PDA

View Full Version : Famous WW 11 Fighter Pilot Dies

Floatsflyer
01-09-2014, 08:34 PM
William Overstreet Jr. has died, he was 92. He gained fame and notoriety for flying his Mustang beneath the arches of the Eiffel Tower in pursuit of a German aircraft. It's been said that this famous flight over Nazi-occupied Paris was credited for lifting the spirits of the French Resistance.

In 2009, the French government presented Mr. Overstreet with The Legion of Honour(what took so long?)

His obit says that after the war he worked as an accountant until he retired at age 65. I guess he was seeking a sedate vocation after probably thinking he couldn't ever do anything more exciting or exhilarating than had already been done that day over(under?) Paris.

champ driver
01-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Sorry I don't recognize his name, but I'm sure he was like a lot of other "heros" from that time, just a guy doing his job like everyone else.
After witnessing all the destruction from the war, he probably only wanted to have a quiet normal life and raise a family.
My hats off to him and all the others,

Quote from Band of Brothers,

Richard D. Winters: [real life interview with Winters where he quotes Mike Ranney on how Ranney answered a question his grandson once asked him] I treasure my remark to my grandson who asked, "Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" Grandpa said, "No... but I served in a company of heroes".