PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Private pilot course

Bill Greenwood
04-14-2014, 08:09 AM
What did you do with the materials the one uses to get their private pilot certificate after you finished with them?
If you have one that you are not using, my Son David is interested in getting his rating.
He wants private, not just sport, and I would prefer one of those interactive CD Rom , if I have the right term, that you do your course right on the computer, and it gives you the learning, then asks the questions and grades it right there and gives you the correction for any missed problems.
He is so used to the computer that I think this is the best way to learn.
Money is tight now, so I would rather not spend $300 if we can find one that is only gathering dust on someone's shelf.
Thanks for any help.

I did mine the old fashioned way, with Jeppesen books, back in 1978, but the are a bit out of date now, and I kept them for sentimental reasons.
When I finished my com and inst courses, I think I donated the books or tapes to the library.

Bret Steffen
04-15-2014, 07:25 AM
If he is a Young Eagle he gets the Sporty's version of the course -- all interactive and online -- for free!

Bill Greenwood
04-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks, Brett, that offer from Sporty's is good, but while David has had many airplane flights from the time he was a baby, and has flown both to Oshkosh, Breckenridge, and Midland, it never occurred to me to fill out any sort of Young Eagle paperwork for him. So I guess he is not officially one.

And he is not a kid, he is 28. He has probably over a 100 hours of passenger time and has a few hours of time at the controls of a glider and a J3 Cub. His older brother Charles soloed the glider as a teenager, but never did the paperwork or took the test to be a rated glider pilot.

And for the nitpickers, yes I am sure that he would be certificated or some such term rather then rated.

Lil' Rascal
04-16-2014, 11:13 AM
I got my ground school from King Schools. I am getting ready to trade it in for there online version. (I have vhs tapes). The entire course is between $5-600. That's everything including instrument rating, multi engine, spins and stalls....everything. you might be able to get just what he needs within your $300 price range.

Lil' Rascal
04-16-2014, 11:18 AM
within your $300 price range.
Sorry I miss read your post. I thought you were will to give that much. My bad.

Bill Greenwood
04-16-2014, 06:29 PM
Thanks, "Lil Rascal". I only need the private pilot course and could buy the new from King for, I think, $299. So I was hoping to find someone who had one just sitting around that they would be willing to donate or sell cheap since it wouldn't be earning anything for them once they have finished the course.

I am also going to put up a note at the FBO which has a flight school.

RV8505
04-16-2014, 08:02 PM
What!? I bout blew chunks all over my computer screen! You have a Spitfire, Bonanza and maybe a Piper cub and big house in a left leaning 1% ski area and your asking for a free private pilot course!!?? Your killing me! Anybody with a half a brain would sell it Ebay and recoup $200.00. http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Private-Pilot-DVD-Knowledge-Test-Course-Plus-Many-Extra-Take-Off-Courses-/281253219127?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417bff8b37#ht_1370wt_1428 .

Infidel
04-29-2014, 11:24 AM
I first purchased Kings online course and later on, purchased Sportys digital course. By far, Sportys course was on par, affordable, and very well composed and presented. The ease and ability to access the course via an Ipad/tablet makes it great. He'll be able to study regardless where he is. Kings course is antiquated and will not work on an Ipad without installing a flash player app first and crashes a lot. Besides, John & Martha remind me too much of Leave it to Beaver.

jedi
05-01-2014, 05:04 AM
Don't need to buy the course. Everything you need is available on line for free. Read "See How it Flies" and the FAA publications and you have everything to pass the written and be a good pilot. You can guide him on which FARs to read. Add in the Private Pilot handbook and weather books, AIM, etc.

spydergun45
01-19-2015, 10:34 PM
I concur with Jedi, don't spend a bunch of money on courses. All I did was buy a used copy of Jeppesen: Guided Flight Discovery and read it cover to cover and did all the reviews after each section took about 6 months. I didn't move on until I thoroughly understood what they were talking about. I still use it infrequently for reference. The other option is the FAA Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. It's just as good and available for free as a PDF or can be purchased for less than $10 used.

67jwbruce
02-25-2015, 08:35 PM
I did all my prep for the commercial knowledge with the asa prepware book and cd (electronic practice test questions). 100 bucks or less. I currently have the cd with all the instrument rating and instructors questions too (multitasking)...
I also bought a book called '
Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot'
which is REAL good to help understand the hows and whys behind the FARs ...

let me know if you need links to any of these.
JB

planecrazzzy
05-07-2015, 09:57 AM
I see nobody attached an address... I refresh with tests at this site... It's free

http://www.free-online-private-pilot-ground-school.com/

My practices before I took the FAA test were at 80%.... I practiced a bunch of tests...

My Final FAA grade was 92.... The practice helped...
Gotta Fly...
JAM & "Jaz" the Flying Dogz

crusty old aviator
05-07-2015, 02:23 PM
I see nobody attached an address... I refresh with tests at this site... It's free http://www.free-online-private-pilot-ground-school.com/

Finally! The answer to Bill's question! Thank you!