PDA

View Full Version : mini max Eros

fishman
07-17-2014, 10:34 AM
I am looking in to building a mini max Eros as an ultralight I am looking for tips and observations

Sam Buchanan
07-17-2014, 06:39 PM
I am looking in to building a mini max Eros as an ultralight I am looking for tips and observations

The TEAM Eros is a fine little plane but it will be impossible to build it compliant with Part 103 (ie, an ultralight). It will be about 150 lbs too heavy and the recommended engine will fly it too fast to meet Part 103. Probably too much fuel but guess you could fix that issue.

If you want Part 103, TEAM offers the Max 103.

Here is my TEAM 1100 about twenty years ago:

Have you considered a Legal Eagle? Here is mine:

fishman
07-17-2014, 07:30 PM
I have I just had a wonderful chance on this. I will look into it .thankyou

fishman
07-18-2014, 08:23 AM
Also could I use the kit for the Eros and get Legal Eagle plans ? The ribs are built . Could I just use Eros Wings and put them on a Legal Eagle fuselage

Sam Buchanan
07-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Also could I use the kit for the Eros and get Legal Eagle plans ? The ribs are built . Could I just use Eros Wings and put them on a Legal Eagle fuselage

Well....just about anything is possible, but not always practical. Any deviation from a designer's plans will result in an exponential increase in build time and complexity, often with the risk of an unsafe aircraft. You basically become an engineer and test pilot, qualified or not.....

The Legal Eagle wing is based on the Minimax wing but uses different ailerons and trailing edge. You might be able to use the Max ribs for building a Legal Eagle wing, you would need to do a close comparison to make that determination. That is pretty deep for someone with no building experience.

I think you would be best served deciding on one design and building it per plans.

fishman
07-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Are there any plans out there that have done what I am trying to do? Or just not add canopy fuselage covering,brakes, smaller engine,etc.

Sam Buchanan
07-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Are there any plans out there that have done what I am trying to do? Or just not add canopy fuselage covering,brakes, smaller engine,etc.

I'll take one last stab at this. ;)

I assume you have purchased an Eros kit but you want a Part 103 aircraft. If this is the case, you might consider downloading the Max 1100R plans (they are free) and using the material in your kit to build a 103 compliant 1100R. Since the Eros is a more complex aircraft, it is likely all the material for an 1100R would be present. Joining the TEAM Minimax users group is highly recommended...don't try to be a lone wolf.

Best wishes for an enjoyable, and safe, project.

fishman
07-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Never thought of that. Thank you very much. :thumbsup: