View Full Version : Moving to US

04-18-2014, 08:51 AM
I am trying to help someone who is moving to the US from the UK. She will be living in the Boston area and would like to know if there are any flying clubs or Light Sport rentals available. I am also courious as to what, if any, of her license will transfer.

Here is her message as it appeared on the Sky Ranger forum.

Hi All,
I am still looking for ultralight/microlig ht/LSA clubs in New England
USA (MA/RI area) and having no luck. I am relocating from UK where I have a
microlight license (NPPL) and am wondering what the US equivalent is. I am
starting a process to obtain US certification but am getting the hard-sell
to switch to GA which I don't want to do. Thanks for any help offered.
Linda McClune

Dave NaDell
04-24-2014, 06:14 PM
If I understand the rules from your home you would not need a license in the USA because you would be flying in the ultralight category here . Flying ultralights doesn't require a license or certificate .

04-24-2014, 06:51 PM

I am 30 miles outside Boston. I believe that there is a club just south of me called "Shirley Crowhoppers". Not sure about light sport, but there are several general aviation airports in the Boston area, Beverly, Lawrence, Nashua, Stow, Norwood, to name a few. Will this young woman be looking to live in Boston proper or in the suburbs outside of town?

Best of luck,