PDA

View Full Version : Exercising the most amount of privilages of the SP license

depkoonce
12-09-2013, 12:40 PM
All,
I've run into a little issue. I am currently pursuing a sport license rated for airplane. Even though I used to think I wanted to be in aviation as a career, I have found a love for government work and am currently in that field. Since I began at such a young age, I qualify to retire at 47 with full pension, and additionally contribute to an investment-based retirement. So, when I thought about what type of flying I wanted to do, I decided on sport simply because it embodies the "fun" intent of its students, that is, I would just like to fly because it is fun. Yes, even the more technical aspects.
I have briefly discussed what I may like to do beyond receiving the certificate with my flight instructor. He does not have experience with anything other than airplanes (gliders, weight shift control, PPC, etc.). When I mentioned, he chuckled and responded, "those aren't for serious flying." Then again, when I consider that I would like to just for fun in the future become rated for those types of vehicles on the sport (and since needing only two instructor's endorsements is the requirement, it's made easy almost encouraged).
What do you guys think? Should I ignore my instructor's comment and go for it anyways? I should also mention that over my career, I may decide, if I am able to receive additional training and flight time, by the time I retire from my primary career, I could potentially go after the SP instructor certificate, which also seems to encourage the other ratings (i.e. needing 150 hours pilot, while only 100 in powered and 50 or 75 [I forget...] needs be in an airplane, one could design it to get that with a combined total of flight time logged, so that you could receive multiple ratings very quickly or at the same time.)

Tessmacher
12-09-2013, 03:52 PM
All,
I've run into a little issue. I am currently pursuing a sport license rated for airplane. Even though I used to think I wanted to be in aviation as a career, I have found a love for government work and am currently in that field. Since I began at such a young age, I qualify to retire at 47 with full pension, and additionally contribute to an investment-based retirement. So, when I thought about what type of flying I wanted to do, I decided on sport simply because it embodies the "fun" intent of its students, that is, I would just like to fly because it is fun. Yes, even the more technical aspects.
I have briefly discussed what I may like to do beyond receiving the certificate with my flight instructor. He does not have experience with anything other than airplanes (gliders, weight shift control, PPC, etc.). When I mentioned, he chuckled and responded, "those aren't for serious flying." Then again, when I consider that I would like to just for fun in the future become rated for those types of vehicles on the sport (and since needing only two instructor's endorsements is the requirement, it's made easy almost encouraged).
What do you guys think? Should I ignore my instructor's comment and go for it anyways? I should also mention that over my career, I may decide, if I am able to receive additional training and flight time, by the time I retire from my primary career, I could potentially go after the SP instructor certificate, which also seems to encourage the other ratings (i.e. needing 150 hours pilot, while only 100 in powered and 50 or 75 [I forget...] needs be in an airplane, one could design it to get that with a combined total of flight time logged, so that you could receive multiple ratings very quickly or at the same time.)

Based on that particular response from the CFI having been seen on multiple fora, and based on the forum posted responses to it that I've seen, I'd RUN away from that instructor as fast as I could.

He's telling you that you can't enjoy driving unless you have a CDL and are hauling a bulldozer across the Rockies in a blizzard. You only want to buy lunch. He thinks you ought to pay for a seven-course meal.

Regardless of what "kind" of flying you're doing, with a Sport Pilot cert, you can take a passenger, and meeting the limitations of the cert, you're FLYING. I am sure that most people who have actually been at the controls of an aircraft would consider that real aviation. If you are the pilot in command, you're flying. Period. Sure you're not going to land at O'Hare or Hartsfield, but you can almost everywhere else. All of the new LSAs out there are, by golly, REAL airplanes! You still have to fly them.

I'm sure I'm going to get attacked for this next statement, but it is MY opinion, and mine alone. :P No one else is responsible for it: Many of the new LSAs are sexier, faster, more spacious, and better airplanes than some of the 60 year old stick and rag stringbags I've seen on some local airports. That's what *I* alone think, and I'm sticking to it. ;) I would much rather fly a brand new Sling 2 (http://www.airplanefactory.com/) or RV-12 (http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv12.htm), or Breezer (http://www.breezeraircraft.de/index.php?article_id=2&clang=1) than I would a Navion or Ercoupe that's older than my father. I'm sure those Navions or Ercoupes or Colts are fine airplanes. They're not what I want, and since it's my cash, I can have my own opinion.

You need to find an instructor who will teach you what YOU want them to teach, not what THEY think you ought to be taught. You want an SP, you get one. You find an instructor who is willing to give you what you want. It's your money, after all... Why not spend it with someone who is giving you what you asked for, instead of what they think is best for you and your personal mission?

1600vw
12-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Based on that particular response from the CFI having been seen on multiple fora, and based on the forum posted responses to it that I've seen, I'd RUN away from that instructor as fast as I could.

He's telling you that you can't enjoy driving unless you have a CDL and are hauling a bulldozer across the Rockies in a blizzard. You only want to buy lunch. He thinks you ought to pay for a seven-course meal.

Regardless of what "kind" of flying you're doing, with a Sport Pilot cert, you can take a passenger, and meeting the limitations of the cert, you're FLYING. I am sure that most people who have actually been at the controls of an aircraft would consider that real aviation. If you are the pilot in command, you're flying. Period. Sure you're not going to land at O'Hare or Hartsfield, but you can almost everywhere else. All of the new LSAs out there are, by golly, REAL airplanes! You still have to fly them.

