PDA

View Full Version : Trouble for Blue Angels

Bill Greenwood
04-26-2014, 08:07 AM
The former leader of the Blue Angels was recently fired, due to complaints by other members of the group. It seems he may have left out the "gentleman" part of being "an officer and a gentleman".
Probably nothing criminal, but not the kind of language and behavior from a leader in a public position that is expected in this modern military.

They may have to appoint an Air Force guy ,or girl to straighten this out, we never, well almost never, use those bad words or misbehave. My favorite four letter word is likely "prop", or maybe "gear".

I think there is a tendency if you are on a demo team, and everyone is telling you how great you are, and you have a full time pr man and announcer to tell that to the crowds, that you start to believe your own hype and forget that all the training, all the planes, all the travel, all the rent a cars etc. are provided by the taxpayers and the public and that you really are not an entity separate from that and you owe the public a high standard of behavior. It may be a little like someone in movies, or the NFL or NBA or music industry who forget that once you go past talent and fame, you are still just a person.

Bob Dingley
04-26-2014, 11:31 AM
Actually, Capt Greg McWherter was relieved of duty as Excecutive Officer of the Coronado Naval Base. He was a former commander of the Blues. There have been two other Blue Angel commanders since he left. There are allegations of hazing and sexual harrasement at Coronado.

Senior officers from all the services (haven't heard of any USCG yet) have recently been relieved and investigated. Includes a significant number of USAF officers responsible for nukes. My contacts are comparing this to the Stalinist purges. The buzz that I'm getting is "If you are pro-American and favor strengthening our military, watch your step." They can't shoot these officers, but there seems to be an effort to disgrace and neutralize them as potential political opponents. Example: LTC Allen West. I'm a life member of six vet organizations (none of which has a bar) and certain that I'm getting current info that the media is not covering.

USAF pilots are rarely potty mouth? I recall language and "aeronautical terms" on the freq that made me wonder if they kissed their Momma with that same mouth. I used to hoot with these guys on the ground. Some make Maverick and Goose look like choir boys.

Bob

rwanttaja
04-26-2014, 12:40 PM
USAF pilots are rarely potty mouth? I recall language and "aeronautical terms" on the freq that made me wonder if they kissed their Momma with that same mouth. I used to hoot with these guys on the ground. Some make Maverick and Goose look like choir boys.
Probably depends on career field, environment, and (especially) command leadership. When I was operating satellites in the Air Force, you almost never heard bad words. Yet there was no stress of personal danger involved, probably made a difference.

I've worked with Naval and Air Force officers in the space industry for ~35 years, and bad language was extremely rare. These were both engineers and aviators. Stress was there, but of course, only the hardware was in danger of going two-dimensional.

I'll contrast this with a co-worker who happened to get re-assigned to a program working with the Army. He came back and said, "Boy, do those guys swear!"

If Capt McWherter has been accused of abuse in his current assignment, they'll undoubtedly look at past assignments (including the Blues) to see if similar accusations were swept under the rug. If so, expect some *real* widespread actions.

As for "Stalinist purges" in the military, rest assured, these are happening in the civilian contractors as well. Glad I'm close to retirement.

Ron Wanttaja

Bill Greenwood
04-26-2014, 10:15 PM
Bob, two points, first my part about us Air Force guys always using good language was said tongue in cheek, don't take everything so seriously.
Second, if you believe the a higher level officer is being prosecuted or persecuted just because they favor a strong military, not because of what they do, then I think you have been listening to some pretty fanciful nonsense.
Do you really think most of the others in the military who are not getting into this kind of "boys will be boys", ie bad boys, are not pro America?

RV8505
04-27-2014, 12:27 PM
The leader of the Blue Angels was recently fired, due to complaints by other members of the group. It seems he may have left out the "gentleman" part of being "an officer and a gentleman". Probably nothing criminal, but not the kind of language and behavior from a leader in a public position that is expected in this modern military.They may have to appoint an Air Force guy ,or girl to straighten this out, we never, well almost never, use those bad words or misbehave. My favorite four letter word is likely "prop", or maybe "gear".I think there is a tendency if you are on a demo team, and everyone is telling you how great you are, and you have a full time pr man and announcer to tell that to the crowds, that you start to believe your own hype and forget that all the training, all the planes, all the travel, all the rent a cars etc. are provided by the taxpayers and the public and that you really are not an entity separate from that and you owe the public a high standard of behavior. It may be a little like someone in movies, or the NFL or NBA or music industry who forget that once you go past talent and fame, you are still just a person.Once again you speak from lack of information which seems to be a common theme from you.! I know Capt Greg McWherter as he is a member of the local flying community and I have seen him around North Island NAS. He is a very nice guy and a gentelman no matter what the progressive liberal witch hunt media has cobbeled together. How come the accuser didn't come forward!? I guess today in this enviroment of turning leaders into political pauns you can accuse and wisper anonymously from the shadows to bring down our military leaders and american heros. !! I would drink with and follow the orders of Capt Greg McWherter any day!

tspear
04-27-2014, 02:11 PM
I love these kinds of threads (stated sarcastically).
There is way to much innuendo, allegations and almost no facts.

