PDA

View Full Version : Tapatalk

jhausch
07-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Is this going to be usable with tapatalk? That's an app for smartphones that makes vBulletin boards very accessible/usable. Not sure the specifics about liking them up, but if you can, please do.

Love the new format.

Hal Bryan
07-20-2011, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback! We're very interested in Tapatalk and we'll be looking at what it takes to get that implemented once we get through AirVenture.

Cheers -

Hal

sdilullo
07-20-2011, 10:02 AM
I'd love this as well - it would be great to have easy forum access on the go via my Droid.

mikeinbama
07-20-2011, 04:19 PM
+1

Barren
07-26-2011, 03:13 PM
+1

It's a VERY easy plug-in to install and it's free for the servers. I've loaded it on a couple of forums that I administrate, it's very useful! Plus, each additional forum you can use on your phone, makes the buck or two investment all that much more useful!

Barren
08-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Bumping this up as a reminder. :) If you mobile device users out there haven't checked out tapatalk on your smartphone/tablet/etc... you should! It is great for reading, posting, and even has moderator tools so you can moderate your forums on the go! Free plug-in, the app for the device has a small charge, but I've found 4 forums already that I like to read on them and it's so nice the way it takes all the clutter but still allows you to see pictures and post.

Eric Page
08-23-2011, 04:19 PM
+1

Adam Smith
08-23-2011, 09:05 PM
I downloaded tapatalk and browsed some aviation forums. On both iPhone and iPad the experience seemed inferior to just browsing the site in Safari. What am I missing?

Hal Bryan
08-24-2011, 07:02 AM
I don't think there's any appreciable value on the iPad, but on the iPhone (and, presumably, smallscreen Android devices as well), Tapatalk's finger-friendly interface beats panning and zooming in mobile Safari for me, hands-down. I had a demo of the moderation tools on an iPhone last night, and it was considerably easier to manage threads, etc., with Tapatalk.

Barren
08-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah, not that useful for iPad but on smaller screens it's wonderful, no zooming in and out or scrolling back and forth. It automatically resized pictures too.

Hal Bryan
08-24-2011, 04:24 PM
It came up today in a meeting, so it's definitely on the radar. We'd like to support it for those people that want it, but the pop-up when hitting a site on a mobile browser is a deal-breaker. I just started looking at Tapatalk forums, and it looks like there's a simple way around that ... we'll see what I can find out.

jhausch
08-25-2011, 07:16 AM
It came up today in a meeting, so it's definitely on the radar. We'd like to support it for those people that want it, but the pop-up when hitting a site on a mobile browser is a deal-breaker. I just started looking at Tapatalk forums, and it looks like there's a simple way around that ... we'll see what I can find out.I am unfamiliar with the pop up you are referring to. I run tapatalk on my android for PoA and "the Purple Board" and It seems to be fine.I do agree with earlier posters that tapatalk is not as "valuable" if working from an iPad, but great from a smaller interface.

Barren
08-25-2011, 08:43 AM
It came up today in a meeting, so it's definitely on the radar. We'd like to support it for those people that want it, but the pop-up when hitting a site on a mobile browser is a deal-breaker. I just started looking at Tapatalk forums, and it looks like there's a simple way around that ... we'll see what I can find out.

The pop up he's referring to is if you open up the forums in a browser (on your mobile device) versus the app, it says something along the lines of "There is a mobile app available to view these forums, click okay to learn more" and if you click okay, it takes you to the tapatalk site to buy the app. If you click cancel, it will continue to the page. I totally understand your want to remove that from the plug-in. They are pushing their product, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I can see from a marketing standpoint where some people might think you are forcing them to buy the app instead of just making them aware that there might be a better way for them to browse it if they want to buy it.

I may have to hit up the tapatalk forums for another suggestion, I wish there was an option to open a link in tapatalk from an email. If I'm subscribed to a thread and I get a notification with a link in email and click on it, it takes me to the page in safari instead of within tapatalk.

jhausch
08-25-2011, 02:31 PM
@Barren - thanks, now I get it.

Eric Page
09-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Hal, has there been any more discussion of this among the powers at HQ?

If the Tapatalk (http://www.tapatalk.com/index.php) plugin is a no-go, there are a couple of others. Forum Runner (http://www.forumrunner.com/) is probably the next best after Tapatalk.

Joda
09-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Hal,

I too would love to be able to use Tapatalk (or similar) to view the EAA forums. I use it for several other forums I frequent and it works great on my android phone. Hope EAA sees the way clear to get this working.

