PDA

View Full Version : Lycoming IO-360M1A Engines

ktenkate@icarusig.com
11-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Hello my name is Kevin and I work for a Jet engine parts broker. We're venturing into new territory as we a have an overseas customer looking for Lycoming IO-360 M1A prop engines. The more I read about them the more I'm getting confused. 1. Is there more than (1) version of this engine (M1A)? If there is, is it interchangeable from aircraft to aircraft? Which aircraft does it go into? Any insight and information about this particular engine will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

Joe Delene
11-26-2013, 07:03 PM
All I can say is the engine has to be approved for a specific airframe. If it's not a standard installation or type, then one may have 'STC' options. I'd maybe ask Lycoming or look in more detail with respect to the specific airframe, year, model & all that. In the world of 'homebuilt' planes there is more leeway.

ktenkate@icarusig.com
11-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Thanks Joe.

Hiperbiper
12-12-2013, 10:40 PM
What you'll find is each thing changed from a baseline engine (say an IO-360A1A) results in a new part number. I.E. IO-360 A1A with Bendix mags swap out Slicks and you get something like an IO-360 D3E...
Something as simple as a fitting needed to clear the a cowling would result in a new model number!

I hope this chart helps...

Chris