror when I Googled carotid bruit after receiving the letter from the FAA. The medical community has a responsibility to eliminate that behavior from their profession.

Lying about carotid bruit on a medical exam form is illegal and the FAA has a responsibility to prosecute that. An Airman who lies on the same form goes to jail.

So, as aviators all that you and I have to worry about is getting the dumb SOB out of aviation. Bruce may be right, the "bad AMEs fall by the wayside". With the changes coming in third class this AME wont have any third class business. Just imagine the damage he WILL do in first class medicals. We must do what we can to eliminate Craig Dunn from aviation now. It is our (since we are the ones who know about it) responsibility.