PDA

View Full Version : writting the pilots hand book for an original design

Norman Langlois
08-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Before I can begin I yet need to do a lot of documentation as well as tweaking.

I sure cold use some help with this. If I post the stats can some of you help with comments .
pointing at standard documents ,I can purchase or download.

The build was such a R&D. I did not use a standard building log. I have only a photo history.
And the now final flying result. I now need to revers engineer the result and gather the flight data .With only the original weights and balance data.
Unfortunately I do not get much flight time being a still working individual week end flight are often canceled.I only now feel comfortable to divert attention to gauges and gathering data inflight

Sure would like a partner in this in devour but I doubt one exists locally to me.
I am just tired from the long task of doing this build I feel lost with no beginning.

On the subject of tweaking I lost the web page that covered some very usefull engine data relating to 2 stroke generally Rotax but versatile info Any help with that source ?

The engine performs well but guzzles gas, oink oink about 3 GPH.Is that normal ? I believe I could do something about that but wish not to fly with a lean risk factor. The engine I used is not Rotax but rather a 440 Kawi
Some know data cruise 55mph full throttle. stall some where below 35 mph that happens so fast I dont dare press my unskilled luck .
I would like to figure out the optimum prop pitch .I worry about excessive heat and unnecessary engine failure

I_FLY_LOW
08-02-2013, 08:49 PM
What's the back story? Build thread, perhaps?
What plane / engine are you referring to?

Norman Langlois
08-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Sorry New threads are seen by new audiences I thought it was obvious so I did not point to Norms flying boat. The 8 year history of posts go back into Oshkosh 365. Those are harder to get to. under another thread Building a scratch built Ultra light.

I am the designer, engineer and builder .I did it without any aeronautical degree or any other degree .I am a professional machine fabricator with multiple skills .The task was overwhelming I am just burned out.I now need to go back over every thing and document. Some of which I have not the education to perform.
The engine I stated that its a 440 kawisaki 2 stroke It has a 68 inch 2 blade ground adjustable prop on a 7.2 to 1 micro-V belt drive
The plane is A Seaplane only configuration. 26.6 ft wing span with Hoernier wing tips effective span is 27.6. the airfoil is a USA 35 modified with 12inch flapperon 8ft long per wing an all flying elevator of stabilator is an inverted A symmetrical airfoil
Take off speed has varied and is now unducumented
The tri float system works extremely well and is very nontraditional.
Empty weight has been up and down and is now undocumented. but should now be as near to the allowed weight for the configuration of this 103 -7 allows. about 303#
total Length undocumented .

jedi
08-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Norm,
ASTM has a standard for LSA manuals, POH (Pilot Operating Manual), etc.. ASTM charges for the standard but you should be able to download a manual for certain LSAs and copy the chapter format and number sequence. They will be much more detailed than you need so no need to include all that they do. Just cover the basics and use the same sequence of chapter titles, Description, Limitations, Performance, Weight & Ballance, Normal Operations, Emergency Operations, etc. Manuals are not really necessary until you start selling kits, even then it is optional for an UltraLight. Good idea though.