PDA

View Full Version : Affordable WWII warbirds?

cluttonfred
02-12-2014, 10:52 PM
Random question...other than the L series of light liaison aircraft (Piper, Aeronca, Stinson, etc.) what are some other suggestions for affordable WWII warbirds from the USA or other Allied nations. By "affordable" I mean an aircraft in flying condition for under $100,000 and preferably $50,000--much as I'd love to have some "big iron" it's just out of my price range. A Cessna Bobcat comes to mind and some of the other light transports and trainers like the Fairchild PT-19/23 or a Tiger Moth. What I'd really like is a light aircraft with some sort of historical combat role, but so far the only thing I can think of is a civilian type that may have carried bombs depth charges on Civil Air Patrol anti-submarine duty. Is there anything I'm missing, some armed light aircraft of the era? Cheers, Matthew

rwanttaja
02-13-2014, 02:27 AM
Random question...other than the L series of light liaison aircraft (Piper, Aeronca, Stinson, etc.) what are some other suggestions for affordable WWII warbirds from the USA or other Allied nations. By "affordable" I mean an aircraft in flying condition for under $100,000 and preferably $50,000--much as I'd love to have some "big iron" it's just out of my price range. A Cessna Bobcat comes to mind and some of the other light transports and trainers like the Fairchild PT-19/23 or a Tiger Moth. What I'd really like is a light aircraft with some sort of historical combat role, but so far the only thing I can think of is a civilian type that may have carried bombs depth charges on Civil Air Patrol anti-submarine duty. Is there anything I'm missing, some armed light aircraft of the era? Cheers, Matthew

I think the L-birds would qualify. After all, if you don't believe Bill Mauldin, who CAN you trust? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

cluttonfred
02-13-2014, 08:46 AM
There was Rosie the Rocketeer, the L-4 rigged with bazooka tubes, but that's not exactly what I had in mind. ;-)

I think the L-birds would qualify. After all, if you don't believe Bill Mauldin, who CAN you trust? :-) Ron Wanttaja

Zack Baughman
02-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Just for an idea of what warbirds cost:

http://www.courtesyaircraft.com/inventory%20table.htm

http://www.platinumfighters.com/#!inventory/c15ed

https://www.barnstormers.com/listing.php?main=Warbird

Tom Downey
02-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Fairchild 24 many served in the war effort. plus any of the PT series.

rwanttaja
02-13-2014, 10:57 AM
There was Rosie the Rocketeer, the L-4 rigged with bazooka tubes, but that's not exactly what I had in mind. ;-)

Then there was Frank Sinatra in "Cast a Giant Shadow," flying an Israeli L-4. When he's attacked by an Arab League fighter, he shoots back with a selzer bottle.

It does not end well.

If you're not hard-over on WWII, there's a post-war small aircraft with a documented combat record that would be affordable "Guns and Bombs" warbird: The O-200-powered Boekow/SAAB Bo-105. They were rigged up for ground support during the Biafran Civil War in the '60s.

THAT didn't end well, either.

These are available...had an EAA buddy here, once that had two of them. Anyway, a Dragonfly might make a pretty good replica.

Ron Wanttaja

CraigCantwell
02-13-2014, 01:29 PM
O-2's carried marking rockets during VietNam as did L-19's. There are a couple of QU-22B projects out there. I know of a PO-2 project that is available. There are lots out there, you need to figure out what you want to do and how much you can spend first. Buying a flyer is going to be way more than a project, but if you don't like turning wrenches, it is going to have a big impact on what you can afford to buy and fly more than a few hours a year.

cluttonfred
02-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Thanks, all, I'd really prefer something WWII, a Po-2 is a great idea as they really were used in combat quite a bit, but after reading about the Shuttleworth Collection's multiyear saga restoring theirs, I would hesitate to tackle one.

Bob H
02-13-2014, 08:21 PM
I have a friend with a beautiful Culver PT-14 that flies and most of the wooden parts/structure for another just sitting in his hangar. The PT-14 was orignally a drone for gunnery practice but bcame a piloted, fast ( 180 mph or more) aircraft with a Franklin engine. The Navy recognized it at the 100th anniversary show in San Diego. You would have to build the plane back up but it's a true WWII warbird and cheap. If interested, contact me and I'll give the owners phone in Big Bear, CA.

Bob H
02-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Here is a pic of the Culver PT-14.
http://www.pimaair.org/collection-detail.php?cid=65

cluttonfred
02-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Thanks Bob, that's an original take on a WWII warbird--a plane made to be shot down!--but is certainly and affordable option and looks like a lot of fun.

FlyingRon
02-14-2014, 06:23 AM
P-38 for sale here: http://www.trade-a-plane.com/listing?id=1740958

Floatsflyer
02-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Sorry Matthew, based on exactly what you say you want, affordable warbird is an oxymoron. Put on your best suit and go visit your bank manager. If s/he says yes, go to the websites of Courtesy Aircraft Sales and Warbird Connection. Bring Kleenex to wipe up the drool.

cluttonfred
02-14-2014, 01:58 PM
I am thinking that shared ownership in something like an AT-6 might be as close as I can get, but I'll keep looking and dreaming.

Floatsflyer
02-14-2014, 03:24 PM
I am thinking that shared ownership in something like an AT-6 might be as close as I can get, but I'll keep looking and dreaming.

Or a Harvard, RCAF version of the AT-6. Or look at a Yale, the fixed gear version of the Harvard. A partnership is a very economical and logical solution, especially when you think about the after purchase costs.

Mayhemxpc
02-14-2014, 05:09 PM
If you're not hard-over on WWII, there's a post-war small aircraft with a documented combat record that would be affordable "Guns and Bombs" warbird: The O-200-powered Boekow/SAAB Bo-105. They were rigged up for ground support during the Biafran Civil War in the '60s.

THAT didn't end well, either.

These are available...had an EAA buddy here, once that had two of them. Anyway, a Dragonfly might make a pretty good replica.

Ron Wanttaja

Oooh, Biafra babies!!! I would have really liked one of those. (But my O-2 can carry more stuff.) Actually, although Biafra did not end well, but the Biafra Babies were very successful.

Louis
02-15-2014, 02:17 PM
I am thinking that shared ownership in something like an AT-6 might be as close as I can get, but I'll keep looking and dreaming. Just choose your partners carefully if you do that. I knew some guys who had a partnership in a T-6 and one of the partners flew it inverted and drained the oil out of the engine (at least that's the story I heard) The most important consideration is having the time and money to properly maintain and stay proficient in the airplane, whatever it is. You don't want a really cool airplane that scares you every time you take it up because you don't fly enough to be comfortable in it. ...Louis

MAD
02-20-2014, 08:26 AM
A Max Holste 1521 Broussard is a nice affordable warbird to own but is post WWII. It is known as a French Beaver as it is very similar to a Beaver, P&W 985. I owned one for a few years and really enjoyed it. I am selling one now for a friend, if I can figure out how to attach pictures I will put one up here. There is an ad in Barnstormers if you are interested. Email me and I will give you all the details.