PDA

View Full Version : Tailwind discussion, specifically the W-10

Chad Jensen
07-19-2011, 08:57 PM
So I'm ready to start my Tailwind build, and I'd love to see a good thread with thoughts, details, options, recommendations, tips, gotcha's, etc...I'm a member of the Yahoo group and there is great info there, but the format leaves a lot to be desired. Let's talk it up here!

martymayes
08-04-2011, 09:24 PM
I am glad to see the resurgence in Tailwind popularity over the past 15 yrs. The just keep hatching, can't keep a good airplane down!

Mike Switzer
08-04-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm curious, what made you go from an RV to a Tailwind?

One of my brain cells seems to think someone in Champaign is building one, but if I knew who it is I forgot. Do you know Dave Boyd? He would probably know who it is.

Chad Jensen
08-05-2011, 07:17 AM
I am glad to see the resurgence in Tailwind popularity over the past 15 yrs. The just keep hatching, can't keep a good airplane down!You got that right! For what they do compared to others in the class of airplanes, they are nearly unbeatable.

Chad Jensen
08-05-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm curious, what made you go from an RV to a Tailwind?

One of my brain cells seems to think someone in Champaign is building one, but if I knew who it is I forgot. Do you know Dave Boyd? He would probably know who it is.I guess the main reason would be because I want to build again (badly), and the Tailwind does what the RV does on a much smaller budget. The RV-7 (all RV's) is a fantastic airplane...truly Total Performance as they company motto states, but with a strong itch to build again, I really want to scratch build something that has the same mission profile as the RV.

I know the name Dave Boyd, but can't place him...there used to be a Tailwind in Danville, haven't heard of one being in Champaign, but that doesn't mean anything...

Chad Jensen
08-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Mike, I just got an email from a buddy...whom I think you know well...that the gentleman you may be referring to is John Severson from Homer. Sound right? Word is he's building a Buttercup, similar to the Tailwind, but older in design by 16 years.

Mike Switzer
08-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Chad, it is possible the guy in Homer is who i was thinking of, not sure. Dave is the DPE that gave me my Instrument checkride a few years back, I think he is building a Pietenpol.

Chad Jensen
08-05-2011, 10:05 AM
I think you are right...I just talked to one of our instructors here at work, and the reason I know the name is because that's where we send all of our students for check rides now.

Mike Switzer
08-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Here are some files I scanned in from the 1973 Air Progress Sport Aircraft Annual

Chad Jensen
08-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Thanks for posting those Mike! Good stuff! :cool:

Mike Switzer
08-08-2011, 07:48 AM
You are welcome. I never throw out anything printed if I think it will be useful later.

I did notice an error in the tailwind article (which is obvious if you read both) - I guess magazines have always had editing problems. :) See if you can find it.

Chad Jensen
08-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I'll give it a read tonight and see if I can find it...;)

Chad Jensen
08-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Either my eyes glazed right over the error, or I'm still short on early details of the Tailwind...where was the error? I'm sure it will be blatantly obvious when you point it out Mike!

martymayes
08-09-2011, 09:19 AM
I didn't see any obvious errors either.

I used to be an avid Air Progress reader as well, but I don't think I saved any magazines. :eek:

Mike Switzer
08-09-2011, 09:59 AM
On the first page of the Tailwind article top of the right column it says Wittman's plane uses a 145 hp 4 cyl continental from a Cessna 172.

The other article correctly says it is a 6 cyl.

Chad Jensen
08-09-2011, 10:02 AM
LOL!! Something so simple. I didn't catch that about the O-300. Good eye!

Adam300
07-24-2013, 12:21 PM
I am looking for a high wing 2 seat side by side plane to build from plans. How are the Wittman Tailwind plans? Any other suggestions besides the Tailwind for a wood or tube and fabric design?

Chad Jensen
07-24-2013, 12:45 PM
The Tailwind plans are okay...some details are hard to come by as they come from Spruce. You will definitely want the Clement mods and Jim Stanton's manual for clarification.

Other two seat side by sides to choose from...Wagabond, Christavia Mk2, Buttercup