I'm sure I'm going to get attacked for this next statement, but it is MY opinion, and mine alone. :P No one else is responsible for it: Many of the new LSAs are sexier, faster, more spacious, and better airplanes than some of the 60 year old stick and rag stringbags I've seen on some local airports. That's what *I* alone think, and I'm sticking to it. ;) I would much rather fly a brand new Sting 2 or RV-12, or Breezer than I would a Navion or Ercoupe that's older than my father. I'm sure those Navions or Ercoupes or Colts are fine airplanes. They're not what I want, and since it's my cash, I can have my own opinion.

You need to find an instructor who will teach you what YOU want them to teach, not what THEY think you ought to be taught. You want an SP, you get one. You find an instructor who is willing to give you what you want. It's your money, after all... Why not spend it with someone who is giving you what you asked for, instead of what they think is best for you and your personal mission?

Great response to this...Not much more to add but just maybe one thing...Again great response or answer to this.....

Try to find a SP CFI that has the ratings needed so if you do decide later in life to go after a PP Certificate all the training you have done will count towards your PP certificate....Please read that twice.....

Myself this is just me, but I believe if you are going after a SP for the fun of flying, take it slow learn in steps and try to get every rating or endorsement you can.

Tony

martymayes
12-09-2013, 06:38 PM
What do you guys think?

Baby steps. Get a rating and fly. When you're ready to take another step, get another rating. Fly some more. Keep going as far as you want, just don't try to do it all at once. And don't let anyone tell you no, you're perfectly capable of doing that yourself.

srbell
12-12-2013, 11:59 AM
"those aren't for serious flying."

Wow, I'm having a hard time with that one. Gotta wonder about his definition of both flying and serious.
ALL flying is serious, or it SHOULD be, regardless of your choice of aircraft! What is so not serious about flying an aircraft that is eligible to be flown by a sport pilot?

1600vw
12-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Wow, I'm having a hard time with that one. Gotta wonder about his definition of both flying and serious.
ALL flying is serious, or it SHOULD be, regardless of your choice of aircraft! What is so not serious about flying an aircraft that is eligible to be flown by a sport pilot?

Speaking for my own experiences when some look at something that just flies around the patch not leaving a 5 mile radius of their home strip or so, some view the aircraft that does this type of flying a toy. So even though the flying is " serious " the type of flying to some is toying around.

Example:

FAA inspector was at my field inspecting the Air-E-Vac team one day for I believe the 5th or 6th time in this day. He walked over and looked at my airplane. It was in for her condition inspection. He walks around her and looks her all over. He walks by me and says, without messing a step....Nice Toy...and walked out.

To some if you are not going from point A-B and just staying local, you are playing in the air. Nothing serious about this type of flying, you do it on nice days when the wind is not blowing. Some people see flying like I do as this. Really they are not far off. We have no worries about weather. If we look out and it looks bad, we stay in. We have no worries about reading charts. I need no chart to see 5 miles away. We have no worries....I love it..My type of flying.

Now will I move on.....If the regs change and Recreational PP goes as SP. You bet, I will be a PP.

Until then....No worries....Love it.

Tony

1600vw
12-12-2013, 01:35 PM
What is so not serious about flying an aircraft that is eligible to be flown by a sport pilot?

This could be said of the PP whom flies heavy Iron moving down to a SP or LSA style airplane.

Tony

srbell
12-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Tony,

Yes, I agree on all counts. I understand what you're saying, and I thought the same thing about the heavys vs our little planes before my post. My point on seriousness is I'd consider it more an issue of attitude as opposed to purpose. I take my responsibility as a pilot very seriously, even if I don't have a serious purpose for a flight other than to have fun. Many sport pilot eligible planes are quite impressive in their capabilities (speed, range, etc.) so many are capable of serious personal transportation. I just thought the op's instructor's comment was a bit disparaging. It was too broad of a generalization to be meaningful.

Jeff Boatright
12-12-2013, 04:34 PM
I have briefly discussed what I may like to do beyond receiving the certificate with my flight instructor... When I mentioned, he chuckled and responded, "those aren't for serious flying."

I don't know where you're located, but if you're anywhere near North Carolina, you might want to check out Greg Collins at Blue Ridge Sport Aviation (http://www.blueridgesportflight.com (http://www.blueridgesportflight.com/)). He has the complete opposite opinion of SA and LSA that your current instructor has. I specifically point him out to you because I had trouble finding an instructor who really understands the SP/LSA regulations and who is enthusiastic about instructing for ALL kinds of students who want ALL kinds of final outcomes (SA, PP, advanced tickets). I live in Georgia, but I found it worth spending a week in NC with Greg and simply hammering out the ticket (I already had time as a PP student, but Greg does specialize in getting you through the process as efficiently as possible even if you're starting from zero). You can train in an Aeronca Champ (LSA), or a Cessna 172, or both. Who knows, you might end up going PP, but at least you'll have been exposed to both types of equipment and environments. Plus you'll learn some mountain flying.

I'm sure others on this forum have had similar great experiences and possibly could suggest specific instructors and schools/FBOs to you that will provide you with some concrete examples.

jedi
03-01-2014, 06:06 PM
........"those aren't for serious flying." .........

A typical answer from someone who does not know what he is talking about.

Find a WSC or PPC CFI and take a ride then decide which you want to do. Start there and move on as the mood strikes you.

Like your CFI I first ignored WSC and did not think it was serious. Once I took the time and effort to check into it I said WOW, IS THIS WHAT I HAVE BEEN MISSING!!

Different strokes for different folks. I am amazed at how many of my LS students come from traditional FBOs because they get boored with Cessna flying and ATC control.