Tim

Infidel
04-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Once again, speculation. Zzzzzzzzz........

Floatsflyer
04-29-2014, 01:23 PM
I know Capt Greg McWherter as he is a member of the local flying community and I have seen him around North Island NAS. He is a very nice guy and a gentelman no matter what the progressive liberal witch hunt media has cobbeled together. How come the accuser didn't come forward!? I guess today in this enviroment of turning leaders into political pauns you can accuse and wisper anonymously from the shadows to bring down our military leaders and american heros. !! I would drink with and follow the orders of Capt Greg McWherter any day!

Forrest Gump said it best, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." So too with human beings, the most imperfect species on the planet.

How many times have you heard: but he was such a nice guy or girl; he was a really good neighbour; he was a family man, my kids played with his; never any trouble; never heard any arguments or yelling coming from the house; a model military man or woman. All of this is spoken after they go out and do something abhorant or heinous and it's just hard to believe because it's too shocking and disturbing. That's because some of us have a dark side that is heretofor unknown and not apparent in day to day living.

Allow me to give you an analogous example, a real life situation that shocked an entire country. Perhaps you remember him from all the 24/7 news reports. Back in 2010 we got to know a Colonel Russell Williams, a model military man over his 23 year career in the RCAF. Described as an elite pilot, highly decorated and shining bright star of the Canadian military. This pilot was so well respected that he was chosen to fly VIP military transports with none other than the Queen of England aboard, Prince Philip, the Prime Minister of Canada and other dignitaries. At the time of his arrest he was the Commander of the largest Canadian air force base, RCAF Trenton.

The story is long and involved and sordid to say the least, so here's the short strokes. He was charged with 2 counts of first degree murder, 2 counts of forcible confinement, multiple counts of sexual asault, and 82 counts of fetish breaking and entering(stole womans underwear and catalogued them). He spared us a long trial by confessing and admitting his crimes in less than 12 hours after being brought in for questioning. He is now a convicted murderer and rapist serving life sentances in maximum security.

He had a lovely business women wife who knew nothing of his dark side and of course all the neighbours, friends and relatives said he was a great guy. The military dug a deep hole, jumped into it and pulled over a lid rather than say they'd have a beer with him anytime.

RV8505
04-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Forrest Gump said it best, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." So too with human beings, the most imperfect species on the planet.How many times have you heard: but he was such a nice guy or girl; he was a really good neighbour; he was a family man, my kids played with his; never any trouble; never heard any arguments or yelling coming from the house; a model military man or woman. All of this is spoken after they go out and do something abhorant or heinous and it's just hard to believe because it's too shocking and disturbing. That's because some of us have a dark side that is heretofor unknown and not apparent in day to day living. Allow me to give you an analogous example, a real life situation that shocked an entire country. Perhaps you remember him from all the 24/7 news reports. Back in 2010 we got to know a Colonel Russell Williams, a model military man over his 23 year career in the RCAF. Described as an elite pilot, highly decorated and shining bright star of the Canadian military. This pilot was so well respected that he was chosen to fly VIP military transports with none other than the Queen of England aboard, Prince Philip, the Prime Minister of Canada and other dignitaries. At the time of his arrest he was the Commander of the largest Canadian air force base, RCAF Trenton.The story is long and involved and sordid to say the least, so here's the short strokes. He was charged with 2 counts of first degree murder, 2 counts of forcible confinement, multiple counts of sexual asault, and 82 counts of fetish breaking and entering(stole womans underwear and catalogued them). He spared us a long trial by confessing and admitting his crimes in less than 12 hours after being brought in for questioning. He is now a convicted murderer and rapist serving life sentances in maximum security.He had a lovely business women wife who knew nothing of his dark side and of course all the neighbours, friends and relatives said he was a great guy. The military dug a deep hole, jumped into it and pulled over a lid rather than say they'd have a beer with him anytime.Blah! YMMV! He is not Canadian, he isn't in Jail, and in America your accuser must come forward!

Bill Greenwood
04-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Floats makes a point that some criminals were previously thought to be good folks. There was recently the case of the soldier who went out and shot a dozen civilians, including women and children in Afghan. I can't recall his name, but he previously had a good record and his wife refused to believe the charges until the soldier later confessed to them.

But, in the case of McWherter we should be clear that the accusations against him are not of any violent criminal acts, but rather some crude language and a hostile attitude to women in his command. Not good, but far less serous than some violent acts. If he wasn't in a place of command and public view he might not have been in such trouble.

Floatsflyer
05-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Blah! YMMV!

Blah to you too. If I knew what YMMV meant, I'd respond that as well. You should not assume that all acronyms are known to all.

RV8505
05-02-2014, 05:43 AM
Blah to you too. If I knew what YMMV meant, I'd respond that as well. You should not assume that all acronyms are known to all.Sorry Bud, haha