PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone Using Camguard?

Bill Greenwood
03-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Anyone using Camguard? I am having a problem with a thin oil spray being thrown out around the prop seal and getting on the windshield, and it may be worse since the last use of Camguard.
This is in my 1988 B36 TC Bonanza with a Cont TSIO 520-UB.
I started using Camguard about a year ago when I was getting wear assumed to be from valve lifters. We replaced all lifters, and am not sure yet of the results. It seems we still have some wear, but may be better than before. I am trying to keep going a few more years before needing the $45,000 overhaul.
The prop seal leak was worse when using Exxon Elite oil than now with Phillips 20W-50 and it leaked even before using the CAmguard, but with this latest oil change and addition of the Camguard the leak is worse.

tspear
03-17-2014, 10:36 AM
I use it when I know my plane will sit longer then a two weeks. Otherwise, I change the oil often enough that I do not bother.
If you join BeechTalk you find extensive discussions on CamGuard, many specific to the Bonanza.

Tim

Bill Greenwood
03-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Thanks, Tim.
Don't know about airplanes, but I joined BeachTalk and Kate Upton told me the best French restaurant in St. Barts!

tspear
03-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks, Tim.
Don't know about airplanes, but I joined BeachTalk and Kate Upton told me the best French restaurant in St. Barts!

Yah, BT is rather eclectic.

Tim

Kyle Boatright
03-17-2014, 07:42 PM
I use it, but it'll be years (hopefully) before I pull the engine apart. Even then, what will my one data point say?

cub builder
03-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Camguard is a pretty decent corrosion preventative measure for engines that see intermittent (not daily) service. Once you have corrosion pitting on your cam followers, they are going to cause cam wear. New lifter units (inclusive of lifter body that rides on the cam) should correct that problem, although if there is also pitting on the cam, you may still see some small amount of wear.

Why put up with a leaky front seal? The hardest part of replacing the seal is removing and installing the prop. Follow Continental SB-M76-4 to hand sand (with light emery cloth) a helix into the seal surface of the crank before installing the new seal (whether it is plated or not). Unless your crank is otherwise damaged, that should dry it up regardless of what oil or additives you run. I always use the one piece seal and stretch it over the flange.

-CubBuilder

Tom Downey
03-18-2014, 02:16 PM
I have 1 Cessna 182 customer that has placed 300 hours on his 0-470 since he bought it, all 300 hours have had cam guard in the oil, he has replaced 4 cylinders engine is at half life.
Is this a trend? No, does it say it is any good? No. Does it say it is bad? no.

Bill Greenwood
03-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Tom, I'm not sure what you mean when you say 300 hours and engine is at half life, no engine is 600 hrs TBO?

Anway, I was hoping to get some info on the leakage I am having at the prop seal which may be worse with Camguard, but maybe no one else has had this same problem. I notice that after the oil chnge they filled it full to 12 quarts,so it may be that more than anything that contributes to leaking.

I began using Camguard after some lifter wear, and Mike Busch's experioence with almost the same TSIO 520 engines as mine. His results were that metal in the oil analysis made some improvement with Camgurd.
My semi educatd guess as of now, using it for almost a year is that it helps, and if it can save any expensive repair or parts it is worth $25 per oil change.