PDA

View Full Version : Questions on how to transition from Private Pilot to a Sport Pilot in a LSA

beeryboats
02-21-2014, 06:27 PM
I am a non current Private Pilot that now wants to get current under the Sport Pilot regs in a LSA. It's been a while, so I'm looking for study guide advice for the Sport Pilot LSA check ride. And I'm curious if I'll have to regurgitate all the Private rating stuff that does not apply to the LSA regs. To make things even tougher, I'm a life long tail dragger guy. I just bought a KitFox IV, so I would like to fly in my own aircraft or another tail dragger.
Thanks,
Jay

Sam Buchanan
02-21-2014, 06:39 PM
I am a non current Private Pilot that now wants to get current under the Sport Pilot regs in a LSA. It's been a while, so I'm looking for study guide advice for the Sport Pilot LSA check ride. And I'm curious if I'll have to regurgitate all the Private rating stuff that does not apply to the LSA regs. To make things even tougher, I'm a life long tail dragger guy. I just bought a KitFox IV, so I would like to fly in my own aircraft or another tail dragger.
Thanks,
Jay

Get a flight review with any CFI to revalidate your private pilot license and you are legal to fly as a Sport Pilot in LSA compliant aircraft under LSA restrictions. You do not need a "Light Sport checkride" to be legal to exercise Sport Pilot privileges if you have a valid private license. A medical won't be required because the CFI can be PIC.

Your insurance carrier will, however, almost certainly require some transition time in any aircraft in which you have not previously been current. If you have tail wheel time, the KitFox should be fine for the insurance carrier. However, transition into the high drag, low mass KitFox is a prudent move for any private pilot who hasn't flown very light aircraft.

Enjoy...and welcome back!

beeryboats
02-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Thanks Sam. As all my time is in a Piper Vagabond, Clipper, or even smaller Baby Great Lakes, the KitFox will be right up my alley. I was just wondering how much different the check out was between the Private and Sport Pilot oral review was. I see much has changed.
Jay

Get a flight review with any CFI to revalidate your private pilot license and you are legal to fly as a Sport Pilot in LSA compliant aircraft under LSA restrictions. You do not need a "Light Sport checkride" to be legal to exercise Sport Pilot privileges if you have a valid private license. A medical won't be required because the CFI can be PIC.

Your insurance carrier will, however, almost certainly require some transition time in any aircraft in which you have not previously been current. If you have tail wheel time, the KitFox should be fine for the insurance carrier. However, transition into the high drag, low mass KitFox is a prudent move for any private pilot who hasn't flown very light aircraft.

Enjoy...and welcome back!

jedi
03-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Read up on the FARs both PP and LS sections. There are differences. Any current flight review will make you legal under either catagory. That plus three TO & Landings in 90 days and you are legal. Qualified in the aircraft is a different story. Kitfox has sensative ailerons. Other planes have their own issues. Get with a qualified CFI for the airplane you will be flying or be careful out there. Treat the first flight like you would on the first flight of an airplane that you just built. Set up a conservative test plan. Most CFIs are not familar with LS operations.