PDA

View Full Version : Inspections ongoing by the EAA

Greg Pernoud
04-07-2014, 01:23 PM
I have heard that a builder, as I am, may have periodic inspections during the construction of his aircraft. I understand that this not only gives confidence in the project but may help with insurance insurance issues later. If so, how may I take advantage of this program and have my plane inspected for this purpose?

Greg Pernoud

FlyingRon
04-07-2014, 05:44 PM
The EAA itself doesn't provide inspections. The EAA has a program where volunteer Tech Counselors can put a experienced set of eyeballs on your project. This was really helpful when the FAA decided to shirk their responsibility to do any inspections of homebuilt aircraft. It's definitely a good idea, but I'm not sure it's going to mean anything to insurers. Generally, if you don't kill yourself in the first few test flights, homebuilts don't have too bad of a safety record.

Jeff Point
04-07-2014, 05:48 PM
You are referring to the Technical Counselor program. You can search for a TC in your area here: http://www.eaa.org/techcounselors/

Participation may or may not help your insurance rates, but during the final inspection (by the FAA or designee) the inspector will want to see evidence of in-process inspections, and the TC visits fit the bill nicely.

cub builder
04-08-2014, 09:51 AM
By complying with the Tech Counselor and Flight Adviser programs, some insurance companies are willing to issue hull coverage for your plane for the first flight. Otherwise, you will likely be limited to liability only for at least the first 10 hours. While that's a blanket statement, it varies significantly depending on the type and model of plane. Some very popular kits with a well proven track record may be able to get hull insurance anyway, while a one off unproven scratch built design may not be able to get hull under any circumstances.

-CubBuilder

Greg Pernoud
04-09-2014, 06:43 AM
The EAA itself doesn't provide inspections. The EAA has a program where volunteer Tech Counselors can put a experienced set of eyeballs on your project. This was really helpful when the FAA decided to shirk their responsibility to do any inspections of homebuilt aircraft. It's definitely a good idea, but I'm not sure it's going to mean anything to insurers. Generally, if you don't kill yourself in the first few test flights, homebuilts don't have too bad of a safety record.

Thank you for your reply. I think there are some guys in the local chapter that does some of these inspections.
Greg

Sam Buchanan
04-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Thank you for your reply. I think there are some guys in the local chapter that does some of these inspections.
Greg

If there is no EAA Technical Counselor in your local chapter, invite the entire chapter over for a social at your shop. There will be multiple sets of eyes checking out your project, many of them experienced builders. EAA'ers love to see fellow-member's projects and this is a great way to promote associations within the chapter. Take photos of the shop visit and put them in your build log.