PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend a 2-seat amphibious ultralight kit?

groatski
06-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Looking to build a 2-seat amphibious ultralight after I finish with my RV-10, it will be a nice 'light' project after that beast. I'd like it to have the following features:

- Open cockpit
- Standard stick controls (no weight-shifting).
- Can be broken down to be trailered or stored in a standard garage.

Can anyone recommend a kit/plans that would fit the bill?

Thanx
--Dave--

FlyingRon
06-16-2014, 10:39 AM
There's no such thing as a two seat ultralight.

There are a number of nice light sport amphibs. We get a visit from Sea Rays from time to time at our strip (we're a 3000' grass strip that's located on a 30+ mile long lake).

Floatsflyer
06-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Since you haven't specified your definition of amphibious, I'm going to conclude that you mean a "flying boat" as opposed to any aircraft you can merely attach amphibious floats.

Keeping in mind what Ron has advised you of, the only kits that meet your criteria is the Aventura line that's been in production for 2+ decades and the Catalina, formerly from Avid that's also been around for a long time. I'm pretty sure the original design for the Aventura came from the makers of the SeaRey.

http://www.sea-plane.com/

http://flyeasyaircraft.com/

groatski
06-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Thank you.

I guess I've been out of the loop for a while regarding ultralights. Last time I seriously looked at them was Jr. High School back in the mid-80s, and back then you could get 2-seat ultralights.

As far as 'flying boat' vs 'attached floats' I'm really not too picky right now. Just starting to look into it.

jhausch
06-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Maybe a Quad City Challenger on Full Lotus floats?

Dana
06-17-2014, 05:23 AM
Back then 2-seat ultralights were permitted, but for flight instruction only. Today they're not allowed at all. If it has more than one seat it's not an ultralight so you need an N-number, pilot certificate, etc., etc.

zaitcev
06-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Aventura springs to mind immediately, but AFAIK it's not a folder. If groatski insists on item #3, he needs to look into something like a Kolb on floats.

Tanille Elaine DeLair
06-24-2014, 11:01 AM
I am a dealer for Aero Adventure - the company that makes the Aventura II. I have had mine for a few years and love her with all of my heart! I have not tried to break the wings down on my girl, but I remember a couple of brothers used to keep an AVII in a tractor trailer at the factory in Rockledge, Fl. Seems like for two guys it took 30-40 minutes.. Let me know if you are interested in a Demo ride! Im in NY over the summer and in southern Florida for the winter.

Buzz
07-10-2014, 06:24 AM
Looking to build a 2-seat amphibious ultralight after I finish with my RV-10, it will be a nice 'light' project after that beast. I'd like it to have the following features:

- Open cockpit
- Standard stick controls (no weight-shifting).
- Can be broken down to be trailered or stored in a standard garage.

Can anyone recommend a kit/plans that would fit the bill?

Thanx
--Dave--For the money, a Quicksilver Sprint II is a lot of fun flying. I have flown a number of seaplane pilots that have said it's the most fun seaplane flying they've done. Sprint II has good performance on a Rotax 582. I've had mine up to 12,500 feet and flown someone over 300 lbs. [I pull the amphib gear off if I'm on the water for a weekend.]

jedi
07-23-2014, 03:44 AM
Maybe a Quad City Challenger on Full Lotus floats?

No. Not that! Quicksilver or Avid mayby. Sea Ray came from the Aventura not the other way around. Flew a nice Flightstar (R 912) on amphibs and was impressed. I also like the Corsario Mark II now available as an SLSA.

FlyingRon
07-23-2014, 04:08 AM
My wife has been pushing for the quicksilver on floats for a while. We live on an airstrip that sticks out into a 40 mile long lake.

jhausch
07-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Possible good candidate....

http://www.lonepalmaero.com/Lone_Palm_Aero/The_Groppo_Trail.html

jedi
07-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Possible good candidate....

http://www.lonepalmaero.com/Lone_Palm_Aero/The_Groppo_Trail.html

Good plane but not UL like. Recommended if that is what you want. If the airfield stickes out into the lake why the wheels. Wheels are a big disadvantage with floats. Can you put it on a trailer for launch?

I can send a word document about the Trail but do not see a way to attach it. Could be posted in the Experimenter.

Buzz
07-23-2014, 08:11 PM
My wife has been pushing for the quicksilver on floats for a while.Ron, don't bother with anything other than the single surface Sprint II. The double surface Quicksilvers are dogs on floats according to everyone who has had one I've known. Long take off runs and they won't lift much in the passenger seat.

Need the high lift airfoil of the single surface wing.