PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

magpie@hwy2.com
06-10-2014, 10:39 AM
My name is John Anderson and I live in North Central Montana near the Canadian border. I've been a pilot since the early 80's with time off for lack of funds or building/refurbishing my airplanes. I've just returned to flying after a long bout of neck surgeries. I have 2 airplanes. A VariEze I built and flown 500+ hours and a refurbished Kasperwing ultralight I've flown 3 times. I've owned a Citabria and a Luscombe in the past.

The VariEze has been down since I brought it home for speed mods and updates right before I started the neck work. I plan on getting back to work on it this winter. It's a awesome airplane that I miss flying.

I recently started flying my refurbished Kasperwing but grounded it after 3 flights when the climb rate with the 250cc Zenoah proved to be inadequate because of elevation and my 206lbs flying weight. I'm at the start of upgrading to a Kawasaki 440A and hope to be flying it again in August, right after the winter wheat in my flying field is harvested. But, this isn't my first rodeo so it'll be done when it's done.

For a long time I've wanted explore the flying life while meeting the letter of Part 103. The Kasperwing with the Zenoah (or Kaw440A) is very much a legal Part 103 Ultralight weighing about 200lbs (I weighed it) and easily meeting all other Part 103 criteria. The engine upgrade will add about 25lbs or so+ and it will still be well under 254lbs. It can be done. I have my Kasperwing registered E117JA with the EAA registration program.

I've found the Part 103 community alive and well but fragmented into various type groups/forums and local clubs. I have hopes this forum can evolve into place we can meet no matter what type of ultralight we fly or hope to fly. The EAA has served me well since I started flying. I'm a proud member.

I hang or lurk in the following http://groups.yahoo.com that are specific to my interest.
canard-aviators
Kasperwing
Kaw440

Thanks for reading,

John Anderson
Havre, Montana