PDA

View Full Version : Metric version of AN526 bolt?

TedK
09-22-2013, 08:29 AM
I have a wonderful 1977 French airplane but it is missing a few of the fasteners which are metric M4 and M5 sized. They look just like cad plated an526 bolts. Does anyone know where to get metric sized an526 bolts, or what their real spec is?

thanks

Ted

martymayes
09-22-2013, 09:10 PM
There is no such thing as a metric AN bolt. Is this airplane registered as an experimental? If it has a US type certificate, what does the parts manual say?

TedK
09-23-2013, 02:01 PM
It is an almost orphaned 1977 Socata. According to Socata they are out of bolts currently but their pricing is scary expensive...$4 for what looks like an AN526 bolt.

The parts manual says ASN512.01 G 35NC6 D4 x 10 . The D4 x 10 means diameter 4mm length 10 mm. I believe the ASN512.01 refers to a 1970s Aerospatial spec (then Socata's owner).

Anyone In Europe or UK out there who can shed light on where to get these?

martymayes
09-23-2013, 04:59 PM
The D4 x 10 means diameter 4mm length 10 mm. I believe the ASN512.01 refers to a 1970s Aerospatial spec (then Socata's owner) and .7mm thread pitch. 35NC6 a nickel-chromium alloy steel. Since it's not structural, what it does it do? Hold the engine instrument cluster in the panel? FWIW, that exact spec is probably proprietary so you'll have to buy the parts from them. They do that all the time.

WLIU
09-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Is the airplane one of the Rallye/PZL Koliber models?

I see an interesting web site http://www.flyrallye.com/ that suggests that there are some US locations that claim to support the aircraft.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

TedK
09-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Well, I thought so. But then I tried to buy some 4mm equivilants to AN526 screws. I got the invoice for $21.76 for a screw that ought to cost 15 cents from Socata.

I think I will try to tap out all the metric fasteners to English,

. On the plus side, I needed a 10mmbrass compression olive ferrule, and those were only 48 cents.

i do love Rallye.

Tk

WLIU
09-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Before you do that, may I suggest that you collect the list of metric bolts and screw that you need and give Southeast Aero, in St Augustine, FL a call. Southeasts imports and maintains the Extra airplanes. The Extra airplanes use a mix of metric and AN hardware and they may very well have metric aerospace grade hardware that you can purchase for painful, but possibly not excruciating $$.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

weiskopf20@gmail.com
10-09-2013, 12:59 AM
Years ago when I had a YAK-52TW, I used Metric Screw and Tool Company.... www.metricscrew-toolco.com (http://www.metricscrew-toolco.com).
The person I spoke with was able to supply me with a complete stainless screw kit for my A/C and any oddball nuts and bolts I needed. What you show are non-structural screws. besides the AN-526 and AN526C there are also the truss-head versions. I suggest that you look up AC-23-27,Parts and Materials Substitution for vintage Aircraft. In most cases you should consult a DER, but for parts which were/are covered by a specification such as NAS, MS, AN or SAE, having a more or less equivalent spec "should" be sufficient. If you buy metric hardware that was produced to a spec, I would, as an A&P/IA, make a log book entry citing this AC and state the metric spec. Life goes on. This rules out the local hardware store's metric parts which have no traceability to a spec. Others my not concur......Pete

douglish
10-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Warp drive when selling a propeller to run on Rotax / Hirth, supply metric (looks like cad) plated bolts for prop attachment. While they would not stock other sizes, they may be able to help with a source. I am talking about the very helpful owner of Warp, not the strange guys who run a "Warp" website. After that - try Airbus?