PDA

View Full Version : Long distance towing

WWhunter
10-09-2011, 07:00 AM
I will be headed to the Ft. Meade, MD area mid December to spend a few months. This will be around 1300+ miles. I am wanting to bring my S-7 along so I can do some flying while I am there. Since I need a vehicle while I am there I have given the tought of removing the wings on the plane and bringing it along via trailer. Has anyone had much experience in doing this?
Also, what would be the best 'direction' to face the fuselage? I have seen them towed both ways, facing forward and backwards. Only advantage to backwards that I can think of would be to save the windshield and leading edges from debris thrown up from the road.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Keith

PaulDow
10-09-2011, 07:55 AM
I don't have towing experience, but I do have experience with wind blowing backward across my plane. A gust front came through, and I only had the pin gust lock in place. The flutter or forces bent the elevator sheet metal. Of course with the windshield facing forward, you should put some protection on, but nothing that will flap or move in the wind that would cause scratches.

Dana
10-09-2011, 08:02 AM
I regularly tow my plane, but it (Kolb) is made for it. An enclosed trailer is, of course, best. 1300 miles is a long way, especially on an open trailer. Second best is an open trailer with a V shaped wind deflector in front of the plane. Forward or back will depend partly on the trailer design; naturally if it's backward you will need good gust locks.

One other thing to consider is the trailer's design load. A trailer designed for a heavy load will have stiff springs; then if you load it with a relatively light plane it will be oversprung and the plane will take a lot of pounding.

Hank
10-10-2011, 03:00 PM
You may be better served to suck it up and make a two trips. Fly or drive the first time, depending on weather; later, go home for the other vehicle. Just be aware of the enhanced P-40 for Camp David, and the wonderful SFRA around DC, and take the on-line class so you will have your printed proof that you've taken the training. Personally, I stay >60 nm away from the area so I haven't bothered with the training yet.

WWhunter
10-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Hank,
I am not sure I can do that (fly and then drive) but that has been the other option on my mind. The time though is the issue. I am trying to close things up here at my house for winter and it is coming quicker than I want. :(
I lived a couple miles north of Camp David in the early 90's and YES, that area sucks! Back then it wasn't to much of a pain but with the new changes in airspaces and rules in that entire area I have been thinking maybe I will just not fly all winter. Getting pretty tired of having to deal with more and more rules and regulations.
Thank you,
Keith