Thanks!!

Eric Page
10-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Bump. Any movement on this in the last few weeks?

Hal Bryan
11-01-2011, 06:56 AM
Hi Eric - everything is basically ready to go, I'm just waiting to work my up our IT guys' priority list as I need them to do a little bit of work on the server side. I'll post here as soon as it's up and running.

Clarke Tate
11-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Hello Hal,
I use Tapatalk for a few other forums. My iPhone allows posting and reading when I have down time on the road. This is would be part of the many diverse ways information is exchanged, as opposed to simply Sport Aviation, and would be very welcome!

Hal Bryan
11-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Okay, Tapatalk is installed and seems to be working - I've just done a cursory pass on my iPhone, so if those of you that already use the app could give it a try and let me know if you see any issues, that'd be great.

You'll find it in Tapatalk's directory under "Aviation." :cool:

Hal Bryan
11-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Replying from Tapatalk.

Clarke Tate
11-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Tapatalk test from my iPhone.
I look forward to giving this a try.

Hal Bryan
11-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Looks good, Clarke. Trying a geotag now myself...

Hal Bryan
11-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Trying a geotag now myself...

I don't see that the geotag does anything. And when I try to view geotags (non-specific to our forum) on Tapatalk on the iPhone, it just crashes.

I am officially not worrying about that. :)

Jim Hann
11-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Great, more money to spend!!! (Note to Hal, I'm not complaining per se, just don't tell my wife!)

Hal Bryan
11-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Great, more money to spend!!! (Note to Hal, I'm not complaining per se, just don't tell my wife!)

Mum's the word, Jim! (Heck, I'll even spot you the 3 bucks for the app - my interest rates my not be competitive, but at least I'll be quiet about it. ;) )

Jim Hann
11-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Mum's the word, Jim! (Heck, I'll even spot you the 3 bucks for the app - my interest rates my not be competitive, but at least I'll be quiet about it. ;) )

Thanks Hal, I've got the cash! :) I've got a old 3GS but my wife desperately wants to switch to Sprint. Darn! I guess I'll have to get a 4S. :D (See, more money, but she won't notice the phone cost. The $3 for Tapatalk she will notice!) Actually, I think she is thinking about jumping on the iPhone bandwagon, as soon as the kids teach her how to use it. It's the life I live!

Looking forward to trying Tapatalk!

Jim
PS, I haven't told her yet that I want to attend Hops & Props, shhh!!!

Hal Bryan
11-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Understood, Jim! And I'm getting used to forgiving the ever-growing list of people that have upgraded to the 4S before me... :) (AT&T seems to think I should wait until March.)

Fingers crossed for Hops & Props!

Eric Page
11-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all your work on this Hal. I'm looking forward to being able to keep up with the forum while I'm on trips.

Clarke Tate
11-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi Hal,
For me geotag worked too well. You could come knock on my workshop door! I'm seeing if I can make it more general. I like being able to view posts this way though!
Clarke

P.S. On my iPhone 4S the geotag location didn't crash, but was far too accurate with no real purpose. I have turned Location Services off for Tapatalk.

jhausch
11-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Hey, sorry it took so long for the OP (me) to pop back in. This is great. Thanks

Barren
11-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Testing... Looks to be working. Nice work!

Jim Hann
11-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Got Tapatalk up and running. Cool!!!

Hal Bryan
11-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Glad to hear that some of you are using and enjoying it. For me, it's indispensable when I'm on the go and need to do forum stuff via the iPhone. Like on Saturday evening when my wife and I were headed to her office's Christmas party and I made her wait in the car with me for an extra 30 seconds while I deleted a couple of spam posts... :)

Jim Hann
11-29-2011, 04:15 AM
... I deleted a couple of spam posts... :)

And for that we are thankful too. Did you get "the stare" or is she used to it?

Jim

Hal Bryan
11-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Did you get "the stare" or is she used to it?
Jim

We call it "the look" and, yes, I got it, but she's definitely used to it. I think that's why it's only a look, and no longer a stare. :)

Jim Hann
12-01-2011, 03:32 AM
We call it "the look" and, yes, I got it, but she's definitely used to it. I think that's why it's only a look, and no longer a stare. :)
Well, give her my thanks for the time. I enjoy not seeing spam and I throughly enjoy what you and the others have done with this new board.
:thumbsup:
Jim