PDA

View Full Version : images of old rhinebeck

turbo
09-17-2011, 07:35 PM
http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/

http://gallery.mac.com/edarcy#100622...lack&view=grid (http://gallery.mac.com/edarcy#100622&bgcolor=black&view=grid)

been wanting to fly in here. perfect day flying501:thumbsup:

Anymouse
09-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Went there when I was in the 5th grade circa 1975. Saw the WWI dog fights. Loved it!! Still got my Ground Observer Jasta signed by the Black Baron (Cole Palen).

Eric Witherspoon
09-19-2011, 10:37 PM
I remember the first time I went there - I kind of knew they flew some old stuff. I walked up to a guy moving a plane along the flight line (in your photo) and asked - why are you moving those over here? He said, these are the ones we're flying today. Pretty awesome. NO, THEY ARE NOT REPLICAS. NO, there are NOT VW's or Lycomings under the cowls. That rotary (not radial - rotary) engine is REAL.

When they say the airplane is from 1917 - most all of it is. Engine and all.

They have (and fly) THE oldest FLYING airplane. 1912, I think it is.

I was able to get back there a couple of times while I lived in New England. They do 2 shows - WWI theme and Historic theme. I don't recall which day is which (one on Saturdays, one on Sundays), but I got to see both.

Joe LaMantia
09-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Thanks for sharing, this place has been on my "bucket list" since the early 90's and one of these summers I will put it on my New England trip schedule. We go back to Conn. to visit family and friends every summer and it's always the same, trying to see too many people and places in too short a time! I have been to the Glen Curtiss museum in Hammond, NY and the warbird hanger at Bradley Field, but Old Rinebeck is a real airport with actual flying that can't be beat!

Joe

Dana
09-20-2011, 11:03 AM
I used to fly in there in my T-Craft occasionally back in the mid 1980s... I'd pick up my father at Orange County (NY), then hop over to Rhinebeck. We'd wander around (fly-ins get privileges not afforded to the drive-in public), help push the planes out of the hangars, then leave just before the field closed for the show.

Saturday they fly the real old stuff (if it's not too windy) and the barnstormer era planes. Sunday is the WWI show, silly melodrama with Sir Percy Goodfellow vying with the evil Black Baron for the hand of Trudy Truelove... but the planes, as always, are real. Some are original, some are replicas... but accurate replicas.

rwagner
09-22-2011, 01:06 PM
In the summer of 1968 I had just purchased my first aircraft, a 1940 Taylorcraft BL-65. I was practicing take offs and landings at the Beaver County Airport in PA when Cole Palen and his crew pulled in with several WW-I aircraft that he brought for the airshow that was to be held there the coming weekend. Cole chided me when I landed for coming close to groundlooping several times (I was a student pilot with maybe 3 hours in taildraggers). Anyway, a few of us helped him unload the aircraft from the trailers and assemble them. It was very interesting working with him and actually handling these very rare aircraft. He was a very dedicated and down to earth guy. A great memory.

Cap'n Jack
09-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Nice photo. I've been there a few times & would like to go again. I think some (only a few) of the planes are reproductions (as exact as as possible). I remember they do list this if the plan is on static display- doesn't detract from what they've done. It's a great living museum.