PDA

View Full Version : Lost Carriage Returns

rwanttaja
10-29-2014, 11:56 AM
I recently upgraded one of my computers from IE8 to IE11.Now when I post, all carriage returns are lost and the posting merges into one amphorous blob.Every sentence of this has been on a separate line.....Any ideas?Ron Wanttaja

lnuss
10-29-2014, 12:43 PM
I don't know much about I.E. but I suspect it is related to the way returns are handled in different programs. They could be a single character (^J, I think, where ^=control key) that gives a complete down one line then back to the beginning of the line, or the two character set (^J^M, I think) that does the same, one dropping to the next line, the other returning. So it's likely something in the specific setup you have in I.E.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but it's been a long time since I've run I.E.

rwanttaja
10-29-2014, 07:56 PM
I don't know much about I.E. but I suspect it is related to the way returns are handled in different programs. They could be a single character (^J, I think, where ^=control key) that gives a complete down one line then back to the beginning of the line, or the two character set (^J^M, I think) that does the same, one dropping to the next line, the other returning. So it's likely something in the specific setup you have in I.E.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but it's been a long time since I've run I.E.

That last is something you should be proud about.

My thought is maybe it's issuing a Character 12 (eject/page feed) instead of a Character 13 (carriage return). But one would hope, when upgrading from an earlier version, that IE would copy the settings from the previous.

Oh, well...too much to ask, I guess.

The strange thing is that this post is ALSO posted using IE 11....but from a different computer. No problems.

Ron Wanttaja

rleffler
10-30-2014, 06:29 AM
Is compatibility mode turned on one of the PCs?

Hal Bryan
10-30-2014, 06:55 AM
There are a couple of known issues with some versions of IE and vBulletin (the forum software) - take a look at the workarounds here and see if either of them apply:

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?3704-Carriage-Return-doesn-t-work-with-Internet-Explorer-10

rwanttaja
11-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Thanks Hal. The original PC I was having trouble with is at work and I haven't been able to access it to see if these fixes work.

However... Just today my Firefox browser started exhibiting the same behavior, right out of the blue. I went to my settings and changed to the Enhanced Editor from the WYSIWYG editor, and was able to edit the bad posting to look reasonable again.

Seems weird that this is just popping up.

Ron Wanttaja