PDA

View Full Version : CoA for Foreign Warbird

Dsleslie
05-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Hi -

I am enquiring with anybody that has experience getting a Special CofA - Exhibition for a foreign warbird. I am reading the process in this AOPA article (http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/PIC-archive/Aircraft-Ownership/Business-Justification/Importing-and-Exporting-Aircraft.aspx ), just wondering whether it is possible to get the CofA issued by the FAA prior to the aircraft leaving the foreign country.

The way I read the form 8130-6, at IV, a US registered IA give the certification "The Aircraft Described Above has Been Inspected and Found Airworthy by" (3) Certificated Mechanic. Then the form is submitted to the FAA or a DAR and they sign off at V, correct? Do they need to inspect the aircraft, or just see the paperwork?

Anybody that has been through this process in Europe before?

Thanks

David

Check 6
05-19-2014, 09:00 PM
I lived/flew in Europe for seven years but didn't do this process there. You could look at this DAR list (http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?5010-CoA-for-Foreign-Warbird)and find one nearby and contact him to see if he could help you. The FAA has an office in Frankfurt, Germany and maybe they can help you. I had contact with that office when I lived there and they were very helpful.

Dsleslie
05-20-2014, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the info. I looked at the DAR list, and contacted one of the DAR but he said "Sorry, not on my authority". So I then checked what that means, and on that list that you linked to it actually lists what function the DAR is allowed to perform (eg Functon 23, Function 24 etc). So then I found DAR function codes at https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/mem/local_more/media/dar.pdf

I am assuming that I need "Code 26 — Issue recurrent/original special airworthiness certificates, in the experimental category, for the purposes of operating exhibition or air racing on U.S. registered aircraft located in the United States."

But when I check the list of DAR's in Europe, none of them appear to have Function 26 on their authority list.

As you say, maybe I should contact the FAA in Frankfurt.

Check 6
05-20-2014, 07:15 AM
You could also contact your nearest FSDO and speak with a maintenance inspector for advice.

If I remember correctly the Frankfurt office is in the U.S. Consulate there.

Or you could contact a DAR in the U.S. near you who holds the appropriate function code authorization and get some advice.

Lastly, if it is in your budget, you could hire a U.S. DAR with appropriate function code to travel with you to Europe.

pittsdriver3
05-21-2014, 06:58 AM
Why do you need to do it before it gets here? The process is pretty easy. We did two Nanchang CJ-6s and a UTVA 66. Don

Dsleslie
05-22-2014, 06:11 AM
Don

Thanks. Yeah scrapped the idea of doing before it get's here. Can't find a DAR with the correct authority.

Can I ask you, this is what I have summarized as the process, any advice for me?

1) Since the plane is Hungarian registered, I will need a Hungarian Certificate of Export Airworthiness, EASA form 27.
2) Then I will need to have the Aircraft de-registered from the Hungarian registry, and a copy of that De-Registration document provided to me (together with translation).
3) I will also need a complete a Bill of Sale from Seller, in the US FAA form
4) Then we have found a local inspector with US IA certification, I think he can sign off on the request for USA Special Certificate of Airworthiness, which I can then forward to FAA after arrival in USA.
5) Then I may need to get export Customs Clearance from Hungary.

Then the plane can be disassembled and loaded into the container for shipment to the USA. Upon arrival, we can reassemble the wings.

We can then register in USA (probably can do this before arrival I suspect). And then file the application for the Special Cert of Airworthiness. And then we get a Condition Inspection done in the USA.

Does all this sound familiar? Any advice?

Thanks

David

pittsdriver3
05-25-2014, 08:02 AM
The CJs came from the Chinese military and we bought them through a broker so we had a bill of sale from him and the export documents. Only thing we had to do is put an altimeter, airspeed and fuel quantity in US measurements. Did a lot more than that of course but the DAR signed it off with our limitations and we were good to go. The UTVA was registered in Canada and the only big deal with that is the DAR had to write up the limitations. Make sure you get a DAR that knows what he is doing because there is a lot of latitude what they can put in the limitations. Also talk to your local FSDO and see what their attitude about experimental exhibition is. Some are downright hostile and some will let you do what you want and leave you alone. I sold the CJ to a guy in Deer Valley AZ and the only thing he had to do is notify the FSDO. They rubber stamped the limitations and just changed the radius from Deer Valley. Don