PDA

View Full Version : Giles G202 - any experience here?

ChrisPilot
12-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Hi

A group of pilots in Norway is looking for a decent plane for intermediate and advanced, preferably with a -360 engine to keep cost down. A Giles 202 seems like a good candidate and I wonder if there are any experience from operating this plane here, and what to look for in a pre-buy inspection?

Fly safely

Chris

WLIU
12-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Bill Finagin at Dent-Air at Anapolis, MD USA flew one for several years. Bill sold his to Jim Wells at Ithaca, NY USA who has been flying it for a few years. You can find the contact info for both by going to the IAC web site and looking at the List Of Current Judges.

If I recall correctly there are areas to look at that involve the wing attach and the landing gear. I believe that you want to see that work has been done in both areas since the original build. But Bill or Jim would know about those topics.

Best of luck,

Wes

Ken Bywater
12-22-2013, 10:38 PM
I have one G202 and the airframe seems to be pretty much bulletproof provided its been built correctly.

Ensure its not been built from a French Kit/CAP222 They used different adhesives with questionable results)
Ensure canopy has at least three locating pins on the left side (If centre one is missing then canopy can detach in flight as it flexes around the latching mechanism
Check under rudder for damage due to tailwheel impacting the rudder. There have been various tailsprings used on the G202.
Confirm engine instrumentation is in working order. As time goes by finding spares may become an issue.
Remove the undercarriage/fuselage fairings (inside and out) and inspect for damage in those areas as a likely result of very heavy landings.
If the aircraft has predominantly been used with only the fuel in the centre tank then fill the wing tanks up and leave overnight. Check for fuel leaks.
Pay close attention to the rear section of the fuselage; inspecting the bulkheads for signs of cracking (inspect from behind pilot seat and rear inspection panel). Ensure there is no rubbing of elevator control rod with the cut-out in the rear bulkhead. Ensure that rear bulkhead is about 0.250 inch thick and the cut-out corners are rounded.

It's an incredible machine, hope you enjoy it!

ChrisPilot
12-24-2013, 02:14 AM
Thanks Wes and Ken, will follow up your advice... :)

I understand there were quite some discussion about modification to the tail as a result of the loss of tailplane accident in France? Do anybody have details of this discussion and mods? Furhter comments, advice and experiences from operations of the G202 are highly appreciated.
Merry Xmas and safe flying!
Chris

Jim Ward
12-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Hi Chris,

You might get in touch with Phil Deturk, who has built and wrenched on a lot of G200s and G202s. (You can find photos of his G200 on the web; it's stunning.) If you send me a private message with your email address, I'll send you Phil's contact info.

Cheers,
Jim

rppearso
03-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Why did they stop making the giles 202 kit, did they make a kit capable of accepting a 540 engine that could reach the level of competition in a red bull air race? Seems like the MX2 and edge 540 kits are extrodinarily expensive.

cyav8r
03-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Why did they stop making the giles 202 kit, did they make a kit capable of accepting a 540 engine that could reach the level of competition in a red bull air race? Seems like the MX2 and edge 540 kits are extrodinarily expensive.

A single prototype Giles 300 was produced with an IO-540. The aircraft was destroyed in a 2005 crash.

Ken Bywater
03-18-2014, 12:06 AM

Am not sure about the accuracy of the following statement but Richard Giles's company eventually went out of business and ceased operations in 2000. The jigs and tools for production of the G-202 were sold to Chris Meyer, CEO of MXR Technologies. These formed the basis for the production of the MXR MX2 aerobatic aircraft. The first prototype flew in May 2002 (as a conversion of G-202 s/n 60). Subsequently Chris went on to modify the airframe keeping pretty much the G202 fuselage but changing the wing plan-form and adding an extra two cylinders to the the motor. At which times the dream of Richard Giles of having a cheap unlimited aerobatic aircraft went out of the window. I believe the original Giles jigs are now destroyed.

MV031161
04-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Lots of Giles expertise available....call Eric Minnis at Bully aero 336-263-8558 He as all he original everything and more about the Giles 200/202 and also the MXS MXS-R, MXS-RH and MX2! Good luck I own Giles 202 Formaly Known as Primal Fear! Am I ama professial A&P and still I let Eric do my last maintenance which included annual condition, de-bonding, replaced all the bearings and Rod ends.....He is a class act! Loves guns, politics an a good BBQ!