PDA

View Full Version : Iphone/ipad GPS

Glocknug
08-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Hi,

Ive started searching for a gps for my weight shift trike and noticed that there are several apps available for the Iphone. The more popular one is ForeFlight.

This appears a bit excessive and goes for about 80 bucks a year. Are there any more affordable and simpler apps available for ultralight gps?

I would be interested in heading to airport, groundspeed, altimeter, eta, etc. nothing to fancy.

Any suggestions?

Kyle Boatright
08-12-2014, 09:17 PM
Might I suggest an older dedicated aviation GPS? <$100 on Ebay gets you a good older Lowrance or Garmin.

Even without current databases (airports rarely move), the GPS's are (IMO) a more robust solution than an iWhatever...

Glocknug
08-12-2014, 10:02 PM
If I could find one on ebay/amazon for less than $100, Id be sold! I dont see em anywhere for leas than 250 or so

MEdwards
08-13-2014, 01:18 AM
I use WingX Pro for the iPad, which is about the same cost as ForeFlight. If you have an Android phone check out Avare. People seem to like it. The price is right, it's free.

madwinger
08-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Check out iflygps.com The have a really great app for an iPad that is very easy to use and intuitive or a stand alone 5 and 7 inch units.

Mark

Jeff Boatright
08-13-2014, 07:27 PM
I've had very good luck with Foreflight on an iPhone. I get realtime weather and planning navigation on the ground, and of course, moving map GPS in flight. The small screen is fine for the type of flying I do (Pietenpol), but I could see someone wanting a slightly larger screen, like an iPad Mini. I have tested a full-sized iPad and it's a bit too large. The internal GPS receiver of the iPhone is also meets my needs.

EuropaPete
08-14-2014, 07:44 PM
FltPlan GO Can't get any cheaper than free! With all the plates and charts...and for me, canada too! :-)

Cheers

Glocknug
08-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Regarding forflight, wingx, or the garmin iPhone/Ipad app... If you pay for a year, and dont resubscribe, does this terminate the gps option? I have heard that it might just stop the updated map downloads. Does the app still provide gps flight tracking on the old maps?

Mike M
08-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Hi,

Ive started searching for a gps for my weight shift trike and noticed that there are several apps available for the Iphone. The more popular one is ForeFlight.

This appears a bit excessive and goes for about 80 bucks a year. Are there any more affordable and simpler apps available for ultralight gps?

I would be interested in heading to airport, groundspeed, altimeter, eta, etc. nothing to fancy.

Any suggestions?

Do you already own an apple product?

Glocknug
08-19-2014, 08:20 PM
I do

Tenfour
01-27-2015, 09:39 PM
I can't speak in depth on Foreflight or WingX, but I do use the Garmin Pilot app on my iPad mini with the Garmin GDL39 GPS receiver. When your subscription ends, you are no longer able to log in to the app.

Foreflight and Garmin Pilot allow you to install the app and try them, fully functional, for 30 days. Both apps are pretty similar, and both had features that I really liked. In the end I settled on Garmin Pilot because it allows you to customize the moving map as either a sectional or the GPS style similar to what you are used to seeing in your car based GPS units. Foreflight is sectional only. Garmin also offers a feature that overlays airport diagrams right on the moving map, complete with runway and taxiway designators, and will automatically zoom in as you near the airport.

Both Garmin and Foreflight use proprietary GPS receivers (GDL 39 or GLO for Garmin and Stratus for Foreflight), but will also operate on wifi or cellular data.

The nice thing about the iPad/iPhone apps is that they are constantly being updated and will notify you when updates are released or navigational data is out of date. Both have very intuitive interfaces.

FlyingRon
01-28-2015, 06:15 AM
Do you need an aviation map for your kind of flying. How about just using the standard mapping (or google maps)?

Mike M
01-28-2015, 07:51 AM
I do

Then I concur with EuropaPete, try fltplan go. Free, works. Avare is my first choice but it only works on android.

MEdwards
01-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Do you need an aviation map for your kind of flying. How about just using the standard mapping (or google maps)?Apple Maps or Google Maps requires an Internet connection while you are navigating. The aviation apps, even the free ones like Avare, do not.

Mike E

Tenfour
01-28-2015, 04:02 PM
You could try using the standard mapping apps like Apple Maps and Google Maps. MEdwards is correct, both of these apps need a connection either through wifi or cellular data as they use real time mapping information. I've even heard of pilots in larger certified aircraft using this method in a pinch. As long as there is cell signal where you are flying, I don't see why you couldn't do this.

If you wanted actual GPS and were looking to keep costs down, fltplan go looks like it could be a candidate. Couple that with an inexpensive Bluetooth GPS receiver like the Garmin GLO or similar model from Dual and you'd be set. You can get receivers like these for less than $100 new ($80 or less used if you look in the right places).

Mike M
01-28-2015, 05:34 PM
... As long as there is cell signal where you are flying, I don't see why you couldn't do this...

And that is why I can't do that. Experience. Cellphone service isn't available most places I fly, at any altitude. Plus, violation of FCC regs to use cellphone in flight and cell providers know that. With GPS in the phones, cell service seems to know phone's altitude. My carrier denies service (says that on the display) above roughly 1500' AGL. Your mileage may vary.

Jeremy Leasor
03-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Have a look at SkyDemon. It's designed for iPhones and iPads and is increasingly popular on this side of the pond. It also seems to have charts for North America.

stressedout72
05-26-2015, 04:08 PM
you need to get a Bad Elf pro external gps!! (http://bad-elf.com/)I use one with my Ipad and Iphone along with the Foreflight (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/foreflight-mobile/id333252638?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4) app all is sweet and it all integrates well. BTW the GPS is very reasonably priced!!

Dana
05-26-2015, 06:14 PM
I don't know about Apple, but Google Maps (on Android at least) does not require an internet connection while navigating if you download the map areas in advance.