PDA

View Full Version : Driving permits and aviation medicals

nomiddlemas
01-07-2014, 02:52 PM
I am about to do my aviation medical for my upcoming ground school and flight time. I also have a driving permit. Does the driving permit help take stuff off of the medical exam?

Mike M
01-07-2014, 04:28 PM
I am about to do my aviation medical for my upcoming ground school and flight time. I also have a driving permit. Does the driving permit help take stuff off of the medical

Huh? Take stuff off the medical? What stuff?

For USA sport pilot, no FAA medical required if have state drivers license. Not permit. License.

Greg Bockelman
01-07-2014, 05:17 PM
I am about to do my aviation medical for my upcoming ground school and flight time. I also have a driving permit. Does the driving permit help take stuff off of the medical exam?

Short answer is "No".

Joe LaMantia
02-04-2014, 03:43 PM
If your going after a Private Pilot Certificate, you will need a 3rd class medical certificate which is issued by the FAA through an AME (Authorized Medical Examiner). The AME is just a Physician who has completed a course in dealing with all the FAA requirements and paperwork. If you are going for a "Sport Pilot" certificate rather then the Private Pilot then all you need is a valid drivers license. The Sport Pilot will be a bit easier to get and will cost less and is a great way to start flying, if you can find a flight school that is offering that program. The only downside to the Sport Pilot route is the access, since it is only been around the last 10 years you may have difficulty finding a flight school that offers it. If you live in or near a big metro area you maybe in luck...out in small town America not so much.

Joe
;)

FlyingRon
02-05-2014, 10:17 AM
I suspect he's referring to a CDL medical card. Even so, it means nothing to your aviation medical. Even the few things that are in common the AME is obliged to check for himself.

lnuss
02-05-2014, 10:21 AM
On the other hand, IF "driving permit" means a permit to learn to drive with a licensed driver, it's not even good for Sport Pilot (age and type of "permit" weren't specified).