PDA

View Full Version : Airframe rigging question

flyguy1117
05-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Hello all!

I'm new to the forum so please excuse my newbie ways. I own a Zodiac 601 XLB that I did not build. The left wing requires almost full trim to fly hands off. It does not matter if 1 person or 2 are n the plane it still requires near full left trim to fly level.

I worked with my A&P to adjust the ailerons to factory specifications but there is no change. The wings appear symmetrical and look the same side to side with no obvious twists or dips etc.

Does anyone know where I can find a really good rigging guy near Danbury CT? Or can you make any suggestions regarding what to look for? Please keep in mind I have never built an aircraft so some (most) of the design process eludes and baffles me.

Thanks in advance,

Joe D.

martymayes
05-22-2014, 09:07 PM
I'd make an wing incidence board, check incidence on each wing at several locations and compare. Need more incidence on the heavy wing, or less on the other wing, or both. Some airplanes have no provisions for adjusting incidence which is why you see a lot of Band-Aid fixes.
Make sure any engine/rudder offsets match the plans.

jam0552@msn.com
05-22-2014, 09:29 PM
Usually one wing is producing more lift than the other. The ailerons should not be rigged to compensate for a heavy wing. If flaps have an adjustable actuating rod or mechanism, one side's flap can be changed to increase or decrease lift produced by its wing to balance lift produced. On high wing fabric covered aircraft wing twist is increased or decreased by lengthening or shortening the aft lift strut. In the case of an aluminum wing the twist is usually built onto the structure, thus no adjustment of actual wing twist is possible. The Cessna aluminum wing design on some models is adjustable with aft wing mounting concentric mechanism. I would use a level to determine that both wings have the same or close to the same angle of incidence. That's a good starting point.
-Joel Maketello

fixnflyr
05-23-2014, 03:48 AM
Hi Joe D.
Sounds like your wing has some unwanted twist built in to it. I don't think the 601 can adjust angle of incidence. You can't adjust a heavy wing by rigging the ailerons because they will balance in flight back to their aerodynamic center. You will have to add an aileron trim tab. Make a fixed tab from some soft aluminum like 3003 or 5052. Don't use 2024-T3 or it will be too stiff to adjust easily.
Good luck
Fixnflyr