PDA

View Full Version : Aerolite 103

madwinger
07-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Hi, my name is Mark, I live in Bountiful, Utah, I purchased an Air Command Elite CLT last summer and have been rebuilding it over the last year. I have it up for sale and if I get it sold I would like to get an Aerolite 103. I have 67 hours of training in Piper Tomahawks, and most recently Cessna Skycatcher and am finishing my Sport Cert. this fall. I plan to rent LSA's from time to time as I don't believe owning an LSA fixed wing is in the future for me so I think i would like an ultra lite to just have some fun in.

Has any one had any experience with the Aerolite 103? Positive or Negative. I made the mistake of just going and getting this gyro without asking any one and I dont think it is really for me. I dont want to make the same mistake with Ultra Lite.

My elevation is 4800 feet and I working on getting down below 200 lbs.

Would the Aerolite 103 be a good fit?

Thanks for any and all input.

Mark

jedi
07-23-2014, 03:07 AM
Aerolight was a good company in the past but it is now under new management. I like the product but do not know about your altitude and weight. I have nothing bad to say but my data is limited to looking and talking to former Aerolight 103 pilots much lighter and in FL. I can try to find out more at Airventure if they are there.

madwinger
07-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the input Jedi, I emailed Ufly-It today with some questions. Have not heard back as of yet. Its funny how long it takes to get an email response from a lot of these companies. Hope its cause they are busy with business and not a lack of motivation to communicate.

Density altitude here is a concern but not insurmountable. If they have some basic performance date that would be helpful. For as small as it is it has a pretty good useful load. My biggest concern is thrust to weight ratio at elevation and density altitude so I will be looking at the Rotax 447 or 503 option if that still keeps it in the part 103 arena. Again I dont know so im just asking questions.

Thanks again

Mark

Buzz
07-26-2014, 07:39 AM
There are some other forums on the Internet you might want to try. There is another one that I've come across that is pretty active. I'll be doggone if I can locate it again. Seems to have been about both ultralights and light sport flying. Maybe someone else know which one I'm referring to. If you put a post in some other places, you should be able to find out about the Aerolite.

As far as the design, I got to know Terry before he designed the Aerolite and start building them. He has a reputation of being a really straight up, smart guy and the design has had a lot of positive comments over the years. I thought he sold the company a while back but I wouldn't hesitate personally buying one if it's criteria met what I was looking for.

Buzz
07-26-2014, 01:59 PM
There are some other forums on the Internet you might want to try. There is another one that I've come across that is pretty active.
Homebuiltairplanes.com is a good site to post an inquiry on.

madwinger
07-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the lead on the other forums. I believe the new manufacturer of the Aerolite has not changed a thing from the when Terry owned and built them. I really like the aircraft and think one would just fit my needs to scratch that flying itch.

Thanks again for the input.

Mark