PDA

View Full Version : Can you help identify wheel?

Debbie
01-15-2014, 04:30 AM
Found this old wheel in sister's barn. Anyone know what it's from/age and possible value? The number in the tag is GX2002 and fork number GX 68. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1600vw
01-15-2014, 05:22 AM
Debbie for some reason when I see this my mind goes way back many many years ago early 60's when I worked for Carnivals that would pass through the area. This looks like something that came off a ride. I can not put my finger on it but it would pivot from the rear. It could have been an airplane kiddie ride or something like this.
I could be wrong but my mind goes back to this when I see this.

Tony

Jeff Boatright
01-15-2014, 08:39 AM
It looks a little like a Stinson Reliant tailwheel:

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/1941HistoricalAircraftGroupMuseum/StinsonReliantRestoration/pages/06StinsonReliantTailWheel.htm

Or a DeHavilland Beaver tailwheel:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5149/5661532776_19a28e104b_z.jpg

Howard DGAs also had similar tailwheel assemblies.

1600vw
01-15-2014, 09:05 AM
Jeff I would agree. But more like a Home Built then something the size of those airplanes.

Do you remember way back in the 50's and 60's they had rides that had airplanes that looked like these. They where Pulled around in a circle and would go up and down. They had tail wheels like these. When I saw this, my mind went straight back to this time period and I saw myself riding those rides.

I think it came off an amusement ride.

Tony

Debbie
01-15-2014, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the all replies! It also says Scott aviation on the fork. There's an airplane frame on the property with trees growing through it. When if possible I will try to get a picture of that. Maybe someone can put the two together.

Jeff Boatright
01-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Jeff I would agree. But more like a Home Built then something the size of those airplanes.

Tony

You make a good point about size. It may have come off of a Waco. The smaller Waco's have tailwheel springs like other small planes (Cessnas, Luscombes, etc.). But one notch up in size, like a UBA, does have a tailwheel assembly awfully close to Debbie's photo:

http://www.antiqueairfield.com/articles/show/1438-barry-branin-s-waco-uba-nc13054-restoration

Since she's just told us that the assembly has "Scott Aviation" on it, it's probably from an airplane, not a carnival ride. BUT! Who knows? Companies did weird things to stay afloat during the Depression - maybe Scott Aviation sold to airplane manufacturers and anybody else who walked through the door - cash is cash! In fact, Scott has a history of developing and selling all sorts of things.

high time cub
01-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Found this old wheel in sister's barn. Anyone know what it's from/age and possible value? The number in the tag is GX2002 and fork number GX 68. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Good find, Debbie! Purpose built glider tailwheel by Scott.

Best,

HT

Jeff Boatright
01-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Good find, Debbie! Purpose built glider tailwheel by Scott.

Best,

HT

By jove, I think you've got it! There are several images of this at a web site showing the restoration of a Waco glider:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/massey_aero/6960231047/in/set-72157629192059428/

Looks like HT wins the intertoobes for the day!

1600vw
01-16-2014, 03:23 PM
By jove, I think you've got it! There are several images of this at a web site showing the restoration of a Waco glider:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/massey_aero/6960231047/in/set-72157629192059428/

Looks like HT wins the intertoobes for the day!

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck it must be a duck.

I believe you found it.

Tony

rwanttaja
01-16-2014, 05:45 PM
After the war, you could buy Waco gliders in magnificent crates very cheaply. A lot of folks bought one, dumped out the glider, and used the crate for a shed or other outbuilding. This would jibe with Debbie's report on the airframe on the property with trees growing through it.

Debbie, while we probably solved your immediate question, some folks here (including myself) would love to see photos of that airframe. Please post a couple, from different angles.

Ron Wanttaja

MADean
01-17-2014, 06:02 AM
If it is a Waco glider, back in the trees, and it's not in too bad a shape, it could have some value to the Warbird crowd. I'd really like to see some pictures as well.

Debbie
02-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Thank you all for your help. Here are some pictures of the frame. Hard to get around it with the thorn bushes, snow and it's on the edge of the bank to the creek below. Lol. If any one could tell me what the right price would be to sell the wheel I'd appreciate it.

Debbie
02-01-2014, 11:20 AM
3669Here's more.3670

Debbie
02-01-2014, 11:24 AM
More pics.

rwanttaja
02-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks, Debbie...I'm thinking that is a Waco glider. The size is certainly about right. Also on the second shot in your second posting with pictures, one can see lightweight-tubing "Z" bracing; bracing without verticals. This looks very close to the structure in this shot, though taken from a different angle.

http://www.warbirdsandairshows.com/images/Warbird%20Sightings/waco-cg-15a-96w-1.jpg

Now, chop down all those trees and paint the tubing a contrasting color so we can get a better look at it. :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Debbie
02-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Thanks Ron. Funny guy you are. Lol maybe I'll take on that project come springtime when it's warmer! Would you know if there are people out there that would have interest in buying the wheel/ or wheel and frame. Is the frame even worth anything but scrape metal?
Debbie.

Debbie
02-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Well there are some pics. What do you think?
Debbie

rwanttaja
02-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Thanks Ron. Funny guy you are. Lol maybe I'll take on that project come springtime when it's warmer! Would you know if there are people out there that would have interest in buying the wheel/ or wheel and frame. Is the frame even worth anything but scrap metal?

You've got a tough one, there, Debbie. Normally, there are a goodly number of people who would go absolutely gaga over a warbird wreck.

However, in your case, you've got a glider. People buy warbird wrecks to restore and fly, and take trophies at air shows. However, one can't just hop in a WWII combat glider and fly it to the next state. It's a major production just to get it off the ground for a test flight (they were towed by what were, essentially airliners). There *are* people restoring Waco gliders, but it's invariably for static displays in museums. And a museum will push hard for you to donate the materials; only the biggest will whip out the checkbooks.

Plus, of course, it's a wood and steel aircraft, deliberately built cheaply, that's been sitting out in the weather for the past 70 years. MAY not be that much that someone will use.

You might try listing it on sites like barnstormers.com, just to see if there's any interest.

Otherwise...I've got three suggestions. Most areas have small history museums tucked away, here and there. You might contact them and see if any are interested. They probably won't restore it, but it might make an interesting display.

A second suggestion: Contact your local Civil Air Patrol and see if they've got some cadets who might like to recover it for their squadron. Most of the kids will think it's kind of cool.

The final suggestion: Find a sign carver to make you a wooden sign, like a foot high and two wide, that says,

WWII WACO CG-4 COMBAT GLIDER

...and nail it to a tree near the hardware. Now you've got your OWN museum!

Ron Wanttaja

Debbie
02-26-2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks Ron for all your information and suggestions!
Debbie