PDA

View Full Version : Sad News from Galveston

Bill Greenwood
10-24-2013, 09:40 AM
My Son just called me with the sad news on the loss of a P-51 at Galveston, fatal to the Lone Star pilot and a passenger from England.
No more details, the plane went into the water near the west end of the island, doesn't say anything on cause.

Bill
10-24-2013, 12:01 PM
The P-51 that crashed between Chocolate Bay and Galviston Bay was the "Galviston Gal", piloted by Keith Hibbett. The British passenger's name is John Busby. Both died in the crash.

jjhoneck
10-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Anyone heard any more details? Was it an engine out and failed ditching? An aerobatic maneuver gone bad?

We flew over that bay just a few hours after the plane went down. So sad...

Rick G.
11-14-2013, 10:51 PM
The P-51 that crashed between Chocolate Bay and Galviston Bay was the "Galviston Gal", piloted by Keith Hibbett. The British passenger's name is John Busby. Both died in the crash.

The P-51 was not named Galviston Gal.

FlyingRon
11-15-2013, 06:03 AM
GalvEston Gal.

jjhoneck
11-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Here's an article that refers to the plane being wing's level, full throttle, and descending at a high rate of speed when it impacted the water.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayarea/article/Report-says-WWII-era-plane-was-at-full-throttle-4960543.php

An aerobatic maneuver gone bad?

Bill
11-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Many years ago I lived in Houston for a short time (fortunately only for a short time). I've successfully purged my memory of each and every aspect of Houston and its vicinity, including how to spell "Galveston."

pacerpilot
11-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Many years ago I lived in Houston for a short time (fortunately only for a short time). I've successfully purged my memory of each and every aspect of Houston and its vicinity, including how to spell "Galveston."

Damn Bill that's kind of harsh. Of course, after living here for 6 years I can't disagree with your feelings.

JimRice85
11-16-2013, 12:06 PM
When I was retiring from the Army at Ft Sam Houston (San Antonio), I was offered a job in Houston. I declined. While I loved San Antonio, the thought of living in Houston wasn't a pleasant one. I ended taking a job in Memphis because it was close to home and family. My brother and I now share a hangar.

jjhoneck
11-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Houston ia a great place to visit, as is Galveston. We fly into both areas for lunch, often.

San Antonio and Austin rock, too. We love living on the island -- in the RV, we can be to any of these great places (to visit, not live) quickly!