PDA

View Full Version : Equipment testing requirements

curts63
05-22-2014, 06:02 PM
I'm new to the forum and I'm trying to educate myself on what is and what isn't required. I recently purchased my first plane, an experimental Arion Lightning. It's equipped with an MGL Voyager EFIS, Garmin GTX-327, and Garmin 430W. it also has a backup airspeed, altimeter, and second radio. The glass EFIS has all the required gauges, gyros, slip/skid, OAT, etc...

My question is this, what is required testing for IFR use? I know the transponder has to be tested every 24 months, but what about the pitot static system and the Garmin 430W? Does the Garmin 430W require any kind of installation test or inspection? I do have the current nav/data updates.

Thanks,
Curt

FlyingRon
05-23-2014, 06:33 AM
No testing on the 430W except your 30 day VOR test requirement (if you want to use the VOR part) and keeping the database up to date (for practical purposes).
You need the "IFR certs" (transponder/altimeter/encoder correspondence). The closest you come to a 430W is making sure it's still talking to the encoder after the guy who does your "IFR cert" has been messing with it.

Don't forget the ELT if you have one. While it is an annual check and most people will do it at the "annual inspection" (or condition inspection in your case)

rleffler
05-23-2014, 08:25 AM
There is also a series of tests that are supposed to be performed by the installer of the GNS430. The good news is if isn't documented in your logs, it's pretty simple to do.

curts63
05-23-2014, 05:55 PM
my installer did not perform any tests on the Garmin 430W. what tests should be performed? are any of these tests mandatory and are they re-occuring?

Curt

FlyingRon
05-23-2014, 05:59 PM
If this was a certificated aircraft and you needed to comply with the STC, it would be ABSOLUTELY required. For your experimental, it's pretty much your responsibility, but frankly if you intend to fly it IFR, I would recommend you comply with the installation instructions as well as the ICA. You can find surreptitious copies of the manual kicking around in pdf form on the internet.

rleffler
05-27-2014, 06:22 AM
my installer did not perform any tests on the Garmin 430W. what tests should be performed? are any of these tests mandatory and are they re-occuring?

Curt

Like Ron mentioned, the details of the tests are in the manual. They're basically flying over know lat/lon points to confirm the accuracy of the GPS. Pretty simple to do with a safety pilot doing the paperwork and reading the lat/lon off the gps. It's basically a double check to ensure that there isn't a manufacturing defect that may show someplace other than where you are. I have no idea what percentage fails this test, but I suspect it's a very, very small number.

FlyingRon
05-27-2014, 06:55 AM
I did the tests in my aircraft as the shop didn't have a pilot who could do the flight tests. I flew, I had another Navion pilot in the right seat as a safety pilot and we through the radio shop guy in the back seat. It was all done in under an hour. Mostly you fly one GPS approach and observe that you are where you should be throughout.

It would behoove you to get some time with the simulator software or another aircraft with the same unit before you do the test flight. The time to learn how to mash the buttons to get the approach up is not in the air during the test flight (been there, done that).

curts63
05-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Ok then. What I'm understanding is this. Double check to make sure the installation was done correctly, verify by the installation manual and RFI testing. Fly to known co-ordinates with a safety pilot and verify the units accuracy. Check the VOR accuracy like you would on any other VOR instrument. And last, shoot an approach and verify the accuracy of location and altitude along the way in.

Am I overlooking or forgetting anything?

Thank you for all your help.

Curt

FlyingRon
05-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Just download the manual and be done with it. Your scope is right, but the particulars are spelled out there.