PDA

View Full Version : ADSB workaround

Mike M
01-08-2014, 05:41 AM
www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/aspectsolar14.php

ADSB out and xpdr and ongoing system maintenance plus certification compliance = big price tag

ADSB and xpdr not required if aircract does not have electrical system

Electrical system is FAA-defined as generator+electric starter etc

So. If no generator, no ADSB or xpdr installation + maint costs.

Install solar power battery charging system such as in the link instead of generator/altenator, save $$$, still have glass panel gps etc

Opinions?

1600vw
01-08-2014, 06:57 AM
I have been doing this for two years with Harbor freight equipment I purchased at a fraction of the cost of this equipment. I also have no electric system and kept my battery charged for my starter and radio system.

But one can use a wind generator and get the same results its called a Gennipod. This does not fall under the FAA definition as an electrical system for its not engine driven.

http://www.greatplainsas.com/scgennipod.html

FlyingRon
01-08-2014, 07:24 AM
The ADSB requirements mirror the transponder ones. If you're already flying transponder free, you can fly ADSB free.

1600vw
01-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Today we have some really nice batteries and I take advantage of this myself. I have no electric system in my airplane but fly using a TAS. I power this with a Lipo battery. Its a 2650 Mah battery and I have yet to use 400 Mah out of it after flying 1 hr or so. Its a 14.8 volt battery and works great.

Should I worry about fire from this battery? I think so. So this is mounted where I can get to it and chuck it out the canopy if needed. I would have to bank real hard to get it to clear the wing on my low wing, but that is better then burning.

I have used it for about 10 hrs flying and its worked great.

You can see this battery velcroed in place in the one pic. I have since the pic was taken put all wires in a loom. It looks as those wires touch those cables. They do not. The cable on the seat goes to my helmet, the tas system announces using my headset in my helmet.

You can barely see my TAS above my AIS.

Tony

Kyle Boatright
01-08-2014, 08:26 PM
www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/aspectsolar14.php

ADSB out and xpdr and ongoing system maintenance plus certification compliance = big price tag

ADSB and xpdr not required if aircract does not have electrical system

Electrical system is FAA-defined as generator+electric starter etc

So. If no generator, no ADSB or xpdr installation + maint costs.

Install solar power battery charging system such as in the link instead of generator/altenator, save $$$, still have glass panel gps etc

Opinions?

I've had the exact thoughts, even up to doing a non-electric RV-10.

One question, though. Are their altitude limitations if you don't have a transponder and (in 6 years) ADS-B?

Mike M
01-09-2014, 08:08 AM
One question, though. Are their altitude limitations if you don't have a transponder and (in 6 years) ADS-B?

yes, maybe or maybe not. carefully and thoughtfully read CFR 14.91.225, particularly paragraphs e and g.

interesting inputs so far, thank you all.

i looked into non-electric starters for an O320/O360 lycoming. such starter types exist, but megabucks and require extensive mod to fit engine. probably didn't find the right one yet.

i realized this morning that it's electrons in vs electrons out that is important. duh! an efis like dynon, mgl enigma, etc draws less than an amp, according to online info (atoi). an electroair ignition draws less than an amp, atoi. microair or similar comm, less than 100 mA on rx, atoi. "handheld" gps or iPad or android with ADSB-in, guessing less than an amp? so. the "sunsocket" puts out max 4 amps, carries 20AH in battery at beginning. if draw less than 4 amps average, should go all day without losing ground?

this sunsocket system weighs 17lbs, total, according to q&a with aircraft spruce. substitute it for the alternator, retain starting battery and keep that on a battery maintainer when parked. should be good for five or six starts a charge, right? and could use it for backup in flight if this system wound down for some reason.

this looks like a way for a day-VMC flier to save a bunch of maintenance bucks IF avoid class A, B, or C without a waiver. wonder if feds will close that door, or require ADSB for class D?

and as Tony 1600vw points out, one need not use sunsocket system, just harbor freight the needed number of amps and desired battery capacity.

what else we got, folks?

1600vw
01-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Could one mount one of these panels in a flat surface of the airframe? I think this would be a great way to do the non electric system in an airplane. Maybe not a wing but on the side of the fuse, maybe one on each side.

Tony

Jim Heffelfinger
01-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Then there is this...taking the thread to the ultimate limit......http://www.solarimpulse.com/
Lithium technology has a chemistry that has higher thermal runaway temps (lower fire danger) and cell voltages that are more compatible with 12 v based systems. There is a slight a penalty in energy density.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery

Kyle Boatright
01-09-2014, 06:12 PM
this looks like a way for a day-VMC flier to save a bunch of maintenance bucks IF avoid class A, B, or C without a waiver. wonder if feds will close that door, or require ADSB for class D?

The fed's have not closed the loophole for Champs, Luscombes, and the like in Class D, so maybe that exception is safe.

Personally, if I was going all electric, I'd carry a long extension cord and a trickle charger on X/C's. Most FBO's would probably be happy to let you plug into their outlet while you're on the ground. Alternately, you could carry a small generator to run a charger while you're on the ground.

If you're truly VFR, maybe the only electronics you'd run continuously would be the autopilot, gps, and intercom, Everything else would be on an as-needed basis. With that kind of set-up, 35+ amp*hours of stored energy, and a charging method, I don't think electrons would be your limiting factor.

Mike M
01-10-2014, 08:44 AM
If you're truly VFR, maybe the only electronics you'd run continuously would be the autopilot, ....

AUTOPILOT!!! OMG, forgot all about the autopilot! My goodness gracious, how COULD I have missed that? :)

Kyle Boatright
01-10-2014, 11:28 PM
AUTOPILOT!!! OMG, forgot all about the autopilot! My goodness gracious, how COULD I have missed that? :)

I've hand flown 6 hour cross countries and I've used an autopilot on smilar flights. An autopilot sure is nice sometimes.

Can you do without it? Sure. Same with a GPS. But life is easier with it.