PDA

View Full Version : How about some reports about the UL activity at Airventure!

Ken Finney
08-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Or lack thereof, or whatever.

sonex293
08-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Wow....Nothing?

==
Mike

Bill Berson
08-10-2013, 08:49 AM
There was two electric ultralights flying at Airventure 2013.
Mark Beierle and his electric E-Gull
And the commercial E-Syder

Some larger LSA also did demos every day.

jedi
08-27-2013, 04:30 PM
A pterdactal and one trike vender (not FAR 103). New owner of Aerolight 103 was there as was the Mosquito with 103(?) helicopter. The Farm had many improvements and $$$ spent to install a 10 foot high chain link fence to eliminate the "Escape from Camp Oshkosh". Nice show but a bit quiet. Not at all like the flying done in the "good ole days". The most practical UL was the electric hybred golf cart (peddle assist) offered by the former UL manufacturer. Tells you where the future of aviation is going.
Aerolight looks like the best deal for $16,000 ready to fly.

Downs
08-27-2013, 05:12 PM
If I had 16 grand layin around I'd go buy one ready to fly today. I only see the future of GA going slowly into the night. I'm a younger guy at 28. I say younger because most of the people I know involved in general aviation are older folks. Much older than me.

IMO there's just not much of the general population anymore that believes they can afford to fly. I honestly don't blame them it's not cheap even on the UL side. At least not compared to other recreational activities such as motorcycles, or something like that.

I believe that I may see the end of General Aviation in the sense of common citizens flying around in my lifetime.

jedi
08-29-2013, 05:38 PM
If I had 16 grand layin around I'd go buy one ready to fly today. I only see the future of GA going slowly into the night. I'm a younger guy at 28. I say younger because most of the people I know involved in general aviation are older folks. Much older than me.

IMO there's just not much of the general population anymore that believes they can afford to fly. I honestly don't blame them it's not cheap even on the UL side. At least not compared to other recreational activities such as motorcycles, or something like that.

I believe that I may see the end of General Aviation in the sense of common citizens flying around in my lifetime.

Downs,
I would to hear more of your comments.
1. What would you consider and affordable aircraft?
2. How much could you afford for the initial purchase?
3. If the aircraft were more useful would you be willing to pay more?
4. How much would you be able to afford for a "good" airtoy (no practical use, just fun as required by FAR 103)?
If you are williing to go into more detail, please copy questions and answers to a new thread for continuing comment. "What is an affordable ultralight aircraft"

martymayes
08-29-2013, 07:11 PM

That has always been the case, nothing new here. .

Not sure how you define "common citizen" but GA has never been an activity embraced by the general population. The number of pilots in the US adult population has been around 3-5% for the past 30 yrs.

The pilot population has been steadily declining but it's doubtful cost is 100% responsible. There are ways to fly inexpensively, the competition for free time and discretionary dollars has never been greater.

GA will still be here 30 yrs from now although it may look somewhat different.

rawheels
08-30-2013, 08:15 AM

Couldn't agree more. However, I feel the business is going to fail for the new owner. Without a two-place option for demo rides/instruction or a dealer network to push the model, I don't see how many are going to be sold.

Buzz
09-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Without a two-place option for demo rides/instruction or a dealer network to push the model, I don't see how many are going to be sold.
Amen. Having to transition a potential pilot into an aircraft in order for them to take a test flight is a pretty hard way to sell 'em!!!

zaitcev
09-19-2013, 07:26 PM

Aerolite 103 (no really, it's spelled that way) seems very nice, but as far as I can tell it's not easily foldable. I saw an interview with the new owner, Dennis Carley, taken at Sun'n'Fun this year. He said that they stood up the production at his shop and sold 6 with 3 on order. I presume Dennis himself made it to Airventure. Supposedly the new production Aerolites should be every bit as good as old ones.

Another intriguing report from Sun'n'Fun was Kolb propreitor, Bryan Melborn, promising to start offering an RTF Kolb FireFly. That might be the first factory produced aircraft for Kolb. I hoped something would be known by Airventure time. FireFly is foldable into a very small footprint, because its tail folds too. I saw videos of people keeping them in urban garages.

I think FireFly, Belite, BYF, and Aerolite offer the best in RTF Part 103 ultralights today. BYF used to make appearance at every Airventure, but this time Larry brought his own 100 hp overpowered version. Nice, but not ultralight.

zaitcev
09-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Amen. Having to transition a potential pilot into an aircraft in order for them to take a test flight is a pretty hard way to sell 'em!!!
Dennis offers transition training for Aerolite buyers in an N-numbered Quicksilver under LODA he has. Supposedly it flies similarly, and one should be able to check him/herself out in Aerolite after that. During the WWII they checked themselves out in P-47, which never had a dual control version (unlike P-51), remember.