PDA

View Full Version : Transition from airplane to weight shift control

dougbush
02-25-2014, 06:08 AM
Question for anyone who has flown both (1) an airplane with a yoke or stick that you push for nose down and pull for nose up and (2) a weight shift control vehicle with a bar that you pull to decrease angle of attack and push to increase AOA: How hard is it to transition between the two? How many hours did it take you to get comfortable in the second category? Can you go back and forth with no problems?

Infidel
02-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Question for anyone who has flown both (1) an airplane with a yoke or stick that you push for nose down and pull for nose up and (2) a weight shift control vehicle with a bar that you pull to decrease angle of attack and push to increase AOA: How hard is it to transition between the two? How many hours did it take you to get comfortable in the second category? Can you go back and forth with no problems?

I haven't flown a weight shift control/trike but I have flown hang gliders, which is fundamentally the same. It is, no doubt, different. But transitioning isn't that difficult as it is a completely different aspect of control, wing, airframe, etc.. With some good dual instruction, I suspect you won't have any difficulty in discerning pulling/pushing the control bar for ascent/descent.

Its been a few few years since I've flown a hang glider and have accumulated a lot of hours in fixed wing, both yoke and stick since my last hang glider flight. But I have no doubt I'd be able to fly the glider again without fear of confusing th controls.

Rick Rademacher
02-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Around 1982, I owned and flew an Eipper Quicksilver weight shift ultralight powered by a 15 H.P. Yamaha engine. At the time, I was also a co-owner of a 1959 Cessna 182.

After the second bunny hop in ultralight training, I took to the skies. It was one of the greatest experiences of my fly career. I have over 200 hours of fly it and an Eipper MX . The only down side was my needing to adjust for the much faster landing speed of the 182.

jedi
02-27-2014, 12:36 PM

Took me about ten hours to be comfortable but I think I can transition students in about half that time, possibly less. Do not try it without adequate instruction. I can site more than one fatality. Once you learn it there is no problem with transitioning back and forth. It is like a bicycle. Once you learn it the mussle memory stays with you. Like riding a bike, the the training you recieve makes a lot of difference. My second son learned to ride a bike with no formal (dad pushing) training, just got on and rode. Interesting story. The secret to fast transition is understanding the system and getting the right thought process. It is not backwards as some suggest only different.

dougbush
03-01-2014, 12:12 PM
The secret to fast transition is understanding the system and getting the right thought process.

Can you articulate the thought process you are referring to?

jedi
03-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Can you articulate the thought process you are referring to?

Several methods are available. To much to type in all the info. A PM and phone call would be a good idea.

Best method is to look at the wing and lower the right wing to turn right. You do this by first looking right. Then, push the control bar left same as you would do in a car if you have your hands on the bottom of the steering whee. Note the wing pivot is over your head. You can practice by driving with your hands on the bottom of the steering wheel. Same principle works for pitch. Pull the nose of the wing down to go faster. Push nose up to flair. Flair in landing is one of the worst gotchas. If you revert to airplane and pull to stop a sinker it will cost you a landing gear. Pull in to fly above trim from 200 feet or so on down. This gives better roll control and also as you flair just relax back pressure and continue to push out to slow for landing.

If you are a sailor you can also relate it to steering with a tiller. Push left go right.

There is much more to learn than just which way to move the controls. Technique is much different. Trike pilots only fly ten percent of the time (a exagerated generalization). Most of the time they just go along for the ride. Also make two control imputs to start a roll. There is still adverse yaw. Also push out to get a better turn once banked, works better than back pressure in an airplane as G load in a WSC gives more W to work with.

One more. It is a "free wing" let it float. Trike pilots who complain about rough air or are worn out after a relatively short flight are fighting the wing.

dougbush
03-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Thanks!

How much of a crosswind can a weight-shift trike handle? What kind of wind conditions would be too rough for safe flight? What is your criteria for maximum wind or gusts that you would consider flying in?

jedi
03-03-2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks!

How much of a crosswind can a weight-shift trike handle? (A lot considering the wing loading . More than a fixed wing as far as the steady wind goes. Gusts are a different issue. Depends on the trike and wing. Because you can put the wing down into the wind when you taxi there is less of a blow over issue. I hesitate to put numbers on a list like this as some will take that the wrong way.) What kind of wind conditions would be too rough for safe flight? (That I can answer 25 G 30 I would stay at home.) What is your criteria for maximum wind or gusts that you would consider flying in? (I have been in 15 G 20 or possibly more. Steady 20 would be OK on a faster wing. Gusts limit depends on the runway on obstructions. This is considerably more than the typical pilot may be comfortable with. Come to think of it I may not have been comfortable either.)

Answers in (answer) above. When X-Wind is to high land across the runway if 150 or 200 feet wide.